WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Default Watauga Dam Road trailhead?

Is the trailhead at Watauga Dam Road easy to find? Paved road? Parking? Directions?

It's a paved road. Parking for how long?

Default Just having someone meet me there to pick me up.

Not overnight parking.

Quote Originally Posted by L. Wolf View Post
    It's a paved road. Parking for how long?
    I was there with you. And Indy. 5/12/90. That was just after we blew off Pond Mountain. We got there by roadwalk, from Laurel Falls. It was the beginning of the end, for me. Thanks, buddy . You and Indy found some sassafras growing near the shelter, and Indy made a batch of sassafras tea in his wok.

Hey Rafe. How the hell are ye? I'm still stirrin' up the poo here.

Jogged your memory, have I? I have some photos of you and the gang... contact me off-line and I'll post them or email them to you. We had a heck of a little party the night before, near Laurel Falls...

I'm doing fine. Hoping to finish this $&#@ trail some day. It could even be 2007 or 2008. Less than 600 miles to go. It's been a long strange trip, but it still gives me a serious kick. Here's some pix from this years' section...

http://www.terrapinphoto.com/cpg143/thumbnails.php?album=6

and some pix from '90 and the years between..

http://www.terrapinphoto.com/Appalachian%20Trail0.html

Is the trailhead at Watauga Dam Road easy to find? Paved road? Parking? Directions?
    Where are you coming from JTDawg ? Chances are you will go thru Elizabethton to get there. In that case you would go to where 19E is and go towards Roan Mtn. NOT Bluff City or Bristol ! At the first redlight there is probly still a small sign that says Watauga Dam something or other (would be road to left), and there is another more direct approach also on the left just a ways farther just after crossing Doe River which may or may not still have a Watauga Dam Road sign there, but that will take you out and around to the road to the dam (there are two by the way and you are looking for the second and larger one ). The trail crosses right before you get to the parking lot of the visitor center. People park trucks and boat trailers there overnight all the time, not sure about a gate but is patrolled,,,but it is Carter County so park at your own risk,, parking at trailhead is a no no.Yes it is all paved and very nice.If you need some help or place to park vehicle Kinkora is an option or contact me. AT hikers are the only people allowed to cross the dam as the trail goes right over it. Hope you have a great hike.

RAT

++ New Posts ++