WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

nope. it's gone

Quote Originally Posted by generoll View Post
    as a side light, had this (vandalism and burning) occured in Tennessee or one of the other southern, 'bible belt' states, I have to wonder if the posters would be so understanding.
    Not that Northern vs Southern thang again? Who's understanding? All vandals need to shot with rock salt.

Bummer.

Actually I guess it doesn't matter all that much since I can hammock camp anywhere. But somehow I feel a little more secure knowing that there's a shelter nearby. No idea why I feel that way as it was only a 3-sided shelter, but there you have it.

Thanks, LW

Quote Originally Posted by JoeHiker View Post
    I realize this is a bit late but does anyone know what the current status of Lost Pond Shelter is? I'm hiking that section of the Long Trail in Vermont this weekend and was planning on staying there. I had forgotten that it burned down again. Is it still gone or did they rebuild it?
    Are you hiking north? Big Branch Shelter is less than 2 miles further - good shelter, good water.

Actually no, I'm heading south. Lost Pond on Thursday Night, then Spruce Peak on Friday night and Goddard on Saturday. I could stop at Big Branch but that will give me another hour to cover on Friday and I don't want to have more than one day in which I'm pushing

I finally just started checking TrailJournals from this year and I see I could have answered my own question without asking it. But apparently people still camp there quite a bit so I'm hoping at least the privy is working.

Mrs Gorp
    Images

JoeHiker,
    Plans to rebuild the shelter began in January 2007, but it's a slooooooooooow process. There is great tenting and hammocking at the site, a privy and a good water source. Lots of trees too. Wear blaze orange! It's bear, archery for deer and racoon huntin' season. Bring ketchup.
    MrsG

Quote Originally Posted by Minerva View Post
    JoeHiker,
    Plans to rebuild the shelter began in January 2007, but it's a slooooooooooow process. There is great tenting and hammocking at the site, a privy and a good water source. Lots of trees too. Wear blaze orange! It's bear, archery for deer and racoon huntin' season. Bring ketchup.
    MrsG
    Seems like GMC could spend the money and man-power in better endeavors.

Possibly but most of the people seem to want the shelters to be there.

JoeHiker,
    MrsG
    I stayed there in 2004 and I liked it. That's why I'm heading back. Unfortunately I don't have anything orange or otherwise flourescent. Hope I don't get shot.

Registered User hammock engineer's Avatar

I took a poo in the privy lasty month or so. The plumbing still works. Parts of the old shelter are still stacked up for use as wirefood. So if you want a campfire, there are more than enough big logs. Good looking campsite.

Quote Originally Posted by JoeHiker View Post
    Actually no, I'm heading south. Lost Pond on Thursday Night, then Spruce Peak on Friday night and Goddard on Saturday. I could stop at Big Branch but that will give me another hour to cover on Friday and I don't want to have more than one day in which I'm pushing

I finally just started checking TrailJournals from this year and I see I could have answered my own question without asking it. But apparently people still camp there quite a bit so I'm hoping at least the privy is working.
    I was just up at Baker Peak and Griffith Lake last week and Little Rock Pond yesterday. If you are going south it's really not that far to get to Peru shelter on easy trail and the shelter was in good shape along with the adjoining tent platform.

Quote Originally Posted by oruoja View Post
    I was just up at Baker Peak and Griffith Lake last week and Little Rock Pond yesterday. If you are going south it's really not that far to get to Peru shelter on easy trail and the shelter was in good shape along with the adjoining tent platform.
    Hiking SOBO, I would not describe the descent down Baker Peak as "easy trail" with its steep, pointed, occasionally loose angled rocks. It's the kind of slope that's not hard to ascend NOBO but you have to be careful and take it slow going down.

Otherwise I agree Lost Pond side trail to Peru Peak shelter is fairly easy. I also stayed in Peru Peak shelter and liked it. One advantage is good water close by.

JoeHiker,
    MrsG
    Okay, I'll bite.
    What's the ketchup for?
    I'll probably regret asking ...

Quote Originally Posted by Jan LiteShoe View Post
    Okay, I'll bite.
    What's the ketchup for?
    I'll probably regret asking ...
    JoeHiker,
    MrsG
    I like ketchup on my racoon but I won't eat it without a bun and onions.

Mrs Gorp
    Images

Default Condiments

Condiments for JanL's Long Trail Game Cookbook:

Ketchup for the grilled coon burgers
    A-1 sauce for the bear stew
    Creole Seasoning for the deer steaks

Garlic, Salt and Pepper are always good too.

Condiments for JanL's Long Trail Game Cookbook:

Ketchup for the grilled coon burgers
    A-1 sauce for the bear stew
    Creole Seasoning for the deer steaks

Garlic, Salt and Pepper are always good too.
    What?!!!
    No Grey Poupon?
    Sacre Bleu!

Well I hammocked there. I felt bad because there was a couple headed there to tent who I passed on the trail. When they saw me set up there... well I guess there weren't too many places to tent so they went on down the trail and tented there.

Anyway I really like this site. Great stream very nearby. I do hope they rebuild the shelter eventually. Did they ever figure out who burned it down and if it was intentional?

Images

Minerva & others,

Is there a website stating the different hunting seasons in Vermont?

www.vtfishandwildlife.com
    click on hunting and trapping then seasons and dates

Quote Originally Posted by L. Wolf View Post
    www.vtfishandwildlife.com
    click on hunting and trapping then seasons and dates
    I looked, but it doesn't say when shelter hunting is in season or when you can use torches versus explosives.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast
++ New Posts ++