WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 ... LastLast
    I hike, therefore I stink.
    Images

Default College offers AT course

I found this blurb in the news today...I found it amusing. It rolling on a "local wire" for Connecticut, but is in Virginia? Anyways...I wish I'd gone to a college with courses like this:

"CATAWBA, Va. _ April Lucas slings a nylon bag holding a sleeping bag over her shoulder, hoping it will balance satchels carrying leftover pizza, clothes and gear for a night in the woods. A dozen or so companions look more ready for the trek to a primitive campsite, with tents and equipment hanging off backpack frames. But except for the leaders, this is a group of hiking novices who know each other mostly through Internet chats. They're taking a high-tech college course exploring a low-tech subject: the Appalachian Trail. The offering by Bluefield and Ferrum colleges is billed as "online and on foot." By Sue Lindsey. "
    If you don't have something nice to say,
    Be witty in your cruelty.

Images

I think that I met one of their classes when on the trail in 97. Saw them just N of Gooch Gap, to just past Neil's gap.

I seem to remember there being 3 instructors & about 15 Students. They were having a great time.

Doctari.
    Curse you Perry the Platypus!

Is it raining yet?
    Images

Thumbs down State of our education

What a joke. Get a real major.....
    Be Prepared

Quote Originally Posted by BlackCloud View Post
    What a joke. Get a real major.....
    It's a "course", not a "major." You should have stayed in school Blackcloud!

Quote Originally Posted by MOWGLI16 View Post
    It's a "course", not a "major." You should have stayed in school Blackcloud!
    LOL... beat me to it!

Imagine that! And I wonder how much they pay for those college credits.

Quote Originally Posted by fiddlehead View Post
    I don't know but it reminds of the groups I saw in Glacier and the Winds. The first with a backcountry outfitter/guide and the other with NOLS. Some of the NOLS courses cost as much as a semester at college.

A pretty penny...but unfortunately all colleges require some degree of "core" courses, most (if not all) of which are of no use to your major. I'll tell you that there were several courses that I had to take that I gained nothing from, mostly because I had learned more on the subject in high school. If I would have had the option to switch one of those courses with one about the AT, I would not have hesitated.

Regards,
    -MacGyver
    GA-->ME 2005

Section Hiker, 1,040 + miles, donating member peter_pan's Avatar
    Images

So no one here had to take basket weaving or pottery to graduate.... I sure did.... they are normally offered under the Arts....

This looks like more fun...

Pan
    ounces to grams
    WWW.JACKSRBETTER.COM home of the Nest and No Sniveler underquilts and Bear Mtn Bridge Hammock

Two of the best courses I ever took were similar field courses. One was Natural History of the Catskills. We went up to Frost Valley YMCA in January after a 36" snow. We studies birds, small mammals, the climate of the Catskills, a bit of geology, and that weekend I learned to snowshoe and cross country ski.

The other course was Natural History of Cape Cod. We studies coastal geology, birds, and marine mammals. We arrived immediately after a stranding of White-Sided Dolphins, and got to see and learn about that incident.

In todays day & age of obesity, anytime you can instill a love for the outdoors, and encourage students to hike and be physically active - that's a good thing. It just might end up saving their life - unlike any math class that they'll ever take.
    'All my lies are always wishes" ~Jeff Tweedy~

tideblazer
    Images

Default more holisitc and experiential education than you might have had

I would argue that backpacking and even basketweaving (ancient pre-ceramic art) are MORE important than most typical college core courses.

They teach more than modern trends- they expose students to lifeways that have existed for tens of thousands of years, and are still useful today.

While many modern courses are but trends in society, backpacking and basketweaving (often marginalized as non-economic "off-work" activities, which reflects a short value trend in the human timeline) are actually skills that have been and always will be useful skills in providing, understanding, and continuing the legacy of life outside of the economic gamut (although top-end basket-weavers do make some money if you've ever seen in Sante Fe).

There certainly is a balance to be struck between economicly-driven science-based classes, history, language, and leisure arts.

But don't take my word for it. Here are some course evaluations of the backpacking course I taught at the University of Georgia, if I may toot my own horn for a point. Have you EVER heard such enthusiastic response from a core requirement (they had to choose 1 PE):

"...Getting to go to Springer, have lunch by a waterfall, and gather around the fire with the through hikers at night was amazing. I felt safe and prepared, which I think made the trip more enjoyable. Nate was approachable and understanding, he was willing to listen to any questions we had. Great class-thank you!"

"Thank you for this experience, it was the first experience I've ever had with backpacking and it was so much more than I expected."

"This class was great- one of the best I've taken in four years. Nate, however, made the class what it was. I appreciate his energy and honest belief in the subject matter. I think I took a lot from the class, about backpacking, and more."

"I really enjoyed this class! Nate did a wonderful job introducing us to the world of hiking and sparked an interest for me in pursuing longer & more challenging hikes. Nate's experience on the subject was of great benefit on our trip, and he took the subject matter of the class to broader and better levels. I would whole-heartedly recommend the class and will take what I have learned here on future endeavors."

"Great course"

"One of the best teachers I have had. Motivated me to plan and hike more outdoors. Taught awesome ideas in order to save money and weight on gear."

"FUN TIMES!"

"... Really made me want to get into backpacking and gave me a greater appreciation of nature."
    Last edited by Tha Wookie; 11-22-2006 at 21:04.
    www.ridge2reef.org -Organic Tropical Farm, Farm Stays, Group Retreats.... Trail life in the Caribbean

AT Wanderer and '08 Dreamer Kevin A. Boyce's Avatar
    Images

Plus some colleges, the local community one here in Dutchess County has (or at least used to have) a PE class for hiking/backpacking... You had to take two 1/2 semester PE classes there, they were everything from archery and bowling to tennis... I took cycling... One of the best classes I took in college was a history of the city of New York class... A few field trips, lots of papers, but I still use those texts that we had to get for reference.

Kind of cool that there is an Appalachian Trail class... I wish that there were more 'localized' classes for students to take at their local colleges, it may let them learn to have a more local stake in the school instead of a place to go to for a few years and then more on. I think that it is a trend that is starting to develop....

Images

I just went to both schools course guides on line, I can't find any mention of it. Anyone else find anything?

I do THINK that the class I talked to was from Ferrum, I'm about 90% sure.

They were on a multi day (week? multi week? I don't remember.) hike, as opposed to a one day field trip.

Doctari.
    Curse you Perry the Platypus!

Here is a link on the topic:
    http://bcweb.bluefield.edu/appalachiantrail/index.php

my local SUNY College offers Expeditionary Studies as a major. The webpages says you will focus in one of the following areas, Sea Kayaking, Backcountry or Climbing. The degree focused more on guiding expeditions, outdoor saftey, etc. Its listed as a Bachelor of Science.

If i had to do it all over.....

Images

I just finished my bowling class at local university. . would much rather have had the AT course option

I guess it's a good thing. Obviously most of you think so. My point is that if someone wants to learn about backpacking on the AT, it would be a better idea to just go out and do it, rather than pay whatever it is for a college credit or 3 in these times. I guess people are generally lazy and it's easier to take a course while you're going to university than it is to go out backpacking for a week or so.
    Yeah, NOLS is wicked expensive too. That's why i say: Go figure? I guess people pay the money.
    How many thru hiking days would YOU get out of the price of a NOLS or university course?

Images

I guess it's a good thing. . .
    All fair points, but if a PE class is required and I had to shell out anyway, you bet your stinky ol' hikin' socks I'd take the class.
    Me no care, me here free beer. Tap keg, please?

Quote Originally Posted by Oddjob View Post
    Here is a link on the topic:
    http://bcweb.bluefield.edu/appalachiantrail/index.php

my local SUNY College offers Expeditionary Studies as a major. The webpages says you will focus in one of the following areas, Sea Kayaking, Backcountry or Climbing. The degree focused more on guiding expeditions, outdoor saftey, etc. Its listed as a Bachelor of Science.

If i had to do it all over.....
    SUNY Empire State College (where I graduated) uses SUNY Cortland's facility on Raquette Lake in the Adirondacks to do outdoor programs. It's a great facility. In fact, it's one of the original great camps in the Adirondacks owned by Durant.

Is it raining yet?
    Images

Thumbs down Allow me to clarify!

Take a real class.

Take your formal, structured, for-pay education seriously and take real classes.

It's still a joke.
    Be Prepared

Images

Quote Originally Posted by BlackCloud View Post
    Take a real class.

Take your formal, structured, for-pay education seriously and take real classes.

It's still a joke.
    What could be more realistic than chosing an elective that you enjoy and want to learn more about? Especially since (in Science and Engineering fields) only 2/3 follow a career path related to their degree anyway.

Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 ... LastLast
++ New Posts ++