WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
    Yellow Jacket
    Images

Default UL Camp shoes/sandals??

This past weekend while on a trip near Damascus, I noticed quite a few thru-hikers wearing these light-weight open-healed sandles, call Waddles (I think?). Anyone seen them? Use them? How light are they?

I can't find a picture online, but they were everywhere at trail days.

If I can't get more info on the Waddles, I think I might order a pair of these.

Images

I noticed the same thing at Trail Days last weekend - these pink/orange/yellow what looked like big shower shoes. I saw em at a few of the outfitters tents for sale but didn't buy any. I'll put a photo up in the gallery, think I have one of someone dancing in them...

Peace,
    Ed

They are called Waldies. I like the design of these but never tried them. I had lightweight Nike sandals and enjoyed them but the waldies look better to me and they are also light.

tlbj6142 - seems like the shoes in the link would press all over your feet. Maybe they would be OK but loose fitting sandals are nice at the end of the day for breathability.

if you can't find those, check out a pair of Teva Mush sandals...very light, a few ounces, and supportive. Cost about 20 bucks...

Images

Here's a picture of someone cutting a rug in their Waldies...

http://www.whiteblaze.net/gallery/sh...php?photo=1047

You can buy direct from Walden Sports at http://www.waldenstore.com/waldies.html

Anyone know how much they weigh?

Peace,
    Ed

NOTE - just got an email back from Walden Sports, the Waldies weigh in at 11.5 ounces at the most (the XXLs).

Yellow Jacket
    Images

Quite a bit lighter than my 20oz NIKE ACG sandals. Might be worth a look.
    Yellow Jacket -- Words of Wisdom (tm) go here.

Default ComfortClogs

The clogs in the picture are called ComfortClogs, they are made in Canada for medical professionals, gardeners etc... I am actually wearing a pair right now I am a nurse and just got off shift, these are pretty common footware in the hospital. Not sure of exact weight but estimate 7-9 oz!! thats for a pair!!!. Very comfy even when standing for 12 hour shifts. They make great camp shoes as well, waterproof (your feet get wet but clogs are foam and dont absorb any), very breathable thanks to multiple vents on top and sides. I would highly recommend them. Heres a link to a nursing supply company with good prices and always in stock.

http://www.allheart.com/fpac.html

Only $16.94 USD

Peace, Rich

Except for the picture I've never seen the shoes, so perhaps a user can correct me if I'm wrong, but I believe that camp shoes should also be able to function as hiking shoes needed. These clogs do not appear to able to function as a hiking shoe. I'll continue to use sandals as a camp shoe.

Images

I tend to agree with max patch, which is why I'd like to find a good pair of light Teva's. Someone recommended the Mush above, but those are thongs, which don't play nice with socks. Any recommendations on Teva's for the trail?

Ed

Yellow Jacket
    Images

Why do camp shoes have to function as trail shoes as well?

BTW, this past weekend, we saw several thru-hikers on the trail wearing open-heeled sandals.

The waldies were a big hit this year at Neal's Gap, so many hikers purchased them....I read of two hikers on trailjournals using them as emergency hiking shoes...don't know how practical? I looked at them in a size 10 1/2 mens and they were around 11-12 ounces.

Originally posted by tlbj6142
    Why do camp shoes have to function as trail shoes as well
    They don't HAVE to but if you are going to carry the extra weight (some don't) of camp shoes it makes sense that they be multi-functional. Your boots or trail runners may fail between town (happened to me) OR your boots may give you blisters early in your hike (happens to many) and a change of footwear may prove beneficial.

Tevas are great for fording some of deeper, faster flowing Maine streams. I don't know how good clogs would be.

I guess it depends what you want. For me camp shoes are something to wear at the end of the day to allow your feet to breathe and protect the bottoms of your feet. The lightest option is the most attractive. I have never seen a light pair of tevas.

Yellow Jacket
    Images

That is exactly how I use camp shoes; air out the pigs. For river crossings, I just leave my shoes on, but take off my socks and insoles. Feet stay dry (after the crossing) and I have better support on the riverbed than with sandals.

LT '79; AT '73-'14 in sections; Donating Member Kerosene's Avatar
    Images

Just got a response from Jon at Walden Sports who says that a women's size 8 weighs in at 9 ounces, while a men's size 10 comes in at 11 ounces. This makes them very comparable to all but the flimsiest slippers I've considered.
    GA←↕→ME: 1973 to 2014

Presto....the Teva Mush flip flops weigh in at about 8 ounces....

The Teva Mushs are lighter than I thought they were (size 9 mens = 8 oz. However, the design of them (having the thong between toes) prohibits the use of socks in colder weather. I still like the Waldies design best. An alternate camp shoe a friend of mine used was tennis shoe insoles and duct tape. Now thats lightweight.

:banana

Inserts and duct tape for camp shoes!! Thats the best freaking idea I've ever heard. Thank you.

Yellow Jacket
    Images

If you like the duct tape and insole idea, check out this idea.

Default one ounce camp sandals

I made some of those one-ounce camp sandals that tlbj posted the link to in the preceding post, and they're awesome. Can't beat the price, either (free)!

Before making them, I did a lot of hiking with no camp shoes, to save weight, and these are great--they give your feet a break from boots but don't break your back in your pack. Highly recommended!
    Amazin' Grace
    "Give your heart to the path, and beauty will come."

Walking Home: A Woman's Pilgrimage on the Appalachian Trail

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
++ New Posts ++