WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 1 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 ... LastLast

Default Irrational Behavior

I'm always mindful of, and thankful for, my safety and well-being in the woods. Problem is, I don't know who to thank. Being an atheist, thanking g*d just won't do. Still, I want a way to express my thanks... and appreciation for this wonderful trail.

Last few years I've acquired this odd habit. At least once a day on the AT, I kiss a blaze. Well, not quite exactly; I make a little fake-kiss at my fingertips and then touch a blaze. This sometimes happens after a moment of unease. It's always a relief to see a fresh blaze, especially then.

So I'm weird. Anyone else have similar irrational habits on the trail -- that they're willing to confess?

Every time I see a blue-blaze my feet go that way.

Musta notta gotta lotta sleep last night. Heater's Avatar
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by terrapin_too View Post
    I'm always mindful of, and thankful for, my safety and well-being in the woods. Problem is, I don't know who to thank. Being an atheist, thanking g*d just won't do. Still, I want a way to express my thanks... and appreciation for this wonderful trail.

Last few years I've acquired this odd habit. At least once a day on the AT, I kiss a blaze. Well, not quite exactly; I make a little fake-kiss at my fingertips and then touch a blaze. This sometimes happens after a moment of unease. It's always a relief to see a fresh blaze, especially then.

So I'm weird. Anyone else have similar irrational habits on the trail -- that they're willing to confess?
    Thank "goodness". Goodness relates to all.

Quote Originally Posted by L. Wolf View Post
    Every time I see a blue-blaze my feet go that way.
    Some yellow blazes as well. BTW, didja know that guy that drove us into Damascus in '90 was murdered? I sent him a card a year or two after our hike... and the reply was a copy of his obit. I kid you not.

Journal Entries

Well, it's not irrational, but I periodically make a donation to: www.matc.org
    or www.matlt,org or http://www.appalachiantrail.org

Weary
    Last edited by weary; 12-12-2006 at 12:12. Reason: wrong link

Quote Originally Posted by weary View Post
    Well, it's not irrational, but I periodically make a donation to: www.matc.org
    or www.matlt,org or www.atc.org

Weary

Weary, you're a newsman. Read carefully. I asked for irrational behavior.

Some yellow blazes as well. BTW, didja know that guy that drove us into Damascus in '90 was murdered? I sent him a card a year or two after our hike... and the reply was a copy of his obit. I kid you not.
    Big Tom was driving and Willie, the one murdered was the passenger. Very sad. Willie was a great guy. Was in the wrong place, wrong time. I still see Big Tom a lot. Still lives near the trail crossing.

Formerly CoralRives
    Images

I thank "The Source". The Source of all the Love and Energy surrounding me.
    "Be good and you will be lonesome" M. Twain

There is a road, no simple highway,
    Between the dawn and the dark of night,
    And if you go no one may follow,
    That path is for your steps alone

Journal Entries

Weary, you're a newsman. Read carefully. I asked for irrational behavior.
    Read carefully. I often don't answer questions people ask. I just say things that strike me as useful. We are facing a one time chance to create buffers for the narrow trail corridor in what most hikers think of and praise as the Maine wilderness.

The land is on the market. It will be sold to either trail and conservation interests or to developers. The choice is ours. I know what the irrational choice is. From time to time I suggest rational alternatives, so when the frames for the condos rise, irrational as that hope is, I'll at least feel that I've done what I could.

Weary www.matlt.org
    Last edited by weary; 12-12-2006 at 12:54.

Quote Originally Posted by L. Wolf View Post
    Big Tom was driving and Willie, the one murdered was the passenger. Very sad. Willie was a great guy. Was in the wrong place, wrong time. I still see Big Tom a lot. Still lives near the trail crossing.

Duh. [Slaps forehead.] I forgot you live in Damascus these daze. Of course you knew... but it still came as a shock to me.

Speaking of other long-lost characters from bygone days... whatever became of Carol Moore (Lagunatic?) Of all the folks I'd like to thank.... she's high on my list, and will always remain so.

Quote Originally Posted by weary View Post
    Read carefully. I often don't answer questions people ask. I just say things that strike me as useful. We are facing a one time chance to create buffers for the narrow trail corridor in what most hikers think of and praise as the Maine wilderness.
    [Slaps forehead. Again.] Just made a donation, Weary. Least I could do for impugning your reading skills.

I still feel like kissing a blaze today...

Images

Well, I don't know if this qualifies as "irrational" (I sort of think it is) but when I leave the AT itself even to a shelter, I usually make a note in my mind of the actual spot where I turned off (as in the precise place my foot was last actually "on" the AT) and when I return, I'm careful to start up again from that point. I want to be able to say to myself, when I finally get to Katahdin, that I hiked "every foot" of the AT. It's been my dream since 1965, so I don't want to miss even one inch of it. Not a bragging thing (certainly esp since I haven't finished) but just a personal thing.

The Weasel
    "Thank God! there is always a Land of Beyond, For us who are true to the trail..." --- Robert Service

Images

That's a good one. I like it!
    "Don't worry...even if things end up a bit too heavy...we'll all float on... all right."
    - Modest Mouse

Quote Originally Posted by The Weasel View Post
    I want to be able to say to myself, when I finally get to Katahdin, that I hiked "every foot" of the AT.
    Yeah, I've heard about folks like you . Have you been to Kirkridge shelter yet? It has separate NOBO and SOBO approach paths, which pleased me greatly. But I guess that wouldn't work for you.

But honestly, is it even possible to cover "every foot" of the AT? What happens when there's a blowdown? Oops! Ya missed a few feet!

And when you cross a stream or meadow or a rock pile, are you sure you were on the trail the whole way across? [Most of times when the AT crosses a meadow, I get lost.]

Way I figure it, I've done enough blue-blazes and non-AT hikes to make up for my minor transgressions. Not to mention those bits of the AT I've done multiple times, wrong turns, etc and ad. nauseum.

Can I get brownie points for never having slackpacked?

Journal Entries
    Images

Default irrational behavior

I hate to hear you are an atheist! It seems that being on a place such as the ATone should see God in everything there. It is impossible for me to go to places like the AT (which I have not been on but will this spring) without thanking the creator of heaven and earth. I know that being in southwest Colorado was one of the most incredilbe affirmations of God's existence. The other thing to remember is Jesus is the true and only way to God and heaven.
    BEAS

Quote Originally Posted by beas View Post
    I hate to hear you are an atheist!
    Please don't weep for me. You can read the hiking sermon I gave on another thread. [Amazing Feats on the Trail.]

I have one or two religions... the GD, and the AT.

The universe is amazing enough without a g*d to explain it all.

Formerly CoralRives
    Images

The other thing to remember is Jesus is the true and only way to God and heaven.
    BEAS

I'm glad you have your strong beliefs, thats a good thing, please don't preach here unless someone asks you to. Thanks!
    "Be good and you will be lonesome" M. Twain

There is a road, no simple highway,
    Between the dawn and the dark of night,
    And if you go no one may follow,
    That path is for your steps alone

Quote Originally Posted by coralrives View Post
    I'm glad you have your strong beliefs, thats a good thing, please don't preach here unless someone asks you to. Thanks!
    Well he did say Irrational behavior...

*ducks*

The other thing to remember is Jesus is the true and only way to God and heaven.
    Kinda hard to buy into that line of hooey when you don't believe in any of it in the first place.
    Don't take anything I say seriously... I certainly don't.

Images

.....as long as God believes in you, then you're alright. My irrational behavior is I start crying everytime I'm over 4000' on a ridge or mountaintop with perfect visability.

Page 1 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 ... LastLast
++ New Posts ++