WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 1 of 11 1 2 3 4 5 ... LastLast

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Journal Entries
    Images

Default New kind of Trail Magic

Here is a new twist on Trail Magic....

The purpose of A.T. Servants is to reach both thru-hikers and short-term hikers for Christ. Miles’ organization consists of dozens of volunteer “Trail Angels,” who minister to hikers by distributing Bibles, snacks, bottled water and first-aid at designated points along the way, usually where trail gaps and roads intersect.

Separately, “Trail Chaplains” -- like the Mileses and others -- actually accompany hikers along the trail, sharing their faith and winning over hikers via personal witnessing and a strong Christian example. Last year, the couple supervised 122 A.T. Servant volunteers and assisted almost 700 hikers
    Taken from full article here: http://www.bpnews.net/bpnews.asp?ID=24270

Section Hiking to Maine. little bear's Avatar
    Images

I think it sounds great as a Christian and a hiker I love seeing it.
    People sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf. George Orwell

As a Christian and a hiker, I think that one's faith and spirituality is an intensely personal matter.

Setting a good example in one's life and helping others is admirable. Actively preaching and proselytizing others while on the Trail is less so.

AT 4000+, LT, FHT, ALT Blissful's Avatar
    Journal Entries
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by Jack Tarlin View Post
    As a Christian and a hiker, I think that one's faith and spirituality is an intensely personal matter.

Setting a good example in one's life and helping others is admirable. Actively preaching and proselytizing others while on the Trail is less so.
    There is absolutely no sense preaching to anyone who doesn't have an ear to hear. Forget it. I know, I was one of them once. I told people to bug off. But when I was ready, I was glad someone preached. And not because they offered me food. They offered me the real food called truth. And it set me free.

Certainly there are those who are wandering souls as well as wandering on foot. To keep your lips shut when there is a listening ear to me is less than admirable.

Hiking Blog
    AT NOBO and SOBO, LT, FHT, ALT
    Shenandoah NP Ridgerunner, Author, Speaker

Formerly CoralRives
    Images

Absolutely. I can think of few other things that would sour my Spiritual Journey on the Trail than to have anyone of ANY religion try to preach to me without being ASKED first!!! And if this is a prerequisite to getting food or water or first aid from these folks, it should be said so up front.

When the Student is Ready, the Teacher will appear, not the other way around. It doesn't work the other way. Most born agains I am around daily, are all holier then thou types, less tolerant then most folks I know, and will tell you you're going to burn because you don't follow the Bible word for word!!! Anyone read Luke 19:27??? These people scare me to death!
    Last edited by Boat Drinks; 11-13-2006 at 17:04.
    "Be good and you will be lonesome" M. Twain

There is a road, no simple highway,
    Between the dawn and the dark of night,
    And if you go no one may follow,
    That path is for your steps alone

as the resedent jesus freak, im against all prostelatizing and hate everybody who does it. they suck saten.
    matthewski

Geezer

... proselytizing ...
    What an awesome word!
    Frosty

Jack, Jesus ticked off a lot of people, especially those who knew what they should be doing and weren't.

There is wisdom in every walk of life as to when too much is too much. When someone isn't interested in the Gospel, I can revert to being "just" a hiker, if they so desire, but, usually, once the subject of one's spirituality is opened, especially if the words "pure" and "holy" come up, I find myself alone more often than not. (Of course, I'm not ever alone, really ).
    As I live, declares the Lord God, I take no pleasure in the death of the wicked, but rather that the wicked turn back from his way and live. Ezekiel 33:11

Tinker:

I agree with you, but I think that bringing folks into your home, feeding them, and THEN starting to preach to them is rude. It smacks of "false pretenses."
    Would these folks be bringing all these folks home and feeding them WITHOUT the religious lecture? I.e., would they be dispensing the same sort of magic and kindness to hikers if they did NOT have a hidden agenda as regards religion?

No, I don't think they would, which is why I think it's fair to say that there are "false pretenses" involved.

If you wanna preach to people, be a preacher.

If you wanna be a Trail Angel, be a Trail Angel.

If you wanna entertain and feed hikers in your home, by all means do so.

But to entice people into your living room and to turn them into a captive audience that has to hear your opinion on the state of their soul and their chances of eventual salvation.....well that's just rude.

AT 4000+, LT, FHT, ALT Blissful's Avatar
    Journal Entries
    Images

For me, I look at it this way...

WWJD...?

Jesus just told simple stories when He ate or did things with others. He left the spiritual "meat" of the stories to those who really wanted to know and were interested.

Sounds good to me.

Hiking Blog
    AT NOBO and SOBO, LT, FHT, ALT
    Shenandoah NP Ridgerunner, Author, Speaker

Put like that, it sounds good to me, too.

Getting out as much as I can..which is never enough. :) Mags's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Blissful View Post
    For me, I look at it this way...

WWJD...?

WWJDD?

http://www.redsoxdiehard.com/features/pics/wwjdd.jpg

(More like Judas now-a-days, though..sigh..)
    Paul "Mags" Magnanti
    http://pmags.com
    Twitter: @pmagsco
    Facebook: pmagsblog

The true harvest of my life is intangible...a little stardust caught,a portion of the rainbow I have clutched -Thoreau

well said.

I got enough religion groups knocking on my door here in Phoenix. I don't want any more door knocking on the trail.

I am christian and I have 100% belief in Creator and the problem is that, people have different understandings and perspectives.

Do's and Don'ts

Do...

Offer free meals and drinks at any places, including churches.
    Offer free bible studies or gatherings at any places, including churches.
    Tell them where they will be taken to.

Don't...

Bait and switch in purpose to preach
    Preach to everyone on trail.
    Leave bibles and your religion materials on trail or at trail shelters. *I believe in Christian but just it's turn off that you persuade others to believe in your group, not others* *Also, it violate leave no trace policy*

Other than that, preach friendly. Don't come over and knock on their doors.

Happy Hiking

Flash Hand

Anyone hike with these folks this year?
    'All my lies are always wishes" ~Jeff Tweedy~

Journal Entries
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by MOWGLI16 View Post
    You can visit here to learn more: http://www.atservants.org/trailchaplains.htm

Quote Originally Posted by rickboudrie View Post
    You can visit here to learn more: http://www.atservants.org/trailchaplains.htm
    I read the article and have my opinions about prosthelyzing on the AT, but I'd be curious to hear from folks who met them in-person.

Journal Entries
    Images

One of thier web pages I found intersting was this one:

Many hikers have expressed that they found a newfound faith in humanity due to gratuity that they received from Trail Angels while on the trail. While there is nothing wrong with this, with the assistance of churches as Trail Angels, maybe hikers would have a newfound faith in the church and possibly even Christ. This makes the task of the church on the AT extremely important.

Trail Angels serve the physical needs of hikers by creating kiosks where the road crosses the AT. They give hikers food, bottled water, books, and offer rides to town. Through a network of Trail Angels along the entire AT, we hope that hikers will begin to rely on the church more.
    Last edited by rickb; 11-12-2006 at 19:51.

Is it magic when their are strings attached? Not trying to stir the hornet's nest here...but I have been accosted by agreesive 'witnessers' and it is not fun.

I have no problem with those who accept that I don't want to discuss it, but those individuals seem to be the minority in my experience.
    2005 "No Legs" Springer to Clingman's
    2007 SloFar/DrClaw - GA-NJ

I wonder how they would deal with being told to "get ***ed"? I loathe aholes, especially born-agains, who preach. Actually they just give a blank stare and a smile. Pathetic. Can JC really turn water into wine? I want that brotha to walk wit my azz!

Images

Default nice folks.

Quote Originally Posted by MOWGLI16 View Post
    I hiked with them and they are great people. They help organize the medical services next to the church at trail days. I'm not christian, but enjoyed serveral good conversations (not sermons) with them. The only problem I have with handing literature to hikers is that they usually end up taking up space in the shelters.

Page 1 of 11 1 2 3 4 5 ... LastLast
++ New Posts ++