WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast

Thread: Sheltowee Trace

Default Starr Creek Shelter

The Starr Creek Shelter in the Cumberland Falls area is being renovated this weekend. It was damaged by fallen trees and will be better than new when the trail crew is finished. They are spending the whole weekend out there.

To the trail crew have fun, be safe and thank you!

Taba

When is the best time to hike this trail? I have some time in March and want to know if that is too early in the year for a KY hike.

March is not too early in Kentucky. The trees will not have started budding yet so don't expect much color unless you came towards the very end of March. Have fun on your hike.

Quote Originally Posted by 58starter View Post
    When is the best time to hike this trail? I have some time in March and want to know if that is too early in the year for a KY hike.
    I'm new to KY but I've been on the ST a few times and yes, I think March is fine. You could have some cold nights but not likely single digits.

One thing I've discovered in KY which hit home again last weekend when I day-hiked down around Cumberland Falls including portions of the ST: the huge rock houses/rock shelters in KY are quite unique, fascinating, and scenic. But hiking in winter or early Spring, icicles hanging from them can be very hazardous i.e. you wouldn't want one to fall on your head. Some of these ice formations are substantial in weight and size. While there are icicles of some sort anywhere where there's winter, the angles and overhangs of these rock houses allows for huge icicles like I've never seen on the AT in my winter hikes. Sometimes they fall as they're melting, other times from the sheer weight. So be careful!
    Last edited by Cookerhiker; 01-26-2011 at 20:37.

Quote Originally Posted by Cookerhiker View Post
    ... Some of these ice formations are substantial in weight and size. ...
    Here's a photo I took of Bill last Saturday on the Sheltowee Trace. This had fell earlier and landed in middle of trail.

Quote Originally Posted by BSF-Hiker View Post
    Here's a photo I took of Bill last Saturday on the Sheltowee Trace. This had fell earlier and landed in middle of trail.
    Yup - thanks for posting Doug. This doesn't look real big in the picture but it was at least 30 lbs. It's a typical example of what can fall from those overhangs.

Thank to all who responded. Is there a list of camping sites and gps coord.?
    Everytime I ask this question on ST forum someone wants me to buy a book.

Thank to all who responded. Is there a list of camping sites and gps coord.?
    Everytime I ask this question on ST forum someone wants me to buy a book.
    Sorry, I can't improve on that. Taba's new guidebook, described on this WB thread which has links to his site - has camp sites, water sources, road crossings, and other info but of course it's not free. Johnny Molloy also has the Sheltowee in his guidebook series but again, you pay.

Perhaps you can find some on-line trail journals of hikers who have thruhiked the entire Sheltowee and note where they camped.

Personally, I'd buy Taba's book - in fact, I already have.

Images

The Sheltowee Trace is no where as organized at the A.T.. It is just as rugged and difficult but you will find less restrictions while on the trail. There are three shelters south of London and that is all. There are many places where you can camp for the night under the stars. Bill's suggestion about reading some of the hiker journals on the ST Forum is an excellent idea if you are not interested in buying the book. Rick McQuerry's journal is perhaps the best and most current of the one's posted.
    Discover Kentucky's Long Tail. Join The Sheltowee Trace Association and help us maintain, grow and preserve this national resource.

Are you planning a thru-hike, a big section or a short weekend hike?

I am planning on a week long section hike sometimes this summer. Have not decided if I am going north or south. My nephew in KY is going to pick me us a copy of your book. I am doing 6 weeks on the AT starting March 20th going North this year. I alway like to hike the last week of June into the July 4th weekend, so I was thinking about the Sheltowee this year for a change. I am from Calhoun, Ky and went to UK and WKU

coolest thing on that trail is george washingtons initials on the far wall of natural bridge he made when he survayed it. he was standing on the ground when he wrote on the rock but the river has carved out so much material his initials are now 20 feet off the ground. its like a time line and graffetti and our founding fathers mark all in one. love natural bridge. aint been their since i was 9.
    matthewski

I am planning on a week long section hike sometimes this summer. Have not decided if I am going north or south. My nephew in KY is going to pick me us a copy of your book. I am doing 6 weeks on the AT starting March 20th going North this year. I alway like to hike the last week of June into the July 4th weekend, so I was thinking about the Sheltowee this year for a change. I am from Calhoun, Ky and went to UK and WKU
    So you changed your timeframe from your previous post? Late June into early July, you could have some hot weather.

Yes, I changed my time frame. My Nephew in KY and his son (13) have hiked 3 sections of the AT with me and want to do 5 or 6 days in March during their spring break. I think we can do Hwy 40 to Sam's gap (65miles) in 6 days.

Journal Entries
    Images

Me and a friend in our hiking club thru hiked the Sheltowee several years ago. We were newbies and it was my very first long distance hike! I can remember following alongside the scenic Cumberland River for miles, coming to a falls and a park and the arches of RR Gorge towards the end. I got lost coming off one of the road walks.

58Starter: in the southern sections you will have a lot of water with a number of fords. The northern sections have some dry ridgelines so bring extra water.
    Camping in the south shouldn't be too hard to find for an experienced hiker. Camping in the north can be more challenging.
    Blazes can be a good distance apart from each other and can make it hard to follow.
    Good luck on your hikes both on the AT with your nephew and his 13 year old son (that's fantastic) and on the Trace.

It has been several years since i thru hiked it. Did what some would consider a speed hike through it, just under 2 weeks. There were a lot of road walks back then, which allowed for pretty decent pace while hiking. I have been in the southern area several times since that hike and see where new trail has been built to get it off the paved roads in the southern section. Still a bit of road walking in BSF and still a lot of ATV trail between I-75 and Cumberland Lake. But rest of that section is pretty nice.
    ----------------
    SMHC Trail Maintainer
    Volunteer in the Park (VIP) GSMNP

anyone know where I can purchase a Sheltowee Trace patch. I bought one when I thru hiked at one of the ranger stations. It was red with a white turtle blaze. My pack got stolen and I havent been able to find a replacement patch.
    ----------------
    SMHC Trail Maintainer
    Volunteer in the Park (VIP) GSMNP

Quote Originally Posted by Ox97GaMe View Post
    anyone know where I can purchase a Sheltowee Trace patch. I bought one when I thru hiked at one of the ranger stations. It was red with a white turtle blaze. My pack got stolen and I havent been able to find a replacement patch.
    Contact Traildust on WB. He usually checks this thread.

Images

That red patch was produced by the Forest Service. I haven't seen it around the District offices when we have had meetings. The only patch they have is a volunteer patch.

The Sheltowee Trace Association is producing a new thruhiker - section hiker patch. When we get them in in the next week or so we will put a picture up on our website www.sheltoweetrace.org.
    Discover Kentucky's Long Tail. Join The Sheltowee Trace Association and help us maintain, grow and preserve this national resource.

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast
++ New Posts ++