WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Thread: ursack

Default ursack

Has anyone out there had any experience with an ursack? I hear these stories of how bad the mice are in the shelters and this bag is suppose to keep them out as well.
    Any input on these bags will be appreciated.
    They are pretty pricey but if they work they may be worth it.

Default just use a stuff sack

In every single shelter there are ropes hanging down with a stick tied to the bottom. Just above the stick the rope is threaded through a tuna can. Just hang your food on these or ina tree away from the shelter and you won't have any problems. I never had a mouse get into my food.
    Grimace ME->GA '01
    JMT '03

Kilted Thru-Hiker AT'04, PCT'06, CDT'07 Haiku's Avatar

I just ordered an Ursack because I'm hiking the John Muir Trail this summer. I might bring it with me on the AT as well as "extra protection" but even empty it weights 4oz. I'll probably just stick with silnylon where the bears aren't an issue.

Haiku.

LT '79; AT '73-'14 in sections; Donating Member Kerosene's Avatar
    Images

I purchased an Ursack last year (I weigh it at 5 oz). While I'm not entirely convinced that it would stand up to a determined bear, it is certainly sufficient to keep out a mouse. I've had enough problems with rodents, even under suspended tuna cans, that I think it's worth the extra 3-4 ounces. Plus, it won't rip if you suspend from a tree. I just purchased the smell-proof plastic bags to line the bag with (supposedly they can keep an animal from picking up any of the food's scent), but I have no practical experience with these yet (plus they're expensive).
    GA←↕→ME: 1973 to 2014

Default ursack

I understand these bags are not waterproof. So you need to line it with a plastic one. Someone says they loose there toughness after many months. Did you find that with yours, Kerosene?

LT '79; AT '73-'14 in sections; Donating Member Kerosene's Avatar
    Images

Angie:

No evidence of "losing toughness", but I've only used it for a total of 3 hiking weeks over the past 3 years (I'm a long-term section hiker). I've always treated the bag as relatively waterproof, but I'm typically packing all food items in plastic anyway.
    GA←↕→ME: 1973 to 2014

I have used an ursack a lot over the last two years and love it.

waterproof? no...I use ziplocks

loss of toughness? mine has lost its stiffness but I dont see it as any weaker. The material is UV sensitive so keep it out of sunlight as much as possible. (older yellow)

The ursack isnt meant to be attacked hours on end by a hungry bear, its just meant to delay the bear enough for you to scare it off.

The ursack works very well against small critters but I hear wolves and coyotes can get thru it because of their teeth.

The ursack doesnt weigh anymore then a hanging rope and since all you need do is tie it to a sturdy tree I find it a lot more convenient to use.Compared to a canister it is a lot cheaper then most and a lot lighter.

++ New Posts ++