WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

LT '79; AT '73-'14 in sections; Donating Member Kerosene's Avatar
    Images

Default Beaver Brook Shelter

Pictures and info can be found at: http://www.cs.dartmouth.edu/whites/b_b_shelter.html

Wow, what a trail up to this shelter (sobo). Its straight up next to a flume so everythings wet. Killer view and kudos to whoever maintaines the latrine once a week. Met Squirrel master and Tang there.

Images

The Beaver Brook Trail from Kinsmans Notch to the shelter is natures "stair-master". Two years ago I climbed up to the shelter three afternoons in a row looking for a thru-hiker. After that I was in great shape for summer hiking. Here is a picture I took in June of this year.

http://www.whiteblaze.net/gallery/sh...papass=&sort=1

Default Beaver Brook Shelter

I hiked up there with my husband last year sometime in the first week in August 2004. The shelter itself was fine with great views and camping pads. On the other hand, the privy was full to the brim and hadn't been cared for in what looked like a while.

kudos to whoever maintaines the latrine once a week.

That would be me. Thanks.

Actually I do it in the beginning and end of the season and a Dartmouth student, who also doubles as the Moosilauke Alpine Steward, does it in the summer. In the past he/she got to switch off with the WMNF Ridge Runner but thanks to George W. and his remarkable budgetary decisions there is no WMNF Ridge Runner this summer. So I and the Alpine Steward will be doing it.

If you're on Moosilauke this summer and see the Alpine Steward, give him a pat on the back.

If you're interested in learning how batch bin composting privies work, email me off line. It is wicked fun.

Here's a closup of the sign on the Privy.

There is no "P" in this RIVY.

I always thought that was fairly amusing. I took this picture in 2002. Is the sign still there Julie?

Pb

Is the sign still there Julie?
    It sure is. The theory is that the composting works better when the moisture balance is right, and when people P in there it makes it too wet, necessitating more bark chips, which have to be flown in by helicopter. So we try to conserve by asking people not to P in our Rivy, and by also having a drain hose that goes to a charcoal filter further down the hillside.

I am hopefully going up there Thurs or Fri this week to hook things up for the season. The glaciers have hopefully receded enough by now to get at both the front and back doors of the operation.

Was at Beaver Brook shelter on July 18, privy was almost over flowing, so much for the DOC maintaining things. Beaver Brook trail was also almost impassable as they had removed many of the wooden blocks used to traverse the "trail"

Images

I went up it on July 23, and even with some wooden steps missing, I thought it was a beautifully maintained trail. Just compare it with the climb up S. Kinsman just to the north of it, and you can see such a stark difference...those wooden steps are ingenious, and the rebar and, in one stretch, the crazy rope, made it almost fun to climb. On Kinsman, you're on your own scrambling up rocks with no rope, no steps, no rebar.

So thank you to the trail maintainers for that great climb up the Beaver Brook trail on Moosilauke! It was a true joy! And the view of Franconia Ridge from the Beaver Brook Shelter was an added bonus...

Badges, we don't need no stinkin' badges! Tobit's Avatar

Has anyone stayed at Beaver Brook recently? I'll be there on the August 30th.
    John Tobias (aka JT)

Badges, we don't need no stinkin' badges! Tobit's Avatar

I stayed at the Beaver Brook Shelter this past Saturday. The shelter was full with thru-hikers so I hung my hammock. None of the thru-hikers I met were from WhiteBlaze.

This shelter area was really nice and clean. The privy was half full and very clean as well. However, the bark bucket was empty come Sunday morning when I left. The water source was nice and I was amazed at how clear the water was.. it didn't have any color tint at all. I still treated anyway though.
    John Tobias (aka JT)

'11 update i suppose. went up moosilauke a few weeks ago. Trail from Kinsman was solid the whole way. apparently they worked on stuff since these older posts. great views from the shelter for sure. Register was running out of paper if someone was going up and wanted to bring more.

++ New Posts ++