WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Default Deal done - Katahdin Lake added tp BSP.

Deal completed, Katahdin Lake now part of Baxter State Park

http://www.boston.com/news/local/mai...er_state_park/

December 15, 2006

MILLINOCKET, Maine --A 4,000-acre parcel that includes Katahdin Lake has been added to Baxter State Park, fulfilling its benefactor's vision and providing the ultimate holiday gift to the people of Maine, Gov. John Baldacci announced Friday.
    The announcement followed completion of the purchase Thursday by the Trust for Public Land, which negotiated the deal with Gardner Land Co., led a $14 million private fundraising campaign and transferred the deed to the Baxter State Park Authority.
    The deal also includes an additional 2,000 acres north of the lake that will be open to hunters and snowmobilers and be managed by the Maine Department of Conservation.
    -------
    full story at link
    Teej

"[ATers] represent three percent of our use and about twenty percent of our effort," retired Baxter Park Director Jensen Bissell.

Thanks for the link.

You are THE SOURCE for info about about BSP. Glad you're still around, although after the krap thrown your way last week no one would have blamed you if you wern't.

I think this happened because I gave $50 to Weary's charity the other day.

Sorry, I forgot to add the smileys (max of four allowed)

Thanks Max, and Terrapin too! The donation made to MATC's landtrust that Weary often reminds us about didn't go to this purchase, but the good karma from supporting the MATC Land Trust sure had to help! I was on the fence regarding adding the purchase to the Park. Gov Baxter only considered adding the area once, to the best of my knowledge, and never went back to it. I donated because the upside of adding this land to the Park is that the protecting body is the strongest it can be. Time for new maps and an IAT re-route!
    Teej

"[ATers] represent three percent of our use and about twenty percent of our effort," retired Baxter Park Director Jensen Bissell.

++ New Posts ++