WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Images

Default Condition of AT in Shenandoah??

I will be entering the park in two days, have only the knowledge that there was a sever icestorm two weeks ago. The website only has info on skyline drive (mostly closed). Does anybody have firsthand info on if the trail is passable?
    Thanks
    Early Bird ME -> GA

Search the members list for Stumpknocker and e-mail him. He walked thru there during or after the storm can't remember which.

or call 540-999-3500 for any park info.

PATC has been doing some considerable work clearing the AT but appears to lack enough people to swamp for the chainsawyers - in any case I would expect to hike Skyline Drive cause a fair bit of the AT is still probably buried in blowdown. Call PATC if you want better info - they will know what parts are still blocked : http://www.patc.net/about/contact.html

Images

i was up near gravel springs (north end of snp) a couple of days after the storm. there was definitely alot of damage, many large trees are branchless and many large trees are no more. that said, i think the trail was passable, but it'll take you considerably longer to do so.

what HOI said a/b walking the drive is probably your best bet.
    Last edited by the goat; 12-12-2006 at 18:24.
    "The spirit of resistance to government is so valuable on certain occasions, that I wish it always to be kept alive." -TJ

Default Snp

Hello,

I went hiking yesterday on the AT in the Hightop Mtn area near Hwy 33. The Drive is closed and there are mutiple limbs and blowdowns along the AT and Drive. Many crews are working to clear the Drive and the AT.

The Ranger at Hwy 33 was discouraging any travel thru the Park.

Jim

Default Shenandoah

Quote Originally Posted by firemountain View Post
    I will be entering the park in two days, have only the knowledge that there was a sever icestorm two weeks ago. The website only has info on skyline drive (mostly closed). Does anybody have firsthand info on if the trail is passable?
    Thanks
    Early Bird ME -> GA
    I was told by a park ranger to stay to the road and pitch my tent anywhere along side of the road. I walked a mile on the Trail near Big Meadows that made Mahoosic Notch seem easy....well, Mahoosic Notch is easy, but you get my drift. When I went through, there was only 20 miles of road open. I did see a couple maintainers on the Trail in an area that wasn't hit as hard by the ice.

I also got into a little poison ivy working my way through some of the downed trees.

South of Shenandoah was in pretty good shape in most places.

Nothing is open now....no waysides or campstores.
    Stumpknocker
    Appalachian Trail is 35.9% complete.

A few days after the ice storm, there was a list of clear trails at the Thornton Gap Entry Gate (U.S. Highway #211). Few trails were mentioned, along with about three miles of the AT. The telephone number there is 540 / 999 - 3122.

The obstacle wasn’t large trees blown down, but sharp broken-off branches, broken-down saplings, and the vines of briars entwining them. About every ten feet you had to cross over, under, or around something and were readily ensnared. Fairly tedious going; fun becomes a challenge.

Day hikers should realize, the park will close at 5:30 pm daily until early January (maybe the 7th).

If you go, please report back on the trail conditions where you went.
    “The earth does not belong to man, man belongs to earth. ...
    Man did not weave the web of life, he is merely a strand in it.
    Whatever he does to the web, he does to himself.”

Northbound section hiker, GA --> Eastern NY

I hiked from Jewell Hollow Overlook (between Stony Man and Mary's Rock) to the Neighbor Mtn. trail (north of Pass Mtn) this past Sunday, and the trail was completely clear (about 9.5 miles). The previous Saturday, I went from the Skyland south entrance to Jewell Hollow. There were a few blowdowns between the two Skyland entrance roads, but that wasn't a big deal. The worst part was an approx. 1/2 mile stretch south of the Crusher Ridge trail. There were numerous blowdowns; in a few spots you have to be careful not to lose the trail when going around them. Before and after that area, the trail was basically clear. All in all, it wasn't as dire as the ranger warned. But that's only 15-16 miles that I've seen since the storm.

Also, for dayhikers, the park closes at 5, I believe, not 5:30.

++ New Posts ++