WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Default Simple strong hammock

I'm looking to buy my first backpacking hammock but I don't need all the bells and whistles of the hennesey hammock. I live in the desert, so I don't need bug netting. It also rains very little here, so I don't need a rainfly. It just needs to be simple and be able to support 250lbs. It would be nice if it was easy to hang as well, and roomy. I have very wide shoulders. Thansk for the help.

Can you sew enough to put four hems in a piece of fabric? You can make your own for about $10. And probably more comfortable than one you buy, too.

But after you make one, it'll become an addiction and you'll be making all kinds of stuff.

Seriously...my homemade ones are more comfortable than store-bought ones.

I made my own quilt, I won't sew ever again. I'll buy one this time.

I think this one meets all your requirements. I've had one for about three years and I love it! Its great for warm weather.http://www.campmor.com/webapp/wcs/st...0226&langId=-1

For $10, you can buy everything you need at Wal-mart plus you don't have to sew a thing. TestHammock http://www.imrisk.com/testhammock/testhammock.htm

Quote Originally Posted by Just Jeff View Post
    Can you sew enough to put four hems in a piece of fabric? You can make your own for about $10. And probably more comfortable than one you buy, too.

But after you make one, it'll become an addiction and you'll be making all kinds of stuff.

Seriously...my homemade ones are more comfortable than store-bought ones.
    Quote Originally Posted by Ridgerunner50 View Post
    For $10, you can buy everything you need at Wal-mart plus you don't have to sew a thing. TestHammock http://www.imrisk.com/testhammock/testhammock.htm

Well, I made a test hammock last weekend, spent some time each night re-tooling, making adjustments for comfort, warmth, etc. Spent every night last week on my back porch testing it out. I've added a ridgeline, drop-quilt (over the ridgeline), under-insulation (Walmart egg-shell pad, double-bagged sleeping bags), various gear bags hanging off the ridgeline...no bug netting or tarp yet.

I've made two so far and have plans for......you get the point. I haven't sewn a stitch yet, but I'm gonna ask a co-worker to put in a few hems for me. Haven't spent more than 15 bucks yet, including materials, webbing, ropes, padding....

....this project feels a little more addicting than stoves...probably because there are more options....

...I still consider myself a ground sleeper: I've yet to hang on the trail.

I made a test hammock out of polyester. The farbric is super thick like a table cloth I used 12 ft of matieral. After tying my knots in the fabric it beacame really short. I'm 6ft and my legs extend past the knot and on to the webbing. It seams I've made my knot as small as possible. What can I do to get more fabric back? Also if I were to swich to rip-stop, what 1.9 be enough to support my weight? 250lbs

Quote Originally Posted by domromer View Post
    I made a test hammock out of polyester. The farbric is super thick like a table cloth I used 12 ft of matieral. After tying my knots in the fabric it beacame really short. I'm 6ft and my legs extend past the knot and on to the webbing. It seams I've made my knot as small as possible. What can I do to get more fabric back? Also if I were to swich to rip-stop, what 1.9 be enough to support my weight? 250lbs

Are you SURE you got 12 feet of material? Losing 6 ft in the knots sounds fishy. How much material is there AFTER the knots? How about your position in the hammock? Could slide up a little more? Remember the ideal position is on the diagonal.

I used ripstop, not sure if 1.1, 1.3, 1.9, whatever. Just the ripstop nylon in the $1 bin. It holds my 230+ lbs no problem.

The TestHammock is a cheap, easy way to see if you can sleep comfortably in a hammock...but it's for testing. If you're planning on using one long-term, be sure to inspect it frequently. Laying in it, and especially getting in and out, stresses the unhemmed long edges and will probably eventually cause a rip. Hemming at least the long edges means the exposed/stressed area is rolled over, so it's not as likely to rip. Risk has agreed with that on one of the forums...I think it was Yahoo. JMHO, though - it's worth the spending two minutes on two hems. A tailor shop will probably do it for less than $10 if you don't know anyone who sews.

But for that you might as well spend $20 on a Byer (the version w/ no bug net)
    Last edited by Just Jeff; 11-05-2006 at 20:44.

Quote Originally Posted by saimyoji View Post
    Are you SURE you got 12 feet of material? Losing 6 ft in the knots sounds fishy. How much material is there AFTER the knots? How about your position in the hammock? Could slide up a little more? Remember the ideal position is on the diagonal.

I used ripstop, not sure if 1.1, 1.3, 1.9, whatever. Just the ripstop nylon in the $1 bin. It holds my 230+ lbs no problem.
    Nope, It was actually 10ft 4" I'd say there is about 4" abouve the knot, but the not is huge like the size of a fist.

Where did everybody find this 1$ ripstop. The cheapest I found at joannes or wallyword was 5$ a yard. My whole thing came out to 23$

While looking up fabrics online. I found an ebay seller who has very good prices on outdoor fabrics.

http://stores.ebay.com/Top-Quality-F...QQftidZ2QQtZkm

Quote Originally Posted by arkwater View Post
    I think this one meets all your requirements. I've had one for about three years and I love it! Its great for warm weather.http://www.campmor.com/webapp/wcs/st...0226&langId=-1

I like the look of that one, Did you need to use extra rope to hang it while camping. Or was what came with it enough?

I like the look of that one, Did you need to use extra rope to hang it while camping. Or was what came with it enough?
    Actually I found the rope to be too stretchy for my liking. It was easily replaced with some tubular webbing I had. The factory ropes only pass thru the end, so you can just pull them out and use whatever you like. I think it's the most comfortable hammock I have ever lain in. There not real popular with the backpacking crowd, I think it's because the ads are so cheesy looking. It really is a quality item though!

The $1/yd ripstop is on the Walmart bargain bin...not on the actual fabric racks. And the ladies usually don't know much about it, so you have to know ahead of time what you're looking for. They usually have some form of ripstop, sometimes have DWR, and every now and then have silnylon.

If you can untie the knots, try whipping the ends instead of knotting them.

While looking up fabrics online. I found an ebay seller who has very good prices on outdoor fabrics.

http://stores.ebay.com/Top-Quality-F...QQftidZ2QQtZkm
    Those are the best prices I've seen ANYWHERE for this stuff. A lot of it's heavy, and the weights aren't posted on many of the items. I asked for the weights on a few things...I see a purchase in very near future as long as it's not monstrously heavy.

Thanks for posting that excellent link.

Those are the best prices I've seen ANYWHERE for this stuff. A lot of it's heavy, and the weights aren't posted on many of the items. I asked for the weights on a few things...I see a purchase in very near future as long as it's not monstrously heavy.

Thanks for posting that excellent link.
    I've bought some fabrics before, So I had an idea her prices were good, She is also about an hour south of me. I think I'll be heading down there to buy some nice ripstop.

I think I'll try the whipping next time. Hammock camping season is about over for me, so I'm going to tinker throught the winter and see what I can come up with. I think I will end up returning the heavy polyester and getting some ripstop and trying the test hammock again.

Does anyone know where I can get good prices on webbing. Cheapest I can seem to find is $1 per yard.

www.speerhammocks.com has low-memory stretch polypropylene webbing for a good price, and he posts the strength ratings on there, too. $.20/ft for the 1", I think.

I'd be hesitant to use webbing if you're not sure of the strength or if it's low-memory stretch (like nylon).

NOBO toBennington, VT plus 187 mi in MH & ME
    Images

Default test hammock

Just a heads up on whipping.

When I made a test hammock with whipped ends, the whipping slipped off from the hanging stress.

The folks in the know say that hemming makes the ends larger and therefore, that won't happen.

Also, with a hem, you can use zipties <G> Jeeeesh!! How easy is that??

Tom

Registered User hammock engineer's Avatar

The TestHammock is a cheap, easy way to see if you can sleep comfortably in a hammock...but it's for testing. If you're planning on using one long-term, be sure to inspect it frequently. Laying in it, and especially getting in and out, stresses the unhemmed long edges and will probably eventually cause a rip. Hemming at least the long edges means the exposed/stressed area is rolled over, so it's not as likely to rip
    Jeff where was this advice last week? I was waiting to hem the edges of my first test hammock using nylon, so I just tied the knots in the ends of a long piece of nylon. I set in it just like I did all of my cotton test hammocks. But this time I heard a rip and ended up on the ground. The rip started at the ends at what looked like one of the holes that are in the edges of the nylon. Leason learned, hem nylon before you use it as a hammock.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
++ New Posts ++