WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 5 of 9 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 LastLast
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by Alligator View Post
    It helps if you roll them around in flour first so you know where they landed.
    Or have a couple spotters on hand to immediately mark point of impact with a golf ball marker.

Sorta like serving as spotter in a javelin contest without the threat of impalement.
    Skids

Insanity: Asking about inseams over and over again and expecting different results.
    Albert Einstein, (attributed)

We'll need a word to shout on the launch to avoid impacts with spotters

I'm partial to DooooBBYYYY!!!
    "Sleepy alligator in the noonday sun
    Sleepin by the river just like he usually done
    Call for his whisky
    He can call for his tea
    Call all he wanta but he can't call me..."
    Robert Hunter & Ron McKernan

Whiteblaze.net User Agreement.

Images

It helps if you roll them around in flour first so you know where they landed.
    HA!

Let me first say, that the meatballs I made for dinner were absolutely lucious. I introduced a good merlot into the meat mixture.

Secondly....if I needed help making the meatballs, I would simply ask. Is someone downright going to refuse to help with something.....knowing it will affect their livelihood temporarily? I don't think so. One must never assume that a hiker, possibly a real tired hiker, might help. Assignments must be given out, unless a hiker asks first, "should I be helping with anything"? No one is hurt, uncomfortable, overworked, bitter.

Third, you all need to see Sly in action. I watched him at to the Southern Ruck. He was very polite and kind, but firmly asked individuals for help with things at the Ruck - mainly the kitchen and dining areas. I was very impressed. I've learned from hiker events that people don't always jump in to help as well.

Yeah I know a hiker event is different than a hostel, guest house etc. Same guests, am I right?

Third, you all need to see Sly in action. I watched him at to the Southern Ruck. He was very polite and kind, but firmly asked individuals for help with things at the Ruck - mainly the kitchen and dining areas.
    LOL... Yes, well I did say "volunteerism is encouraged."

Images

Quote Originally Posted by Sly View Post
    LOL... Yes, well I did say "volunteerism is encouraged."
    Hey, I'm bowing to ya brother.

I like to watch Jack in the kitchen too.

Images

We'll need a word to shout on the launch to avoid impacts with spotters

I'm partial to DooooBBYYYY!!!
    I like it.

Kind of like the 'Fooooore!' of hippy-kickin'
    Skids

Insanity: Asking about inseams over and over again and expecting different results.

Images

. . . I'm partial to DooooBBYYYY!!!
    Ya know, we may just have had a new word introduced into the (un)official hiker's lexicon. Maybe we could hold the regular games at shelters and have the World Series of hippy kickin' at select hostels.
    Me no care, me here free beer. Tap keg, please?

Quote Originally Posted by StarLyte View Post
    Hey, I'm bowing to ya brother.

I like to watch Jack in the kitchen too.
    Yeah, I tried to help with some lasagna one time and almost got my hands chopped off. Do not, I repeat, do not pluck an olive out of the mix with your fingers and eat it while dinner is being prepared, especially if jack is holding cutlery and someone is going down, down, down, yeah, be bop a loo lah down.....

Kicking hippies is dangerous, too. They have glass in their pockets.

Images

Alright, in an effort to get this thread back on track... I would venture that the inconsiderate hikers are young and new to the trail. They are unfamiliar with trail etiquette and the whole concept of a hostel is foreign to them (they are only familiar with the hotel experience - you pay a set price and the maid will do the rest). Hopefully those of us with more experience will help them along so they won't make the same mistakes when they reach Maine.

Until they learn something, and for the benefit of dirty hippies like myself who abhore long lists of rules, perhaps we can reduce Jack's suggested rules down to three simple concepts:

1. Be considerate of others and help out when you can.

2. If the owner asks you to do something, do it.

3. ALWAYS USE COASTERS!

Default Correction!

There ain't much I won't eat, but I loathe olives beyond my capacity to describe, Bfitz, and they neither go in my lasagna, my salads, or anywhere else.

If there was indeed an olive "in the mix" on the day you mention, it musta fallen out of your martini.

Images

Quote Originally Posted by bfitz View Post
    ...Kicking hippies is dangerous, too. They have glass in their pockets.
    That's some funny ***** right there Bfitz.
    Skids

Quote Originally Posted by Jack Tarlin View Post
    There ain't much I won't eat, but I loathe olives beyond my capacity to describe, Bfitz, and they neither go in my lasagna, my salads, or anywhere else.

If there was indeed an olive "in the mix" on the day you mention, it musta fallen out of your martini.
    Hmmmm....I wonder what the hell that little black thing was?
    I'll admit the memory is vague, but I might have tried to change the cd as well as nibble on ingredients...

Well then, if I ever come to Trashgiving, I'll know to bring some tapenade along. Mmmmmmm. More for Mowgli.

Images

Quote Originally Posted by bfitz View Post
    Hmmmm....I wonder what the hell that little black thing was?
    I'll admit the memory is vague, but I might have tried to change the cd as well as nibble on ingredients...
    That was a black toenail B.

Images

Quote Originally Posted by MOWGLI16 View Post
    Well then, if I ever come to Trashgiving, I'll know to bring some tapenade along. Mmmmmmm. More for Mowgli.
    and now I'm forced to really deviate from this thread.....
    Tapenade? Only Puck cooks with that. Don't tell us, surprise us someday With a great dish.

Quote Originally Posted by StarLyte View Post
    That was a black toenail B.
    NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! !!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I'd do it again in a heartbeat, but hopefully not next summer. Dunno where I'm gonna be, but it better not be Hanover!
    Jack,this is for real.you should send this post to Amocalola to hand out to each candidate starting thru the arches,one more addendem.Don't steal my towels without asking!,Hey great post.

Quote Originally Posted by L. Wolf View Post
    I live 60 yards off the AT and I never take hikers in. Wouldn't even think of it.
    Hey,he is a great guy"he let us park in his driveway during traildays.

Quote Originally Posted by tiamalle View Post
    Hey,he is a great guy"he let us park in his driveway during traildays.
    Certain folks rate. You and your family are always welcome.

Having "coddled" hundreds of hikers in my time and seeing the best to the worst of them all, I have noticed that the best usually always take up the slack for the worst, the work gets done and the lazy slobs continue to be lazy slobs. Some of which I have often wondered how they even manage to hike the trail and what their dwellings look like at home ! I think it all boils down to what yo mama should have taught ya: to respect others and their stuff, appreciate their hospitality, clean up after yourself and leave the place cleaner than when you came. Also when it comes to places like hostels run out of private homes etc., remember that these are not high profit margins most barely break even so even if you did pay for something it usually doesnt cover the costs and certainly doesnt give anyone the right to trash the place and expect others to just take care of it simply because "I paid for it". That should be considered a "donation" which is how alot of places are run. The work should be divided evenly among the ones that are there at the time. One should always offer to help if nothing else. Just my take on a situation that I have been on both sides of many, many times.

RAT

Page 5 of 9 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 LastLast
++ New Posts ++