WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Taking A Watch

Default Taking A Watch

I'm considering getting a watch to take on the trail. I've almost never wear a watch, but here's why i'm thinking about it now. I don't want to know the time, in fact I DON'T want to know the time. I want an altimeter though. It's dead useful and sometime just fun. But I'm already taking a pocketmail e-mail device for journal keeping (maybe), and a digital camera. I don't want too many gadgets. Thoughts?
    http://joshuamlee.com Photography

--Signor Felice

I've thought about buying an altimeter watch. And they're pretty cheap now, too. But then I think, maybe it's best not to know. I've hiked this far without one. They're pretty fat, and I don't like fat watches.

GAVA '04; GAME '05
    Images

If that's all you want a watch for, Wingfoot's book does have altitudes on it.

Registered User hammock engineer's Avatar

I got an altitude watch from SAC. They have some here and there for good deals.

I never wear a watch when I am not hiking. I always take a watch hiking with me. I don't like hiking in the dark. Especailly when it is cold out. Having the watch helps me plan accordingly to have my shelter setup and ready by dark.

It might be helpful knowing the day and time to know when/if stores and PO's are open.

2007 hopeful

I dont usually wear a watch. However I got one for my hike for the reason hammock engineer pointed out. Knowing if your gonna make POs or stores before they close. I dont plan on wearing it but just having it strapped on my pack.

Images

A nice watch by Suunto. Pricy but nice.

http://www.backcountry.com/store/SUN...ml?id=Cjb3hwYT

2005 Camino de santiago

Default Why Altimeter?

Quote Originally Posted by MrHappy View Post
    I'm considering getting a watch to take on the trail. I've almost never wear a watch, but here's why i'm thinking about it now. I don't want to know the time, in fact I DON'T want to know the time. I want an altimeter though. It's dead useful and sometime just fun. But I'm already taking a pocketmail e-mail device for journal keeping (maybe), and a digital camera. I don't want too many gadgets. Thoughts?
    I can see a need for a watch but why the altimeter? I guess you could periodically calibrate it from the peaks of some sites where you know the elevation on the AT but what useful purpose will it serve otherwise since you will not be navigating by compass & topo?

You can get a Timex, sans compass, for $99-

http://www.dickssportinggoods.com/pr...Id=18620938671

Since the AT is so well marked you may not need it all that much, but they're nice to have. I got the Suunto X-Lander (hard case compared to the Vector) to hike the CDT and used its features every day. Now I don't hike without it.

Geezer

Quote Originally Posted by squivens View Post
    I dont usually wear a watch. However I got one for my hike for the reason hammock engineer pointed out. Knowing if your gonna make POs or stores before they close. I dont plan on wearing it but just having it strapped on my pack.
    That's what I do (strap it on my pack). I put it in a loop in my sternum strap. On long steady ascents I play games with it, checking to see how long it took to climb 300 feet, or try to guess the current elevaton (how far I've climbed since I last looked).

It also has a temperature function. It's pretty cool at night to know just how cool it is. This is another reason for hanging a watch off your pack. When I wear my watch on my wrist, the temperature always reads in the nineties

Some people hate gadgets on the trail, and hike to get away from them. Expect some static. But we all hike for our own reasons. I like toys, and one of my reasons for being in the woods is to play with them. At varying times I carry a small word processor, a GPS, a digital voice recorder, a digital camera, the above mentioned watch/altimeter/thermometer, and a cell phone. I have yet to carry them all at once, though. I guess even I have my limits...
    Frosty

Quote Originally Posted by highway View Post
    I can see a need for a watch but why the altimeter? I guess you could periodically calibrate it from the peaks of some sites where you know the elevation on the AT but what useful purpose will it serve otherwise since you will not be navigating by compass & topo?
    There's a lot of other places you can calibrate it, the Companion and Handbook have elevations. But I agree it's mostly only a toy on the AT.

Default Zipper pull watch and flashlight

I don't like wearing a watch, so I use a zipper pull watch that doubles as a backup light. I just attach it to the outside of my pack. I.e. something like:

http://www.gearlog.com/2006/06/summe...r_pull_wat.php

I wear a watch as a navagation device. If you have a idea how fast you're going you should be able to figure out where you sould be.
    Be who you are and say what you feel. Those who mind don’t matter, and those that matter don’t mind. - Dr. Seuss<?xml:namespace prefix = o ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:office:office" /><o:p></o:p>

Default Wearing a watch?

I wore a watch, and it was interesting how many people who didn't have one asked me for the time.

I used a watch too, for navigation, a cheap plastic Casio...

Images

I only wear a watch when hiking. I started wearing one because I got tired of asking people what time it was esp when I was freezer bag cooking.
    I bought a cheapo Timex watch from Wal-Mart for $10. So far it has lasted 3 yrs
    Conquest: It is not the Mountain we conquer but Ourselves

In addition to those times when you may be racing to town or the Post Office, there are other things a watch is good for.

I like to get an early start, and I WANT to know if it's quarter to seven in the morning or quarter to eight. Or if I wake up in the middle of the night (which I do a lot), I want to know if it's three thirty or four thirty. If it's closer to five, I might just pack up and get moving at first light; if it's earlier, I'll go back to sleep.

A watch is also useful for planning your hiking/mileage. If I'm at a shelter or location and I'm wondering whether or not to continue til the next shelter, knowing what time it is will help me guesstimate my arrival at the next place.....there are places where I definitely DON'T want to hike in the dark, and having a good idea of when sunset is due can come in very handy.

And lastly, there are times when I'm tired, maybe it's the end of the day, and I'll tell myself, OK, just half an hour (or whatever) more, or maybe if it's getting on the end of the day, I'll tell myself, "You have forty minutes tioo find a good campsite or that's it, day's over!"

And finally, if you know your approximate hiking speed, a watch will be a great help in figuring out how long it'll take you to cover a certain stretch of trail, what time it'll be when you finish, etc. There actually are times when you want to be in a certain place at a certain time (to meet a friend, get a shuttle ride, etc.) so having a watch will let you know whether or not you are "on schedule", ahead of it, need to pick up the pace, etc.

In short, I've always found a watch very handy out there.

And finally, if you know your approximate hiking speed, a watch will be a great help in figuring out how long it'll take you to cover a certain stretch of trail
    AKA "dead reckoning"

A watch with an altimeter helps to calculate climbing times as Frosty mentions. You can get a better understanding of your hiking pace if you know how long it takes to climb say 500 or 1000 ft.

If you are on a trail, knowing elevation gives can give a good fix on your location, especially if you are on say on a mountain. It is less useful if the terrain is rolling or just plain flat.
    "Sleepy alligator in the noonday sun
    Sleepin by the river just like he usually done
    Call for his whisky
    He can call for his tea
    Call all he wanta but he can't call me..."
    Robert Hunter & Ron McKernan

Whiteblaze.net User Agreement.

MrHappy,
    A watch is a really good idea. It can make your life on the trail simpler and safer. IMHO, simpler watches are better.
    * On cloudy days, it can help you make camp in good time instead of being caught by early dark.
    * If it has a day/date function, it can help you schedule town/post office visits, and avoid getting to the PO after if closes on Saturday.
    * If you are trying to make miles, an early start is helpful, so an alarm is not a bad idea (if you can stand having your life that regulated).

Geezer

Quote Originally Posted by Jack Tarlin View Post
    if I wake up in the middle of the night (which I do a lot), I want to know if it's three thirty or four thirty. If it's closer to five, I might just pack up and get moving at first light; if it's earlier, I'll go back to sleep.
    I do this a lot, also.
    Frosty

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
++ New Posts ++