WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Default Who is Tom Leonard?

Who is Tom Leonard? There is a lean-to named after him in Mass. and I can't seem to find any history about him on the web.

R

Quote Originally Posted by Robusto View Post
    Who is Tom Leonard? There is a lean-to named after him in Mass. and I can't seem to find any history about him on the web.

R
    There is a very nice little Bio about him in the shelter. I suggest you walk here and read it. It's a very nice shelter and well worth the trip.

Tom Sawyer's brother

I wonder if it's named after the Scottish poet by the same name? That would be my guess...
    Don't take anything I say seriously... I certainly don't.

Actually, I know of a couple of other Tom Leonards.

First off, Tommy Leonard was the bartender for a zillion years at the old Eliot Lounge in the Back Bay in Boston. We all know what a sports bar is like; now imagine one devoted to long-distance running. In the the world of runners, especially those associated with the Boston Marathon, this place was absolutely legendary. I used to go here back in the day before I got too fat to run, and it was a fantastic place to knock a few back. (It was also conveniently yards from my apartment which came in handy on the occasions I overstayed my visits).

But the REALLY legender Tom Leonard is found here in Hanover; he's the co-owner of Five Olde Nugget Alley restaurant and tavern in the center of town. He's a great guy, runs a great place, is a wonderful friend to hikers, and bears the cross of being one of my best friends.

He also deserves to have a shelter built in his honor, preferably one with a good kitchen and a full beverage license!!

Tom "long Ways" Leonard thru'd in 1985. Passed away 1986. 1987 Philosophers Guide was dedicated to him.

Images

Finally, someone gave and honest answer to Robusto's legitimate question. Way to go.
    I love the smell of esbit in the morning!

Lugnut:

Were you born with a naturally sour disposition or do you just seem to enjoy life more that way?

If you were that concerned with answering the original question, well YOU could have done it yourself, instead of criticizing others.

Way to go.

The Tom Leonard shelter was brand new for the 1988 hiking season. It apparently replaced the Forgotten Bridge lean-to which you probably don't remember. What you will remember is the walk down to the really cold water source and the climb back up to the shelter.

It's actually a pretty cool spot. Great big shelter, some cool campsites. However, the water is a bit of a walk, and worse, for most NOBO's, Tom Leonard is one of the three or four most mosquito-infested shelters on the entire Trail; if you get there in late July or early August like most folks, you wil NOT want to sleep in the shelter unless your idea of a good time is getting eaten.

Images

Finally, someone gave and honest answer to Robusto's legitimate question. Way to go.
    Right on Lugnet. Thanks Max Patch.

Images

Quote Originally Posted by Jack Tarlin View Post
    Lugnut:

Were you born with a naturally sour disposition or do you just seem to enjoy life more that way?

If you were that concerned with answering the original question, well YOU could have done it yourself, instead of criticizing others.

Way to go.
    No, I wasn't being sour. I just thought it was a reasonable question and it would have been nice for someone to answer it. I would have
    been glad to but I had no idea who Tom Leonard was. It's called common courtesy.

Jack feels a need to berate anyone of lesser calibre than he. You lugnut, don't measure up. Jack is the website know-it-all. trail god.

Images

Hey, I'm 5'11".

Jack beat me to the 1st Tom Leonard, I don't know any others... I wonder if he remembers, or went to, the Bull 'n Finch Pub, not too far away. Great dart bar before.... ? (anyone know?)

Images

Quote Originally Posted by Jack Tarlin View Post
    Lugnut:

Way to go.
    Quote Originally Posted by refreeman View Post
    Right on Lugnet. Thanks Max Patch.
    Quote Originally Posted by L. Wolf View Post
    Jack feels a need to berate anyone of lesser calibre than he. You lugnut, don't measure up. Jack is the website know-it-all. trail god.
    "People, I just want to say, you know, can we all get along?" - Rodney King (1992)
    SGT Rock
    http://hikinghq.net

My 2008 Trail Journal of the BMT/AT

BMT Thru-Hikers' Guide
    -----------------------------------------

NO SNIVELING

Rodney King, what a loser!!

++ New Posts ++