WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Talking Self-sealing butane canisters

For the class of "2006" Congradulations on your finishing your "Thru", a trip of a life time.

Now, if you used a canister stove, did you have any trouble finding fuel canisters?

I need to cut pack-weight and need to replace my old & heavy Coleman Peak One.

Billy---

I'm not a member of the Class of '06 but I've used cannister stoves for years.

You won't have a problem getting fuel. You may (repeat may) want to carry a small-sized cannister as a back-up in a few places where the re-supply is limited (like Pennsylvania for example) but you shouldn't have a problem.

If you look in the "Articles" section of Whiteblaze, you'll find a fairly comprehensive article listing many, if not most of the places on or near the Trail that sell cannisters.

Yeah what Jack says. No problem.

Just had a quick look at that article; in addition to the places cited, cannisters are also available in Franklin; Fontana Dam; Gatlinburg; Shenandoah National Park; Delaware Water Gap/Stroudsburg; Lincoln NH (near N. Woodstock). Outfiter in Port Clinton has closed but it's fairly easy to get to Cabela's Sporting Goods in nearby Hamburg. Also, some hostels MAY carry them for sale, tho one can't count on this; they can, however, very frequently be found in Hiker Boxes at hostels, tho it's not always easy to tell how much fuel remains.

Wink

Quote Originally Posted by Jack Tarlin View Post
    Billy---

I'm not a member of the Class of '06 but I've used cannister stoves for years.

You won't have a problem getting fuel. You may (repeat may) want to carry a small-sized cannister as a back-up in a few places where the re-supply is limited (like Pennsylvania for example) but you shouldn't have a problem.

If you look in the "Articles" section of Whiteblaze, you'll find a fairly comprehensive article listing many, if not most of the places on or near the Trail that sell cannisters.
    Jack thanks so much for the reference to the Articles section on canisters, what a great effort! Completely answered my question.

I think I want a MSR Superfly, small, compact, light-weight, and uses most all available canisters!

Anyone have one and/or experience

The journey is the destination eventidecu's Avatar
    Images

I use a snow peak and can't imagin anything else because it's so light and easy and compact . You can even store your lighter in the little hard case that comes with it. IMHO it's alot better than the MSR. The MSR seems alittle more heavy duty but your not putting an iron fry pan on it. Just a little light can of water usally. The Snow Peak has never failed me and I've used all types of canisters with no problems.
    I'm about to pull the trigger on a long walk in the woods myself and was wondering about the availability of canisters. Thanks for the info.

Billyboy---

MSR, without exception, makes fine stuff.

I suggest, however, you check out the SnowPeak Giga.

It weighs 3.25 ounces compared to the Firefly's 4.6; it costs ten dollars less, and is virtually identical to the MSR stove in terms of performance. I believe it also takes up slightly less space when packed.

I've owned one for several years and am extremely happy with it.

The journey is the destination eventidecu's Avatar
    Images

Jack do you have the one with the auto lighter? I got the one without, 10$ cheaper again, was told it didn't work half the time and always had a lighter with me anyway. What kind of wind screen do you use with it. I need to get one, or do I?

Talking Thanls a million

You folks have far exceeded expectatons as far as answers go!

Merry Christmas, Happy New Year, Safe Hiking and God Bless!

1. I have the cheaper one, no autolighter. (Just something extra to break if
    you want my opinion, and since I carry a cigarette lighter anyway, who
    needs the autolighter? In my experience, the more doodads and gadgets
    on a stove, the more stuff there is to break or get lost).

2. They also have a Titanium model, but it doesn't seem worth it to me to
    pay an extra $40.00 to save around two ounces. The steel model is fine.

3. Funny thing. I generally don't use ANY windscreen, as it's not that difficult
    to find a place to cook that's out of the wind. In that I generally only
    operate the stove once a day for a few minutes, I don't think carrying a
    screen is that important, as least as far as saving fuel.

++ New Posts ++