WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: Class of 2013

The world is ending in 2012, don't you guys know this? Quit your job now and take the hike!

:awkward silence:

Some have issues; I have a subscription

We're planning for 2013, as well. Also waiting for son to graduate from HS; oldest daughter will be junior in college, so both will take spring semester off to accompany DH. Youngest child and I will keep the home fires burning.

Glad to see there are others planning so far out!

LT '79; AT '73-'14 in sections; Donating Member Kerosene's Avatar
    Images

I hope to finish my 40-year section hike of the AT atop Katahdin on October 13, 2013, so hopefullly I'll run into a bunch of you in northern Maine!
    GA←↕→ME: 1973 to 2014

Images

Quote Originally Posted by Moe View Post
    The world is ending in 2012, don't you guys know this? Quit your job now and take the hike!

:awkward silence:
    If nothing else the Mayan "end days" may solve the Social Security crisis.
    "That's the thing about possum innards - they's just as good the second day." - Jed Clampett

Default Maybe My Luck Will Change

Well now that someone else has started the thread for the Class of 2013 I'll not make a commitment yet but will only say, HOPEFULLY I'll be joining you all.
    I've tried unsuccessfully about 5 or 6 times to make the trip but something has always prevented it from happening.
    I'm ready mentally and I'm in pretty darn good shape, (I think so anyway). The biggest thing right now is getting my financial situation in shape, once that is in order, LOOK OUT AT, here I come.
    In the mean time I'll probably do some section hiking of the AT as well as some of the other trails here in East TN and KY.

Quote Originally Posted by Kerosene View Post
    I hope to finish my 40-year section hike of the AT atop Katahdin on October 13, 2013, so hopefullly I'll run into a bunch of you in northern Maine!
    Hey Kerosene maybe we can summit it together!

I think you were the first person who I had contact with once I joined this site.

Georgetown, South Carolina, United States
    Images

Spring, 2013, NOBO, is my target too. I can retire in Oct 2012 if I want to. Otherwise it will be 2016 and I don't want to wait three MORE years.
    Everyone's first question:
    "Wow - How tall are you?"
    Answer: "I'm 6'6""
    Ergo, my trail name: 'Six-Six'

:banana It's been a while!

Still hoping to be a member of the Class of 2013, although, I had a small speed bump May 09! Bladder Cancer which was a high-grade Cancer, with a return rate of 50 - 80%. So, if I can avoid the return, I still hope to be there
    Cherokee Bill ..... previously known as "billyboy"

-

GG I am also a maybe for 13, going back to school and may have a gap 1st semester in 13, miss you getting the Indiana gang out. If your a go and gear is holding you back take a ride to IL and leave geared up, our sizes are close enough that even clothes will work

Registered User Different Socks's Avatar
    Images

Pardon me for asking: If the OP was this year, and the hike starts in 2013, BUT Billyboy doesn't retire for 6 years, how can he do the trail as a thru hike? 2010 + 6 years = 2013??

Images

:banana

Check date on OP......

Quote Originally Posted by ChinMusic View Post
    Then in the spring of 2013 I go on my adventure. My wife is on board with "shadowing" my trip in an RV. She would move north as I do allowing me to sleep in my own bed from time to time.
    wow, your wife rocks... i'm jealous

Default Cicadas

According to Lynn Setzer's book "A Season on the Appalachian Trail" that I'm reading right now, on page 107, he reports that the 17-year cicadas will be making an appearance in '013'.

George, good to hear from you and that you MAY be making the hike that year. Ya! I miss getting the hike organized up there in IN and I really miss all of the ones I hiked with. Maybe I'll have to move back up North. ha! ha!

Thumbs up Whaaaaaaaaat?

Quote Originally Posted by Different Socks View Post
    Pardon me for asking: If the OP was this year, and the hike starts in 2013, BUT Billyboy doesn't retire for 6 years, how can he do the trail as a thru hike? 2010 + 6 years = 2013??
    Forget the math, etc., etc. Unless the present Whitehouse STAFF (in DC) screws with SS, I will retire July 2012

Spend the rest 2012 getting ready, and if I can keep Cancer from returning , I'll be a SOBO'er in 2013 (at 65-yo)
    Cherokee Bill ..... previously known as "billyboy"

Quote Originally Posted by George View Post
    GG I am also a maybe for 13, going back to school and may have a gap 1st semester in 13, miss you getting the Indiana gang out. If your a go and gear is holding you back take a ride to IL and leave geared up, our sizes are close enough that even clothes will work
    George: I did buy a "Pocket Rocket" before leaving IN and some Aqua Mira.
    I'll wait until the date gets closer before deciding on what else I might want to replace.
    I had a job interview yesterday (09/29/2010) and expect to hear from several other places I applied at. Hopefully "one" of them will give me a job.

Default Happy Count Down

happycountdown.com/Gorp-Gobbler/2013/AT

Who's not excited?

Images

I plan to retire in late 2012.....so will jump into the 2013 class.....depending on other things falling into place (especially health).
    halftime

Default 2013

My wife and I are planning to hike NOBO in 2013. Happy I'm not the only one that plans a through 3 years in advance.
    Concrete is heavy, iron is hard - but the grass will prevail -EA

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
++ New Posts ++