WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Default Winter expeditions and comedy, NE style

Any of ya'll with a sense of winter hiking humor might find some entertainment here:http://www.haeadventure.com/index.htm
    These guys are intrepid Northeast Winter AT explorers with a zest for liquor, language and comedy not to mention self induced hardships. Waaay too funny.click on The Hikes for a good laugh.
    One or two of the guys were mid 80's AT thru hikers.
    WALK ON

Have a haebar and enjoy. I really enjoyed that site, Woodsy. These guys crack me up.

Default Never know what the cat's gonna drag in

Quote Originally Posted by terrapin_too View Post
    Have a haebar and enjoy. I really enjoyed that site, Woodsy. These guys crack me up.
    Yeah, me too. gotta bookmark HAE for the DEAD of winter and more laughs.

I especially like the story of the Bigelow STEP , told as though they were on the HILLARY STEP, Mt Everest
    WALK ON

I wouldn't be surprised if I've run across one or more of these guys. They're all from my neck of the woods and they seem to be hi-tech guys -- ie., the kind that worked as engineers for DEC and Wang and BBN back in the '80s. Serious hiker trash.

usually confused but never lost Fannypack's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by woodsy View Post
    Any of ya'll with a sense of winter hiking humor might find some entertainment here:http://www.haeadventure.com/index.htm
    read their AT87 journal, good read, obviously written/edited after the fact... They mention meeting & drinking beer with Wingfoot (he got stumbling drunk ofter, & blew grits in hostel in DWG) and also said that a hiker bought some "wingnuts" and distributed them as a spoof on Wingfoot's name. Some said that Wingfoot was too serious but Mark and Tim (the HAE crew) said that he was an okay guy. Here is another page: http://www.blistersdicegame.com/

Btw, they mentioned meeting a Lone Wolf in GA... was that our LW aka David Blair??

Quote Originally Posted by Fannypack View Post
    Some said that Wingfoot was too serious but Mark and Tim (the HAE crew) said that he was an okay guy.
    I met WF a number of times on my hike in '90, and he seemed like an OK guy. But somehow at Trailplace he'd turned into a control freak. Strange. Can't explain it.

Getting out as much as I can..which is never enough. :) Mags's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by terrapin_too View Post
    I met WF a number of times on my hike in '90, and he seemed like an OK guy. But somehow at Trailplace he'd turned into a control freak. Strange. Can't explain it.
    Well...many people can be a bit different on-line than in person. Too bad. I met WF once and thought he was pretty chill. Like many of us..probably just needs to go take a hike.
    Paul "Mags" Magnanti
    http://pmags.com
    Twitter: @pmagsco
    Facebook: pmagsblog

The true harvest of my life is intangible...a little stardust caught,a portion of the rainbow I have clutched -Thoreau

Quote Originally Posted by Mags View Post
    Like many of us..probably just needs to go take a hike.
    Now there's a great idea, even a half assed expedition (HAE) is starting to sound goodDoesn't sound like they stop drinking after the fourth drink thoughThey must have a hiking problem caused by alcoholism.
    WALK ON

++ New Posts ++