WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

The wife, daughter (16 y/o) and I are just starting to get into hiking. This summer we started doing some day trips to the local state parks in our area (Franklin County PA) and a couple of walks over smaller sections of the AT. We have been enjoying the day trips, but now the wife and daughter want to do an overnight trip. While the wife and I were previously in the military many moons ago, all of our recent camping was in an RV, so this is still fairly new territory for us. We have a packable 3 person tent, and other various bits of gear. We are looking to pick up some frame packs and a packable hiking stove.

We are considering our first overnight to be on the walk from Caledonia State part to Pine Grove. This is about a 17 mile walk, we would stop overnight at Birch Run. We are planning on taking the tent just in case the shelter is occupied (plus the wife and daughter want to stay in the tent). Baby steps at first I guess. Due to obligations and the Mother Earth news expo at 7 springs resort, we are looking at making the overnight in October.

Question : Is there a fire pit or fire ring at the Birch Run shelter? I am not real big on a campfire myself, but the wife and daughter are hung up on it (the romance of the outdoors I guess). I told them I wasn’t sure if they were allowed in the state forest or at the shelters. Some reading above about a fire destroying a shelter makes me think it might be ill-advised.

We are hoping this turns into a decent hobby for us. Any advice or info is appreciated.

Thanks,
    OJ

Yes there is a fire ring at the Birch Run Shelter, However here is the language of the state forest regulations
    § 21.62. Open fires.
    (a) Subject to the prohibition in subsection (b), small campfires are permitted only where adequate precautions are taken to prevent the spread of fire into the forest. All other fires are prohibited. Campfires shall be attended at all times.
    (b) Open fires are prohibited when the forest-fire danger is determined by the District Forester to be High, Very High or Extreme and from March 1 through May 25 and from October 1 through December 1 without authorization from the District Forester or a designee. This prohibition does not apply to small self-contained camp stoves when used in a safe manner.
    (c) A person causing a wildfire, in addition to possible criminal penalty, is liable for all damages, costs of extinction and fines.

Birch Run shelter is a nice place, great water source, awesome campsites and it also has one of the best privies on the entire AT it even has a mirror inside it, but I have never noticed or seen any kind of Memorials of the two Murdered Females between the old and new shelter sites.

Thanks for the info. I read the posts on the murdered females, I will have to do some research on this. My wife and daughter might be freaked out by this though.

OJ

The murder of Rebbeca Wright and the shooting of Claudia Brenner did not happen at the Birch Run Shelter it happened about 2 1/2 miles south on the Rocky Knob Trail. There have been no other incidents in that area since 1988. I think you all will be fine....

Still a great shelter, good water, multiple hanging poles (one assumes for for rodents than bahrs)

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
++ New Posts ++