WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast
    Mrs Gorp
    Images

Cool Lost Pond Shelter Burnt Down AGAIN!

Just got word that Lost Pond was recently burnt to the ground...AGAIN ...the second time in three years . "Shelter rats" should plan accordingly IOW, Peru Peak Shelter to the south 4.7 miles or Big Branch Shelter to the north 1.7 miles....MrsG

arsonists or what?

Mrs Gorp
    Images

Wolf,
    I don't know what happened, except it's now a charcoal site. "An investigation in underway" is all I know....tentsites are still available...I don't think they torched the privy
    MG

Damn shelter mice probably chewed through the wiring again Open season on green mtn mice or who/whatever is responsible

Thru-hiked in '01. Spent the night at Lost Pond Shelter. It burns down soon after.
    Thru-hiked in '06. Spent the night at Lost Pond Shelter. It burns down soon after.
    (Nearly) Thru-hiked in '99. Did not stay at Lost Pond Shelter. It does burn down, but not soon after (see '01).

Maybe I am a walking curse? Should I thru-hike again, I'll not stay there for the sake of the GMC!
    "I too am not a bit untamed, I too am untranslatable,
    I sound my barbaric yawp over the roofs of the world." - W. W.

obligatory website link

Images

Lone Wolf would probably request that you stay in all of them. Every one knows how fond of shelters he is
    I love the smell of esbit in the morning!

Journal Entries
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by Lugnut View Post
    Lone Wolf would probably request that you stay in all of them. Every one knows how fond of shelters he is
    I hear tell throught the grapevine that might even be will to build one behind his house for Trail Days.............

Quote Originally Posted by Minerva View Post
    Just got word that Lost Pond was recently burnt to the ground...AGAIN ...the second time in three years . "Shelter rats" should plan accordingly IOW, Peru Peak Shelter to the south 4.7 miles or Big Branch Shelter to the north 1.7 miles....MrsG
    On second thought, this is a good thing. 1 down, 100 something to go.

Quote Originally Posted by The Only Wanderer View Post
    I hear tell throught the grapevine that might even be will to build one behind his house for Trail Days.............
    Pretty unfriggin likely.

Default I never see this solution mentioned for replacing shelters that arsonists target...

Why not rebuild them with stone? A stone shelter (there are many on the AT now, so there's no acceptability issue) is virtually fireproof. It would take heavy equipment or explosives for one major to seriously damage a stone shelter, which they're not likely to have on the AT.

well when i think of stone shelters i think of snakes, maybe theres no connection...

stone shelters are a big promblem to remove if the trail is relocated

Hauling or gathering enough stone to build a shelter doesn't sound like much fun. Are you volunteering MS?

Default Remove, or relocate?

Quote Originally Posted by The Snowman View Post
    stone shelters are a big promblem to remove if the trail is relocated
    I don't see what major problem a shelter no longer near enough to the AT to be useful to AT hikers presents. Now, if your point is that a stone shelter is hard to move, then, yes, that's a valid issue. However, not many AT shelters have the problem of periodic destruction by arson. This is an unusual problem meriting unusual solutions. Anyway, whether that section of trail is going to be reloed anytime soon should be information known by the local club.

Frieden and Ed - World Explorer Team frieden's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by woodsy View Post
    Damn shelter mice probably chewed through the wiring again Open season on green mtn mice or who/whatever is responsible
    Wiring??? Wiring for what? Are there any shelters with wiring?

Quote Originally Posted by frieden View Post
    Wiring??? Wiring for what? Are there any shelters with wiring?
    Must be Maine humor...

The Jerry Cabin Shelter had a phone, but it looked to be wireless. It didn't work either!

Default wiring in shelters?

[quote=Sly;279901]Must be Maine humor...

Maine humor? Good call Sly Not humorous that the shelter burned though for those that use them. Someone(s) has a real problem with this particular shelter being where it is according to the history of it .
    WALK ON

Registered User Frolicking Dinosaurs's Avatar
    Images

I'm not familiar with the location of this shelter - is it near a road crossing or other relatively short trail access? I know many shelters near road crossings get trashed and vandalized.

Since there appears to be another shelter only 1.7 miles north away, maybe this shelter shold not be replaced????

Quote Originally Posted by Frolicking Dinosaurs View Post
    I'm not familiar with the location of this shelter - is it near a road crossing or other relatively short trail access? I know many shelters near road crossings get trashed and vandalized.

Since there appears to be another shelter only 1.7 miles north away, maybe this shelter shold not be replaced????
    It's 3 miles from a road. Don't know about side trails. Theres 3 shelters within a mile there. Lost Pond, Old Job and Big Branch.

I have heard of tons of problems with the locals in that area of Vermont. When I was finishing up my thru-hike, I had to go back to do this section of VT and stayed at Lost Pond Shelter. It was clean and in great condition.

However, the next day (this is probably around October 2nd) it was pouring rain and cold. I got to Governor Clement Shelter (19 miles) around 4pm and set up in the shelter. After getting settled in my sleeping bag, a woman from the GMC showed up at the shelter and told me that it is definitely not wise to stay there because someone had been beaten up there a few nights earlier and there was a history of unsafe events at the shelter. I didn't see that in my Wingfoot book til after the fact! I hauled ass up to Cooper Lodge as fast as I could!

In addition, I had heard that at the road crossing north of Lost Pond Shelter there had been a terrible incident of vandalism in which the windows of several cars were smashed and the cars were rolled down a hill.

I'm sure whatever happened to Lost Pond Shelter is definitely related to some of the other events that have happened recently.

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast
++ New Posts ++