WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    Images

Default Acreage and Views! F/S

This ad from the Greenville, Maine Moosehead Messenger;

Century 21 Muzzy Real Estate Greenville Me.

MONSON: 60+- acre mountainside lot with a panoramic view of several Northern Maine lakes. Privacy is assured behind a locked gate. The Appalachian Trail runs along the Southern border. Lake Hebron is close by. #1756 $135,000

Images

Wow!!! $135K - Doesn;t get much better than that!!!
    Any idea what taxes are? I've been looking for some cheap property for a B&H strategy.
    .....Someday, like many others who joined WB in the early years, I may dry up and dissapear....

Check this out http://www.citytowninfo.com/places/maine/monson

Tax rates seem to change on a yearly basis but you could expect to pay between $15 and $25 per thousand dollars of valuation.
    WALK ON

From PA moved to Marquette MI, ontop of the Northern Country Trail

How much of the 60 acres is ths side of the mountain? lol
    There’s no point in the destination if you can't enjoy the journey.

Thanks for the tip, Wally! Wow... if I'm reading the AT map and Gazetteer right I may have to call Muzzy! (or Weary!)
    Teej

"[ATers] represent three percent of our use and about twenty percent of our effort," retired Baxter Park Director Jensen Bissell.

http://www.century21muzzy.com/proper...um=1756-823384

Click on "Property details" and there's a PDF with more info.

Springer-->Stony Brook Road VT MedicineMan's Avatar
    Images

Default assuming 1000 WB members

at 165/per person WB could buy it and 'give' it to the AT
    Start out slow, then slow down.

Images

I am not an economist by any stretch, but if property values in this area continue to move the way they have been the last 10 years this land will only increase in value. Taxes will rise acordingly too, I guess.

Images

Quote Originally Posted by skytoproberts View Post
    How much of the 60 acres is ths side of the mountain? lol

There really is not much of a mountain here. Not in the sense of the large mountains the AT goes over in Maine.

Journal Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Toolshed View Post
    Wow!!! $135K - Doesn;t get much better than that!!!
    Any idea what taxes are? I've been looking for some cheap property for a B&H strategy.
    Actually, the price is on the high side. AMC paid less than $400 for the 37,000 acres it bought three years ago. The price per acre goes up for relatively small lots, but such lands could be purchased for $200 an acre a decade ago.

I'm not saying it's not a good investment. Maine's wilderness has been mostly sold to developers like Muzzy and they are making huge profits.

It has been in anticipation of these price increases that I've been begging people on this and other forums for months for donations to provide buffers for the narrow trail corridor in Maine. Quite frankly the response has been considerably less than overwhelming.

Weary www.matlt.org

i didnt know this was an real estate thread !! but hey lets just start if you think muzzy has a deal, lets post other real estate in maine an see what you come up with. deals are every where even in your state the only thing different up here is lack of WORK .

Hi FlowerLady!
    Privately owned land abutting the AT in Maine is hard to come by. I'm always interested in hearing about property like the one listed above, and would snap up the right piece of land in a heartbeat! I think this one is overpriced, it is still on the market though, and I plan on looking at it in person the next time I'm in Monson.
    Teej

"[ATers] represent three percent of our use and about twenty percent of our effort," retired Baxter Park Director Jensen Bissell.

Images

Default land prices

I believe that the price of land in the area has been going up steadily, or not falling, for a long time. I don't see what, other than a major economic slowdown, is going to change that.

It used to be high priced lakefront property but now it is anything reasonable in that area. Roadside and back lots. The lots that Plum Creek may offer are going to go for $60-80k. They said, "well within the price range of the average Mainer". These lots will be much smaller than the land in Monson.

Today's robbery is tomorrow's bargain. That's has been my experience up there.

Just my opinion
    YMMV

Journal Entries

Quote Originally Posted by walkin' wally View Post
    I believe that the price of land in the area has been going up steadily, or not falling, for a long time. I don't see what, other than a major economic slowdown, is going to change that.
    It used to be high priced lakefront property but now it is anything reasonable in that area. Roadside and back lots. The lots that Plum Creek may offer are going to go for $60-80k. They said, "well within the price range of the average Mainer". These lots will be much smaller than the land in Monson.
    Today's robbery is tomorrow's bargain. That's has been my experience up there.
    Just my opinion YMMV
    It's true all over Maine. A friend of mine once turned down buying a 150 acre, salt water peninsular for $25,000 because his lawyer said to wait and he could get it for $15,000. Five acre lots there now sell for $150,000.

I'd be wealthy if in the 50s and 60s I could have afforded to buy all the waterfront land being offered for $15 an acre. Well, maybe not really rich. I gave the one $50 an acre woodlot I did manage to buy to our land trust to help protect a wild pond.

Weary

I wonder what kind of building codes are there?
    ad astra per aspera

Registered User Pacific Tortuga's Avatar
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by Boston View Post
    135k won't even get you a condo here..

The Weasel should quote the prices in Laguna Beach, CA., million dollar fixer-uppers

Images

Quote Originally Posted by Pacific Tortuga View Post
    The Weasel should quote the prices in Laguna Beach, CA., million dollar fixer-uppers
    More like 1.5 milllion. With a tiny ocean view (i.e. you can see a little water). That's for about 800 sq. ft., no yard.

The Weasel
    "Thank God! there is always a Land of Beyond, For us who are true to the trail..." --- Robert Service

Quote Originally Posted by Smile View Post
    I wonder what kind of building codes are there?
    Well if you get on the bandwagon soon, you might still be able to put a OUTHOUSE in. And I would also suggest bringing enough money to live on for a long time Otherwise. plan on traveling some distance to make little money.
    Maine, the way life should be?
    WALK ON

Journal Entries

Quote Originally Posted by woodsy View Post
    ....Maine, the way life should be?
    Maine is like the trail. Some love it. Some hate it.
    I was away for 12 years -- 1946 to 1958. I've never once regretted my decision to return. It's not a good place to get rich -- unless you're into real estate speculation. But it's a great place to live and work.

Of course I've had to rework my tiny bit of Maine to make it fit my special interests. I now can drive two miles in any direction and find a trail through protected woodlands to walk on in any season. Just a bit further is a trail to a wild pond, and another to a thousand feet of sand beach, fronting an 83-acre old growth forest, again all protected through the efforts of a handful of volunteers.

Life is what you make of it. Literally so in my town. I spent the afternoon discussing applicants for an executive director job to serve two adjacent community land trusts.

Weary
    Last edited by weary; 01-30-2007 at 01:27.

Quote Originally Posted by The Weasel View Post
    More like 1.5 milllion. With a tiny ocean view (i.e. you can see a little water). That's for about 800 sq. ft., no yard.

The Weasel
    Two years ago, the cheapest house I saw for sale in Laguna Beach was a literal beach shack, not even a house, on a postage-stamp lot for just under a million. No water view, either.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
++ New Posts ++