Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Question Privy question..

I've read somewhere that you are not supposed to urinate in a few of the privies on the AT (I think it's the mouldering ones). I thought I'd post this in the female forum since I think this is a female issue.

How do you do one without doing the other? It seems to me that it would be hard not to do 1 when you're doing 2. Or am I just a weirdo with a weak bladder?
    "Too much civilization around here! Remember when the woods used to be woods, Harry?"

Oops. I just realized there's another thread on this subject.
    "Too much civilization around here! Remember when the woods used to be woods, Harry?"

Images

its generally accepted that we are allowed to urinate in the privy, just throw a few extra leaves in there.
    Gaiter
    homepage.mac.com/thickredhair
    web.mac.com/thickredhair/AT_Fall_07

Images

Default What I rememer from my last trip

In answer to your question about number 1 in the privy I think that you will see in the Smokies that most of the notice signs suggest that males do 1 in the woods and that for females that both are ok.

The reason for both sexes not doing 1 in the privy is that you can screw up the process of the compote pile with to much urine.

I know that the sign at Spence Field in the privy states that males should use the woods in order to give the privy a break.

I have pics of the privy at Spence Field but I do not recall taking one of the sign.

John 'Capt Chaos" Knight
    Bowling Green, KY
    Capt. Chaos

Col. John "CaptChaos" Knight
    Bowling Green, KY USA

Actually, we females can "go" standing up just like the boys....It took me a few hundred miles to figure this out. Once I did, life was sweeter still! No more pack on/off 15 times a day (because that is how many times a day I had to pee!) If you need more explanation or a diagram, let me know!

Images

Yep, it really is a concern in composting toilets. However, you will encounter some privies that WANT you to urinate in them (men and women) as they are designed that way and the ecosystem around the privies and shelter areas are too fragile to be exposed to too much urine. There's even one privy that has a seat for #2 and a seat for #1 (this has the shiney aluminum bowl with a small hole embedded in it). Oh, and if you accidently go #2 in the bowl #1, there's a spatula handy to scoop and toss down the right hole. In any event, read the instructions provided in most privies. Very informative. You will be a privy expert at trip's end.
    Tipper

Oh dear, I hope I read the signs right. I don't want to scoop!
    Amy, I've actually been looking at some stuff on the web about that. I'm probably going to go commando too, so that may help as well.

Think of it like this:
    If having to do #1, just go pee outside. If getting the #2 urge, don't worry, just do it in the privy Unless otherwise noted at the privy.
    Trail Cooking/FBC, Recipes, Gear and Beyond:
    Trail Cooking

Something else just occurred to me. What if you get sick, and have to vomit? Should you try to bury it, or hit a privy if there's one nearby? Dump water over it?

Sorry, that's probably a really weird question.

Mindi

Hurl away outside, off the trail. I wouldn't do it in a privy, it probably would make you vomit even more
    But yeah, if you can, dowse it with water to dilute it. Most likely, if you do have to vomit, you won't have time to think. I have one hiking friend who was dehydrated (and didn't realize it). She was eating diner and sipping wine, and suddenly turned around hurling, right in camp. When she was done, I got her clenaed up, got her water, and put her to bed. Then I went and poured water all over the area, and covered it with dirt, etc. Then I went to bed.
    Trail Cooking/FBC, Recipes, Gear and Beyond:
    Trail Cooking

Quote Originally Posted by Amy Drew View Post
    Actually, we females can "go" standing up just like the boys....It took me a few hundred miles to figure this out. Once I did, life was sweeter still! No more pack on/off 15 times a day (because that is how many times a day I had to pee!) If you need more explanation or a diagram, let me know!
    All right. I give. How? (Private message is fine, if you don't want to post to the whole forum... )

Images

Quote Originally Posted by flyingduckmonster View Post
    All right. I give. How? (Private message is fine, if you don't want to post to the whole forum... )
    Hint--wear loose-legged, stretchy shorts or a skirt. Practice makes perfect in figuring out how to get things out of the way so they won't get wet.
    If not NOW, then WHEN?

ME>GA 2006
    http://www.trailjournals.com/entry.cfm?trailname=3277

Instagram hiking photos: five.leafed.clover

kicking around ideas for the next adventure 1Pint's Avatar
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by flyingduckmonster View Post
    If you can't perfect the method Marta refers to, you could try the Freshette. It is an oblong funnel with a directional tube. It's sold to assist women in peeing standing up. I haven't used it, but it was recommended to me by a female section hiker who said it was great.
    "It's not just a daydream if you decide to make it your life." Train

The "privy" at Goose Pond in MA has two holes. According to the posted instructions, one hole is for #1 and the other for #2, and if you don't know the difference, you're instructed to "take your business elsewhere."

Arrow How to do number two

If the odor or the ambience of a privy is not to your liking, remember, you can always do number two on some leaves, roll it up and deposit the bundle in the privy.

Remember: WASH or clean your hands before and after toileting to avoid any unwanted 'bugs' or germs invading your body (from either end).

GIARDIA gets blamed when it is POOR HYGIENE which caused the illness. Hikers think they've gotten giardia when what they got was E.Coli from not washing their own hands OR from eating out of a 'community' food bag.

ALWAYS POUR FOOD OUT OF THE BAG into a hand or other container. Do NOT put your own hand or allow anyone else to put his/her hand in your bag of gorp or other food.

All together now. "Yes, Ma'am."
    HIKE HEALTHY,
    HapKiDo

Quote Originally Posted by Amy Drew View Post
    Great ... the one advantage to being male has been taken over by women folk. Can we not have something special to ourselves! Isn't it enough your kind is taking over the world, must you take over standing directional urination as well!

Images

Yea but I bet our aim is better
    A Fact Of Life:

After Monday and Tuesday even the calendar says;

W T F...............

KB3SYZ
    -.- -... ...-- ... -.-- --..

http://shakeyleggs.wordpress.com/

The day women start peeing on the toilet seat while standing up, mans only remaining purpose will be to take out the trash. It'll be a sad day.

Registered User Frolicking Dinosaurs's Avatar
    Images

Ladies, ready, aim, fire at the naysaying fellows.

Default don't read this if you do not really want to know . . .

OK, to begin with, there is some controversy over whether men can accomplish the aforementioned feat (at least neatly enough to be permitted to indoors). Refer to -

http://www.mapsu.org/

For artificial aids, refer to -

http://www.internationalheralddailyn...e_products.htm

or -

http://www.whizproducts.co.uk/en/

or even -

http://www.pmateusa.com/

(stop here if you are squeemish or offended by frank discussion)

But for the real deal, try here -

http://myvag.net/pee/standing/

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
++ New Posts ++