WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Oooops. I made a mistake. I just consulted the good ole Wingfoot book...I mixed up Lost Pond Shelter and Little Rock Pond Shelter. They are about 6 miles apart....I never even stopped in to see Lost Pond Shelter! Either way, its no excuse for some of the CRAP vandalism that takes place up there in VT.

Quote:
    In addition, I had heard that at the road crossing north of Lost Pond Shelter there had been a terrible incident of vandalism in which the windows of several cars were smashed and the cars were rolled down a hill.
    -----------------
    Same thing is happening in the Whites, vehicle's being vandalized in many areas. Any good booby trap suggestions?
    WALK ON

Minnesota Smith-"Why not rebuild them with stone? A stone shelter (there are many on the AT now, so there's no acceptability issue) is virtually fireproof."
    Anyone who has hiked the A.T. knows there are no stone shelters on the A.T.. In GSMNP there are shelters built with stone walls and fireplaces but the roof rafters and beams are wood. You also don't sleep on stone or dirt but on wooden platforms. All these shelters (and a few in NY) could be heavily damaged by fire and would have to be rebuilt before they could be used. The stone walls might survive a fire but could be damaged or cracked by the high heat of a fire as well. This is no different than a "brick" house that burns leaving just the walls and has to be leveled because the remaining brickwork and cement is no longer structurally sound. An engineer might be able to explain the physics of this to you.

The only "stone" shelter I've visited is Muir Hut at 11,996 feet and that has a cone or dome shaped roof so it needs no wood in the roof. The inside also has stone seats around the inside wall that you might sleep on.

A few other shelters (Don Nelan, Key Gap, Silver Hill) have been burned or damaged by fire over the years as well.
    Last edited by The Old Fhart; 12-03-2006 at 22:55. Reason: add Silver Hill

Quote Originally Posted by The Old Fhart View Post

A few other shelters (Don Nelan, Key Gap, Silver Hill) have been burned or damaged by fire over the years as well.
    A memory test! Didn't the one just north of Hanover (Trapper John?) burn down- just the chimney left?, and in my Dad's day the old one above O Joy Brook on the Hunt trail. And the way so many are getting scorched by alky stoves there'll be more soon, I think.

Sorry to hear this Mrs Gorp, a real shame.
    Teej

"[ATers] represent three percent of our use and about twenty percent of our effort," retired Baxter Park Director Jensen Bissell.

I can't help wonder if it is truly worth rebuilding this shelter. It certainly seems like someone (disgruntled hunter, hiker or ganja grower) has a grudge against it. Whatever the case, it's a strain on GMC resources and money. Not only that, but there is a perfectly serviceable shelter less than two miles north. How about converting it to a designated camping area? Keep the privy and the washpit, and rehab the site with a couple of hardened (dirt, please dirt!) tentsites.
    "I too am not a bit untamed, I too am untranslatable,
    I sound my barbaric yawp over the roofs of the world." - W. W.

obligatory website link

•Completed A.T. Section Hike GA to ME 1996 thru 2003 •Donating Member Skyline's Avatar
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by Sly View Post
    Must be Maine humor...

The Jerry Cabin Shelter had a phone, but it looked to be wireless. It didn't work either!
    Was wireless before wireless was cool. :-)

Images

Sounds like a bad place to waste valuable resources rebuilding a shelter of any type because it will most likely get burned down again. If these folks are really intent at getting rid of that shelter, then a stone one won't stand a chance either. Hauling heavier building supplies in there to make a new one in hopes it won't get destroyed either sounds like bad management of workers and money.

Stop wasting valuable resources on a shelter. Hikers should be able to survive hiking through that section without a shelter anyway.
    SGT Rock
    http://hikinghq.net

My 2008 Trail Journal of the BMT/AT

BMT Thru-Hikers' Guide
    -----------------------------------------

NO SNIVELING

El Sordo
    Images

Don't forget the Blood Mountain shelter. That one is of stone. Coldest shelter in the southern mountains as far as I am concerned.

TJ aka Teej-"Didn't the one just north of Hanover (Trapper John?) burn down- just the chimney left?........"
    generoll-"Don't forget the Blood Mountain shelter."
    I wasn't trying to make an all inclusive list but thanks for pointing out those shelters as well. Again, as I pointed out with the others, the Blood Mountain shelter has wooden rafters, etc., and therefore isn't fireproof.

Back in the day Jerry Cabin shelter was burnt by ATVers. The roof is wood. They used to ride all over that mountain.

Registered User Frolicking Dinosaurs's Avatar
    Images

While we are discussing shelter materials - have any shelters used the relatively new steel framing materials? As I understand it, this material is lighter than same-size treated wood and has several advantages in residential construction that might make it a plausible choice for trail maintenance groups:
    Cost less than both traditional lumber and (much less than) treated wood
    Non-flammable & termite proof
    Won't support mold growth, warp, creep, or bow
    Won't swell or shrink due to moisture or changing temperatures
    No nail-pops because of screwed connections
    Highest recycled content of any building product

Maybe a shelter made of mouse bones? No, wait; how about vandal bones?

Quote Originally Posted by Poison View Post
    I have heard of tons of problems with the locals in that area of Vermont. When I was finishing up my thru-hike, I had to go back to do this section of VT and stayed at Lost Pond Shelter. It was clean and in great condition.
    In addition, I had heard that at the road crossing north of Lost Pond Shelter there had been a terrible incident of vandalism in which the windows of several cars were smashed and the cars were rolled down a hill.

I'm sure whatever happened to Lost Pond Shelter is definitely related to some of the other events that have happened recently.

I'm not sure why that is because every Vermonter I met was pleasant.
    But when I hiked the Long Trail in 2002, I returned to North Adams to find the rear window of my new Subaru smashed out, along with a cracked front windshield. Cops said it had been vandals, and they'd trashed other cars at the edge of town.
    That "incident" made it quite an expensive trip, as my then-auto insurance deduction was $1,000. Ouch! The car had been parked at a car repair shop that charged to let you park. I should say,they declined to charge me for the month.

I second the calls for a designated camp spot. It's a lovely spot.

El Sordo
    Images

as a side light, had this (vandalism and burning) occured in Tennessee or one of the other southern, 'bible belt' states, I have to wonder if the posters would be so understanding.

Registered User Frolicking Dinosaurs's Avatar
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by generoll View Post
    as a side light, had this (vandalism and burning) occured in Tennessee or one of the other southern, 'bible belt' states, I have to wonder if the posters would be so understanding.
    Quote Originally Posted by Mouse View Post
    Maybe a shelter made of mouse bones? No, wait; how about vandal bones?
    I'm thinking yes

Lost Pond can easily be accessed via an old logging road just a short distance from the shelter where the AT/LT crosses the culvert south of the shelter. Most of the vandalism occurs at USFS Road 10 and has been a problem for years, hence one should never overnight park there. The Gov Clement shelter situation has also been ongoing for many years. It's too bad since the location is nice, but despite all the discussion nothing has been done to try and remedy the situation. The truth of the matter up here is that it is only a small group who causes the problems, but even in the off chance they are caught not much if anything is done to them. Many sites (trailheads) on the Long Trail north of the AT also are routine problem spots. The GMC has not even mentioned the loss of Lost Pond shelter on their website. Agree that no new shelter is needed at the site, just create better tenting sites.

Registered User Dances with Mice's Avatar
    Images

Maybe its some sort of tradition.
    You never turned around to see the frowns
    On the jugglers and the clowns
    When they all did tricks for you.

It's a shame. I stayed there 2 years ago (shortly after it had been rebuilt) and it was quite nice. I think a designated campground is the way to go.

Quote Originally Posted by The Old Fhart View Post
    The only "stone" shelter I've visited is Muir Hut at 11,996 feet and that has a cone or dome shaped roof so it needs no wood in the roof. The inside also has stone seats around the inside wall that you might sleep on
    I've been there. They ask you not to sleep there because they don't want anyone using the fragile surrounding area to go to the bathroom, but I stayed up there (made sure I used the "facilities" before I got there). Apparently though, if it rains, the roof isn't all that waterproof at all, so having a tarp or something to throw over you to keep your bag dry is a good idea. It will keep out the wind though.

Gorgeous area too... one of my favorite sections of the PCT that I've hiked so far.
    Don't take anything I say seriously... I certainly don't.

Default Lost Pond -- still gone?

I realize this is a bit late but does anyone know what the current status of Lost Pond Shelter is? I'm hiking that section of the Long Trail in Vermont this weekend and was planning on staying there. I had forgotten that it burned down again. Is it still gone or did they rebuild it?

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast
++ New Posts ++