WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Images

Thumbs up Liberty Springs A-OK

Stayed here two nights about a year ago while doing some hiking on Franconia ridge. Basic Info: Ten tent platforms on the hillside directly off the trail. Privy, Reliable spring(I drank without treating...no ill effects, but wouldn't recommend this course of action for others.), nice view point to watch sunset, Has a caretaker who charges $8 per night. In 2005 the caretaker was Anthony from CT. A very nice and friendly guy. I enjoyed my stay at Liberty Springs and intend to stay there again. 'Nuf Said.

was up there last week. Great site, clean privy. Water was good and flowing nicely. It was cold and windy but a great spot to stop for the night

Images

Spent the evening up there on Sat, Oct 8. Good spring, decent privvy, tent platform was a bit hard though . There is a nice possible "unofficial" tent or hanging site on (just off) the Franconia Ridge trail / AT about 1/2 mile north of the where Liberty Springs trail intersects it.
    "That's the thing about possum innards - they's just as good the second day." - Jed Clampett

AT 4000+, LT, FHT, ALT Blissful's Avatar
    Journal Entries
    Images

I saw those last summer, some good spots in the trees (below treeline so should be fine).

Hiking Blog
    AT NOBO and SOBO, LT, FHT, ALT
    Shenandoah NP Ridgerunner, Author, Speaker

Was up at LS last weekend. Lots of foot traffic. We had a nice private tent platform. Great place to stop and camp. About a 10-15 hike to the summit of Liberty. Great Sunsets. The water is always great.
    The "campspot" on the ridge is nice. There are 2 spots that have been "cleared". They are still too close to the trail in my opinion but people are camping there. A lot of the area above Liberty Springs and the Ridge trail is marked off as a revegetation area and to stay out. We have had lots of rain lately so its growing in pretty quickly. The spots that people have used in the past on the way to Little Haystacks are being marked off as well. If you want to hang or tent in this area, do it down towards the Flume Slide intersection before the climb starts. There are signs all over as to where you can and can't camp. Its pretty much within a 1/2 mile radius of the shelters and tentsites and 1/2 mile from roads and trailheads.

++ New Posts ++