WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 4 of 15 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 14 ... LastLast
    There's no wrong way to eat a Rhesus! Monkeyboy's Avatar

Seems pretty simple to me....

......if you don't want them preaching to you, don't eat their food or drink their sodas........

Quote Originally Posted by Monkeyboy View Post
    Seems pretty simple to me....

......if you don't want them preaching to you, don't eat their food or drink their sodas........
    I can't help but notice your screen name, kind of ironic.

I think this goes beyond so-called "trail magic" and falls into the realm of baiting hikers. Every town has a church which one can attend, why does it need to be expanded to the trail itself?

Quote Originally Posted by Sly View Post
    Every town has a church which one can attend, why does it need to be expanded to the trail itself?
    The people these guys are trying to reach out to don't go to church.

Quote Originally Posted by max patch View Post
    No, but there already walking in a cathedral, hopefully they'll be reached. As I said before, where does it stop? Remember, freedom of religion also means freedom from religion.

Images

Just as I'm free to ignore other opinions about politics, food or how nice a shelter is, I'm free to ignore people with religious opinions who offer them. And I'm often suspicious of ostensibly religious people who are only interested in 'talking the talk.' Those are the ones who preach, but don't seem to live their religion; Jesus seems to have known people like that from his story of the man who sat in the front of the Temple and praised his own piety: He called them hypocrites.

But I can't criticise - and won't -those who 'walk the walk.' If they are manning kiosks, I can stop or I can walk by. But they are taking their time, and some of their goods - their own or from their church that receives their contributions - to minister to others. But there is no reason to be rude, absent rudeness on their part.

In their way, they are part of the life of the AT as much as any other part. Perhaps more; the path we walk is in their community, not ours, and we are, in some ways, guests in their home as much as independent actors. So 'trail magic' that comes from good hearts, whether impelled by a religious impulse or something else, remains 'magic.' We can accept it, or not. It's up to us.

The Weasel
    "Thank God! there is always a Land of Beyond, For us who are true to the trail..." --- Robert Service

Quote Originally Posted by The Weasel View Post
    Just as I'm free to ignore other opinions about politics, food or how nice a shelter is, I'm free to ignore people with religious opinions who offer them. And I'm often suspicious of ostensibly religious people who are only interested in 'talking the talk.' Those are the ones who preach, but don't seem to live their religion; Jesus seems to have known people like that from his story of the man who sat in the front of the Temple and praised his own piety: He called them hypocrites.

But I can't criticise - and won't -those who 'walk the walk.' If they are manning kiosks, I can stop or I can walk by. But they are taking their time, and some of their goods - their own or from their church that receives their contributions - to minister to others. But there is no reason to be rude, absent rudeness on their part.

In their way, they are part of the life of the AT as much as any other part. Perhaps more; the path we walk is in their community, not ours, and we are, in some ways, guests in their home as much as independent actors. So 'trail magic' that comes from good hearts, whether impelled by a religious impulse or something else, remains 'magic.' We can accept it, or not. It's up to us.

The Weasel
    Great response.
    a.k.a CHOP-CHOP

missionary:1,a person sent by a church into an area to carry on religious or humanitarian work, 2, a person who attempts to persuade or convert others.
    Well, missionaries are notorious for going into areas where people are poor, nonreligious etc.etc. with food, supplies, medicine in an attempt to convert said peoples to their way of thinking and religion. This new kind of trail magic seems in line with traditional missionary work.
    Like has been previously mentioned, you can take their goodies or keep walking. The Question remains, should this be going on in a National Park?

In their way, they are part of the life of the AT as much as any other part. Perhaps more; the path we walk is in their community, not ours, and we are, in some ways, guests in their home as much as independent actors.
    I'm not sure what you mean by that, but the AT is on public land. If I sat at a shelter or trailhead trying to covert everyone to Islam I think you'd think dfferently.

Registered User middle to middle's Avatar

An old wise man, the one at the top of the mountain in the cave, once said best not to talk religion or politics with straingers.

There's a reason the missionaries often got strung up and gutted by the natives...
    Don't take anything I say seriously... I certainly don't.

Journal Entries

Quote Originally Posted by TJ aka Teej View Post
    "Remote for detachment, narrow for chosen company, winding for leisure, lonely for contemplation, it beckons not merely north and south but upward to the body, mind and soul of man." - Myron Avery, In the Maine Woods, 1934

Amen, brothers Sly and Myron
    Though often attributed to Avery -- mostly because he used them so often -- I believe those immortal words were first spoken by Harold Allen, an early trail volunteer.

Weary

Journal Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Nean View Post
    ....I have always been torn by the fact that throughout history, religion is at the root of so much hate, death, and war.
    And ignorance. A recent poll found that nearly half of all Americans think the universe was created about 6,000 years ago, and will be destroyed by God within 50 years and similar nonsense.

No wonder this country is increasingly ridiculed by the rest of the industrial world -- and our fight agaist terrorism ignored. We are seen as ignoramuses.

Weary

Images

Quote Originally Posted by Austexs View Post
    Well it depends on what king of "cheek" we are talking about.

As long as it is not turning the "cheek" ala the Rev. Ted Haggard, I am OK with it!

http://www.cnn.com/2006/US/11/03/hag...ons/index.html
    actually pun was intended, but was really referring to the Biblical (facial ) analogy:

Seriously this couple seems to have good intentions, wanting to help others in both a physical and a spiritual way. Although their methods may certainly be annoying to some, probobly no more than abrasive language (or other types of behaivor) can be anoying to others.

People are subjected to anoying circumstances everywhere (the trail is no exception). Most people just ignore an annoying circumstance when possible and either move on or confront it if it becomes threatening or intolerable.

To this couples credit they are Hikers and are subject to all the social difficulties that long distance hikers face. Hopefully their encounters along the Trail are teaching them when it's most appropiate to share their beliefs with those receptive to it, or otherwise when best to tone down their retoric or most importantly, when to just shake the dust from their feet and move on.

Formerly CoralRives
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by Jack Tarlin View Post
    As a Christian and a hiker, I think that one's faith and spirituality is an intensely personal matter.

Setting a good example in one's life and helping others is admirable. Actively preaching and proselytizing others while on the Trail is less so.
    Absolutely. I can think of few other things that would sour my Spiritual Journey on the Trail than to have anyone of ANY religion try to preach to me without being ASKED first!!! And if this is a prerequisite to getting food or water or first aid from these folks, it should be said so up front.

When the Student is Ready, the Teacher will appear, not the other way around. It doesn't work the other way. Most born agains I am around daily, are all holier then thou types, less tolerant then most folks I know, and will tell you you're going to burn because you don't follow the Bible word for word!!! Anyone read Luke 19:27??? These people scare me to death!
    Last edited by Boat Drinks; 11-13-2006 at 17:04.
    "Be good and you will be lonesome" M. Twain

There is a road, no simple highway,
    Between the dawn and the dark of night,
    And if you go no one may follow,
    That path is for your steps alone

as the resedent jesus freak, im against all prostelatizing and hate everybody who does it. they suck saten.
    matthewski

Quote Originally Posted by Austexs View Post
    Anyone?

Speak for yourself. A lot of people (probably MOST) do not want to hear that crap at the breakfast table.

...or the campfire.

It is just plain rude.
    Wrong. It's only rude if you are subjected to it against your will. As I said, so long as you are polite about it, I am willing to discuss with you whatever interesting topic you care to bring up, your job, hobbies, musical preferences, religion, politcs, whatever. It's how I learn about stuff. If I'm not in a mood for debate and/or conversation I'll keep to myslef, and if you press me I'll let you know. If, after that, you persist in a rude or annoying fashion, then you'd be in the wrong regardless of what topic you're on about. I know how to deal with that, too.

Default Just like baseball

I've developed a standard reply when people start asking overly personal questions on the Trail, and this includes religious ones.

I smile, look the person in the eye, and say "I make it a practice not to discuss personal matters in public, and never with strangers. I'm sure you'll understand and respect this."

If they persist in their questions about my private life, income, the state of my soul, etc., I'll tell them, without a smile, "Obviously you either misunderstood me, or don't respect my feelings on this. These aren't matters I wish to discuss."

If they STILL persist, then they're obviously inconsiderate schmucks and one is no longer required to treat them with any courtesy whatsoever. I either ignore them, turn my back on them and speak to someone else, or take myself elsewhere.

Three strikes and you're OUT.

•Completed A.T. Section Hike GA to ME 1996 thru 2003 •Donating Member Skyline's Avatar
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by max patch View Post
    Why do they need to "reach out" at all? It's not like we aren't already bombarded with their spin machine from cradle to grave.

Tell you what, when one of them can demonstrate how to walk on the water, or better yet PART the water, in the unbridged swolen streams of Maine during a wet year, I'll listen to whatever else they have to say.

Images

I tend to welcome discussions on spiritual matters in alot of cases but some (and only some) Christians can put me on the defensive really fast. I'll cheerfully join in a blessing over a meal, engage in one on one discussions about Christianity, odds are from what I hear, I'd have no problems at all with these people. However when things get really pushy or continual probing questions are asked my sarcastic side sometimes kicks in to defensive mode.

"I'm really uncomfortable having this discussion with you, for a long time people who think as you do had a habit of burning people who think as I do at the stake, or hanging them from convienient tree limbs."

Geez, this is weird, but I find myself agreeing with The Weasel again.

No need to drop an F-Bomb on anyone. People are usually kind in face to face encounters. Remember how people have treated you on the trail and be kind to one another out there. If you can't be kind, at least be civil.
    'All my lies are always wishes" ~Jeff Tweedy~

Page 4 of 15 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 14 ... LastLast
++ New Posts ++