WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 2 of 15 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 12 ... LastLast
    Registered User Frolicking Dinosaurs's Avatar
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by rickboudrie View Post
    Are you saying that the Devil is in the Details, FD?
    If a conservation group set up some trail magic to discuss LNT with hikers or a trail maintenance group set up some trail magic to recruit volunteers, would we be discussing if it was OK? The point is I don’t think it is automatically right or wrong because they are offering spiritual guidance along with coffee and donuts as long as they do it in a way that does not detract from the experience of those who don’t want to be guided.

Quote Originally Posted by MOWGLI16 View Post
    Their time would probably be better spent ministering to folks in the County Jail.
    I agree that there are far better venues for this sort of activity than the trail. Among the homeless, victims of domestic violence and county detox facilities come immediately to mind. Maybe someone should point that out to the people who are doing this?

1000+ miles, baby! (and more to come) Webs's Avatar
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by Frolicking Dinosaurs View Post
    If a conservation group set up some trail magic to discuss LNT with hikers or a trail maintenance group set up some trail magic to recruit volunteers, would we be discussing if it was OK? The point is I don’t think it is automatically right or wrong because they are offering spiritual guidance along with coffee and donuts as long as they do it in a way that does not detract from the experience of those who don’t want to be guided.

I agree that there are far better venues for this sort of activity than the trail. Among the homeless, victims of domestic violence and county detox facilities come immediately to mind. Maybe someone should point that out to the people who are doing this?

But ministering on the AT makes sense b/c people thru-hiking are usually undergoing a big transition in their life (divorce, college, etc) and are most likely questioning major issues in their lives (love, where you're going when you die, etc). i suppose different people are most receptive to Christianity through different means: some could respond well to this trail magic and kind conversation, while others might need a stronger push at this point in their lives. Just remember that no one's perfect; Christians make mistakes, which can include being too pushy sometimes w/the Gospel.

AT 4000+, LT, FHT, ALT Blissful's Avatar
    Journal Entries
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by Jack Tarlin View Post
    As a Christian and a hiker, I think that one's faith and spirituality is an intensely personal matter.

Setting a good example in one's life and helping others is admirable. Actively preaching and proselytizing others while on the Trail is less so.
    There is absolutely no sense preaching to anyone who doesn't have an ear to hear. Forget it. I know, I was one of them once. I told people to bug off. But when I was ready, I was glad someone preached. And not because they offered me food. They offered me the real food called truth. And it set me free.

Certainly there are those who are wandering souls as well as wandering on foot. To keep your lips shut when there is a listening ear to me is less than admirable.

Hiking Blog
    AT NOBO and SOBO, LT, FHT, ALT
    Shenandoah NP Ridgerunner, Author, Speaker

AT 4000+, LT, FHT, ALT Blissful's Avatar
    Journal Entries
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by Frolicking Dinosaurs View Post
    We minister to the youth - through Boy Scouts and the teens in our church. Is our ministry then less needed because we are not in a detox unit or a jail? Young people need spiritual guidance so they don't end up homeless or in the detox unit or at the county jail. Maybe there are others who need it - like some on the trail before they end up homeless, in detox, or in jail.

I think the idea that only those in depravity need the preaching is ridiculous. If anything, its those who think they have their act together, that think they have it made without God, who really need Him most. (Okay - I know that will get some people mad. Guess I get mad too, esp when people are trying to make a difference in others' lives and they get shot down for it - like the AT servants. If you don't like it, don't take the food, water, and Bible. Find out where they will be and stay clear of it. And go your merry way.)

Hiking Blog
    AT NOBO and SOBO, LT, FHT, ALT
    Shenandoah NP Ridgerunner, Author, Speaker

Images

Quote Originally Posted by L. Wolf View Post
    I wonder how they would deal with being told to "get ***ed"?
    I am sure they would turn the other cheek.

But ministering on the AT makes sense b/c people thru-hiking are usually undergoing a big transition in their life (divorce, college, etc) and are most likely questioning major issues in their lives (love, where you're going when you die, etc). i suppose different people are most receptive to Christianity through different means:
    I think for the most part most people you'll find on the trail have had their Christian upbringing. Others may have a different religion and they're entitled to it. Seeing you're walking through "God's creation" wouldn't it make sense to just let God do the talking without being interpeted?

Images

I'm with Wolf on this one. I HATE when people do that crap and I'll be the first to invite them to kindly go ***** themselves. I don't push my beliefs on anyone, do not do it to me.
    Official Star Schlep Crew Member

Quote Originally Posted by Blissful View Post
    ...If you don't like it, don't take the food, water, and Bible. Find out where they will be and stay clear of it. And go your merry way.)
    I agree w/this. If I see that it is religiously based I will pass it by without a word. If it is a bait and switch or I'm being chased down, then it isn't right imo.
    2005 "No Legs" Springer to Clingman's
    2007 SloFar/DrClaw - GA-NJ

Images

I 've met these folks. Craig in 04 when I came to Dicks Creek in a horizontal sleet,wet and cold and there was 2 guys standing in the rain next to a PU truck loaded with bags of fruit and sodas.They said they were offering rides to Hiawassee too so me and another hiker who came down took the ride .NO PREACHIN or anything like that just some very nice people who helped a couple weary hikers. Then this year while we were doing our magic gig at Albert Craig and Suzy hiked in (she was having some hip problems ) and it was really nice to pay back the kindness I recieved in 04 .We fed them and I ended up chasing them up the Trail because they forgot the apples I had told them to put in their pockets .They were about in tears when I did that .I think what they are doing is fine and like I said there was no preaching to us back in 04 .......I don't go for someone trying to force their beliefs on me no matter what that is but good kind people offering rides and food out of the kindness of their hearts is just WAY NICE!
    Not a threat to anyone and I hope to see them again on my hike next year .
    PEACE!
    Fishinfred
    FISHINFRED

MY STUFF

MY STUFF ON EBAY

Journal Entries
    Images

Way back when, the bothers at the Catholic Greymore Monastary used to invite thruhikers to eat with them (I still remember a fine meal of sweet and sour chicken), then offer up a cell for the night.

You don't get more committed to religion than those guys.

I could be naive, but I don't think conversion was ever a part of thier plan.

I wouldn't be happy if Catholics, Mormons, or whoever decided to organize and have people at trailheads with conversion as one of thier primary goals, however.

But, that's just me.

In a way, I am glad to see so much religious tollerance on this list.

Quote Originally Posted by TJ aka Teej View Post
    "Remote for detachment, narrow for chosen company, winding for leisure, lonely for contemplation, it beckons not merely north and south but upward to the body, mind and soul of man." - Myron Avery, In the Maine Woods, 1934

Amen, brothers Sly and Myron
    Kludos to Myron. Jack was on the money, but it's hard to top my man.

My neighbors back in N.C.(the TN. ones) thought they were THE modern day Apostles, always tellin us when the world was going to end. Kinda creepy, but we were pretty sure they were harmless.

My other neighbors were mentioned here too. I think that if you sit down at thier table, you can at least hear what that have to say, even if you don't agree. You other option, which works great- every time, is to politely excuse yourself.

I've meet quite a few really nice preachers on the trail. No harm there either.

I have always been torn by the fact that throughout history, religion is at the root of so much hate, death, and war.

Registered User Frolicking Dinosaurs's Avatar
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by Blissful View Post
    We minister to the youth - through Boy Scouts and the teens in our church. Is our ministry then less needed because we are not in a detox unit or a jail? Young people need spiritual guidance so they don't end up homeless or in the detox unit or at the county jail. Maybe there are others who need it - like some on the trail before they end up homeless, in detox, or in jail.

I think the idea that only those in depravity need the preaching is ridiculous. If anything, its those who think they have their act together, that think they have it made without God, who really need Him most. (Okay - I know that will get some people mad. Guess I get mad too, esp when people are trying to make a difference in others' lives and they get shot down for it - like the AT servants. If you don't like it, don't take the food, water, and Bible. Find out where they will be and stay clear of it. And go your merry way.)
    Blissful, to me their is a difference between ministry within the church and out-reach. Both are equally important, but they are different.

While I agree that it is not only those who have hit a bottom in life that need God, I also know from personal experience and observation that those who are scraping the bottom are often far more receptive. While some on the AT fit this description, most do not.

The definitive answer on the rules of carrying the message come from the Great Messenger himself. Note He said to present the message and help those who accepted it to grow. He never promoted the idea of belaboring the point or of attempting to use force or trickery to get others to listen.

If they're standing there giving out magic and offering a conversation, I'm ok with it. If they don't stop pressing after I let them know I'm not interested, they're just being rude and I'll excuse myself. But that's the case with folks pushing any topic...it's a personal tact thing, not just a religious thing.

If they start hiking with me and won't stop preaching, we're gonna have problems. That's never happened to me.

Images

did anyone see the 'hunting' bibles this year in nc/tn, they kinda freaked me out, as if i was afraid of the christian religion enough. there was a picture of a hunter or game animal highlighting every line about killing someone/thing. people take the whole bible mythology way too far (a misunderstanding i made once as well)
    i know this will offend some people, but i'm simply stating my opinion

also i like the way l.wolf put it.
    Last edited by Gaiter; 11-13-2006 at 00:34. Reason: clarify
    Gaiter
    homepage.mac.com/thickredhair
    web.mac.com/thickredhair/AT_Fall_07

So long as they're not annoying or over-persistent or impolite I enjoy a good religious debate around the campfire (or berakfast table) as much as anyone. On a saturday morning at home if I'm not busy I'll occassionally let in those that come knocking. I've almost converted a few! Had a couple of mormon girls watching Iron Maiden videos with me one morning. Did you know they believe (or at least these two did) that god has a physical body which he keeps someplace on earth and animates from time to time when he feels like walking among us!? I couldn't get out of them where he keeps it, but they did say that it's "in a cave or something". They were nice, and they were invited back, although so far they haven't returned....

As a deist, I personaly think this whole religeous thing is getting out of hand. Then again, I probably wouldn't turn down a piece of fruit on the trail if it was given out by Our Sisters of the Little Nazis. If you don't agree with what their selling, just hike on by.

Quote Originally Posted by prozac View Post
    As a deist, I personaly think this whole religeous thing is getting out of hand. Then again, I probably wouldn't turn down a piece of fruit on the trail if it was given out by Our Sisters of the Little Nazis. If you don't agree with what their selling, just hike on by.
    The problem is where does it end. Should the AT be an avenue for others espousing their personal beliefs? I always considered a thru-hike an effort in self-reliance and discovery.

It still can be a journey of self discovery or any kind of journey you wish to make it. Unfortunately, the trail is not as isolated as we would like to think. Its impossible to avoid road crossings and towns. You can limit your exposure to "outside" influences, but the trail will never be like the CDT. I personally like the interaction with other hikers and townspeople. That being said, I do not wish to have my solitude intruded on by any organized religious group or individual while on the trail. If they wish to set up at a roadcrossing, no problem, I have the option to hike on past. If they feel the need to take their message on the trail, then they invite my abuse. I personally don't feel its a big enough problem to lose any sleep over, but those religious tracts scattered in the shelters, thats another matter.

Images

I like the way George Carlin put it.

Quote Originally Posted by SpiritWind View Post
    I like the way George Carlin put it.
    Well...?????

Page 2 of 15 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 12 ... LastLast
++ New Posts ++