WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Default WM 20 degree Ultralight sleeping bag

I am doing some comparisons and would like your opinions--are there any other bags comparable in quality and weight to the Western Mountaineer 20 degree ultralight and, if so, what should l look at? I am not so concerned about price, but if there is something of comparable quality, I'd like to know what it would be.

Thanks! gum

Images

one of the closest in comparison would be the marmot helium +15. Main difference is full vs. 3/4 zip and draft collar. WM is also cut much tighter. Becuase of zipper, I opted for the WM. So far I have only been able to test it one night.

The only other bags that compare to WM in terms of quality, IMHO, are Feathered Friends bags. Marmot makes a darn decent bag too, but WM and FF are just a cut above the rest.

I have the WM Ultralite, and it's a hell of a bag. I used it on my PCT attempt, and it handled temps down in the low teens with no problem. I personally don't think there's a better full 3 season bag out there right now.

I also have the WM Apache SMF, which is a great bag, slightly warmer, and a little heavier. I've used a TNF Blue Kazoo, which was OK, but not nearly as good as the others. I haven't used Feathered Friends bags, but I've seen them up close and have been very impressed, and the people I know who do use them love them. They're also expensive though.

Anyway, long answer to a short question. Sorry. For quality, WM and FF.
    Don't take anything I say seriously... I certainly don't.

Images

I also have a WM Apache SMF. You really can't go wrong with a WM bag. I have tried a Ultralight before and they are a tight bag around the shoulders. If that bothers you you might look at something with more girth.

Something alse to consider, WM bags are generally considered very conservative with temp ratings. A lot of people say a 20degree WM will do 0degrees easy. I have been in my bag in the low 20's and I was hot enough to keep the bag partially unzipped most of the night.
    "For those who understand, no explanation is needed; for those who do not, none will do." ---Jerry Lewis

Images

If money is no object, go for the Ultralite. I used it from Springer to NY and again from Glencliff to Katahdin. It's seen maybe a hundred additional nights after my thru-hike. Damn good investment. Definately a cut above Marmot. Plus you can get the bags re-stuffed with 4 oz of down, which I plan to do.
    Anything's within walking distance if you've got the time.
    GA-ME 03, LT 04/06, PCT 07'

Images

Feathered Friends makes very, very good bags, which you can get with various custom options on fill, length, shell material, etc.

That said, we own three WM bags -- my Megalite and Antelope, and Dragonfly's Ultralite. Great bags.
    Ken B
    'Big Cranky'
    Our Long Trail journal

Images

As mentioned by others, the only company that can really compete with WM is Feathered Friends. I've spent a ton of nights in the Ultralight and the Highlite. I think I wrote some reviews of these bags somewhere on this site. But, briefly, I've used the UL for weekend, weeklong, and month long trips, ranging from mountaineering to long distance hiking to nights at a lake lounging with beer and friends. I wouldn't describe the cut as tight, but there isn't any wasted space for your body to heat. I'm 6'4" with broad shoulders and have plenty of room. Now, when I get into my Marmot Arroyo, it feels like I'm swimming in fabric.

The UL is a legit 20 degree bag. The Marmot is rated to 30, but isn't really there. More like upper 30s. If price isn't a problem, buy anything from WM or FF and be happy. If I had to choose a bag for a long distance hike, like the PCT or CDT or early starting on the AT, I'd take the UL for sure.

I've been using the 20-degree Feathered Friends Swallow for years. Light, well made, absolutely reliable, available in a range of outer fabrics. FF also does custom fills and will talk to you about other custom desires/needs. WM seems to be the favorite manufacturer of American long-distance hikers, and they make superb bags, but if you're seriously looking for a serious bag, you also need to look at FF.

A few things. Most people who have used Marmot, WM, and feathered friends are happy with them. Many people who like a piece of gear try to convert everyone else to use the same one to validate their own purchase even if another brand is as good or better (we all do this to a certain extent, some more then others). Temperature ratings between different manufacturers mean different things since they are measured differently.

Feathered Friends: I'm sure these are high quality bags as they are hand made to order taking a few weeks to receive them. You can customize these bags however you like. They are also the most expensive of the 3. They also weight slightly more, though you have control of features that add/subtract weight. If you have money to burn and want a high quality bag that you can customize, this is your bag.

Western Mountaineering: They have 2 of the lightest down sleeping bags out there. Though they are able to do this by sizing them narrower and using a slightly higher temperature rating then Marmot's equilvanet bags. The advantage of the narrower sizing is there is less extra space for your body to heat up. The disadvantage is the more adventurous sleeper will not like the tight confined space. Many people praise this brand so you know you are safe picking it. It also will be the cheapest of the 3 as they go on sale quite often if you look long enough. If you go to sleep and don't move much, this is the bag for you.

Marmot: They are sized larger then WM bags. Marmot bags are Shoulder:62", Hip:58", Footbox:40" while WM bags are S:59", H:51",
    F:38". This allows you to toss and turn in the bag easier though you have more air space you have to heat up. However, for years they had a reputation of being generous in their tempature rating. They are rated for a slightly colder temperature. They weight 1-2oz more the closest WM bag. They also are more expensive then WM since they don't go on sale as often. If WM bags seem too confining, or you like turning during the night without the bag rotating with you, this is the bag for you.

That said, I will now spit out my own propaganda. I like Marmot bags. I own 3 of them. Their lightest weight bags are the Helium (+15F, 1lb 13oz), Hydrogen (+30F, 1lb 5oz), and Atom(+40F, 16oz). I own the Hydrogen, Atom and a 1997 model of the Pinnacle (15F, 2lb 7oz). In 1997, Marmot had the lightest down bags available so I bought one and was hooked on them since. After a decade of use, my Pinnacle is still looking as good as new. What I hate the most about it is it's TOO warm. I have always been too hot in it even with the temperature being in the teens. But since it is in excellent condition and because I rarely need a bag for use when the temperature drops into the teens, I have no reason to replace it with a lighter bag (yes, I realize that my pinnacle isn't the lightest bag anymore). My Atom(40F) I bought for summer but I have been caught in cold weather were the temperature dropped to 28F more then once and was plenty warm by adding a Cocoon Silk Liner (4.3oz), and some clothing. I bought my Hydrogen(30F) for my hopefully 2007 thru-hike of the PCT. It has been a great bag for low 30's so far. Considering it is the same as my Atom except for more fill, I am confident that I can push it down to at least 20F if not furthur using my liner and clothing. I don't understand that comment earlier about it not working below 35F as that has not been my experience. I will be testing how low I can push it next week on a week long backpacking trip though I'll have my MontBell Inner Down Jacket along just in case.

Just remember, opinions are like @$$holes, everyone has one. The
    only one that matters is the one you have to live with on the trail. It doesn't matter if a sleeping bag works for 10 other people if you end up not enjoying it. See if you can try out a few bags in a store and how they feel closed up around you.

Images

Miner's post is a good one, but let me point out that Western Mountaineering does offer several bags in a wider cut, for the broad-shouldered among us.
    Ken B
    'Big Cranky'
    Our Long Trail journal

Default WM 20 deg Ultralight

Lots of info already, but I'll add a bit. I am 5'2" and about 130#. I owned the Ultralight and really liked it EXCEPT that I did find it too tight as I tend to toss around quite a bit. I gave it away and got myself the Megalite (short) which is really nice and roomy for me. I don't use it in cold weather so the extra space to heat up is not really an issue. Also, since I am a cold sleeper, I got a free 2oz overfill in my Megalite through Hermit Hut website. Of course this does make it weight 2 oz more. Hermit Hut offers their WM bags with the overfill at the same price as the regular fill. I have a WM Puma also which I use for colder weather. My hiking partner uses a Marmot Helium and is very happy with that. She had the zipper replaced with a 2 way so she could vent her legs. I prefer the WM because I like the full zipper. Enjoy your shopping. You really can't go wrong with any of the bags discussed so far as long as the size and temperature rating are suited to you. Good luck.

what would you suggest outside of down --

One small addition, the dimensions for the WM and Marmot bags I gave are for their lightest down bags and may not apply to their heavier (in weight) bags since those are the ones that most people are interested in.

This website has a good comparison chart of different brands of sleeping bags, their temp ratings, sizing, and weight.
    http://www.backpacking.net/gearbag-chart.html

Geezer

Quote Originally Posted by Miner View Post
    Marmot: They are sized larger then WM bags. Marmot bags are Shoulder:62", Hip:58", Footbox:40" while WM bags are S:59", H:51",
    I have a WM 30* Megalite, shoulder = 65", and am looking at a 15* Badger, shoulder width 67".
    Frosty

Images

Link below is to a great comparison chart that give you all the specs of most major brands. This helped me in my search last summer. I need the larger girth but wanted light weight as well. I spent much time reseearching and settled on two choices. The WM Badger was probobly the best because of its size, rating and girth but I settled on a Kelty Lightyear 25 because it was lighter and 1/2 the cost. Also, I felt like I did not need the 15 degree rating of the Badger. I am happy so far with the Lightyear 25 (only limited use). That said, I think the WM Ultralight that you are considering would be a great bag (assuming you are comfortable with the fit). Hope the Chart helps you decide. Good luck.

Images

Quote Originally Posted by halftime View Post
    Link below is to a great comparison chart that give you all the specs of most major brands. This helped me in my search last summer. I need the larger girth but wanted light weight as well. I spent much time reseearching and settled on two choices. The WM Badger was probobly the best because of its size, rating and girth but I settled on a Kelty Lightyear 25 because it was lighter and 1/2 the cost. Also, I felt like I did not need the 15 degree rating of the Badger. I am happy so far with the Lightyear 25 (only limited use). That said, I think the WM Ultralight that you are considering would be a great bag (assuming you are comfortable with the fit). Hope the Chart helps you decide. Good luck.

This chart is the same as the one Miner posted. Did not see before my post.

First let me say that I have no experience with Feathered Friend's bags so I can't speak about them. I currently use the Western Mountaineering Ultralight. I don't have a problem with the girth and I'm 6', 200 lbs. If you like a bit more room look at the Alpinlight Super which is the same bag with a bit more girth (64" at the shoulder as compared to 59" for the Ultralight) and just 5 ounces heavier. One exceptional feature of the Ultralight that I don't think has been mentioned yet is the full draft collar that wraps around your neck and completely seals off the interior. This is a big help in keeping the bag warm as it just about totally eliminates any heat loss due to 'bellows' effect. The zippers on the WM bags are also almost snag-free. And, certainly not least...that Made In The USA label.

Marmot bags are great but for the same price, I don't really see why you'd choose one. Marmot's hood designs on their top of the line bags are more comfortable than the WM bags, due to a nice face muff that cradles you face. Other than that, WM edges out Marmot's bags by just a little bit in every area.

I also own a North Face Blue Kazoo which is accurately temp rated at 20 degrees. It's been a great value for the money (I think I paid around $125 for it) and has been bomber.

Other companies to consider are Valandre and Montbell. Valandre has a pedigree similar to Western Mountaineering but doesn't get the face time due to the fact that they're a European company so its much rarer to find their products on the shelves of your local outfitter. Montbell seems to be the 'comfort king' due to their patented stretch baffle construction. They sure are comfortable bags but you'll end up carrying a bit more weight for the convenience. Still, I would check 'em out before you drop $350 on a new bag.

Oh, and someone should probably suggest you take a look at quilts, too. Try Jacks R Better and Nunatak to start.

Geezer

Quote Originally Posted by halftime View Post
    I spent much time reseearching and settled on two choices. The WM Badger was probobly the best because of its size, rating and girth but I settled on a Kelty Lightyear 25 because it was lighter and 1/2 the cost.
    and keeps you half as warm. Have you used it yet at 25*? Better try it in your backyard before heading into the woods when the temps will be in the 20's.

It was buying a lightyear that sent me to WM. I don't kow where Kelty gets its ratings, but I can tell you that the 30* WM (Megalite) will keep me far warmer than the 25* Lightyear.

The lightyear is still a good bag, and I still use it above 35-40*, but not when the temps get anywhere near freezing, because that's freezing is what I'd be doing if I used it in cold weather. The 30* WM I was comfy in down to about 25*. One night in the teens I was very cold in it, so the limit (for me) is about 20*. I sleep pretty warm, but not warm enough to be comfortable at the "temp rating" of the Lightyear.
    Frosty

Images

Frosty's point is an important one.
    For those of you comparing brands, using price, weight, fill power, space, etc. in general it's important to realize that high end brands are high end for a reason. WM and Feathered Friends are probably the only bags that will give accurate temp ratings. WM is typically conservative with their numbers, and can usually be used 5 degrees below the suggested ratings.

It's been my experience with other brands such as Marmot, NorthFace, Kelty and Lafuma that the temp ratings are not at all accurate, and that most likely you'll stay alive at the temps they suggest, not warm.
    Anything's within walking distance if you've got the time.
    GA-ME 03, LT 04/06, PCT 07'

Quote Originally Posted by Pong View Post
    I am 5'2" and about 130#. I owned the Ultralight and really liked it EXCEPT that I did find it too tight as I tend to toss around quite a bit.
    I'm 5'5, 165 lb, and toss and turn a lot too. My Ultralite just turns with me when I do. It fits quite well other than being a bit long (I have the regular length), although when I first got it, not being used to a more form fitting bag, it did seem constrictive. After sleeping in it a few cold nights, I don't feel that way anymore - it was just a matter of getting used to it I guess. The one drawback I see with the snug fit is that I do have to unzip it if I want to add clothing layers, which I could (barely) do in my old bag without unzipping it.

I'm very happy with my WM Ultralight. I can't speak for the other bags since I haven't tried them.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
++ New Posts ++