WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 6 of 8 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by Cookerhiker View Post
    Gee do you really think so?

Again, that means waiting until Wednesday - it's all the same line (Cardinal).
    OK. the key word is Flexible. Do you know how far Lynchburg is from Peters Mtn? 2 1/2 hrs one way.
    [COLOR="Blue"]Hokey Pokey [/COLOR]

I'm seeking shuttles from the northern trailhead to Cumberland MD on Monday the 17th and Lynchburg to the southern trailhead on Tuesday morning the 18th. Hopefully those shorter distances will be tenable.

I'd like to hear of others' ALT experience -both the hike itself and the logistics.
    I can't make any promises this far out seeing as my work schedule is constantly in flux but if you can't find a ride from Bruceton Mills to Cumberland, send me a message. It would be a little out of the way but I could make the trip for another hiker.

-Donnie

Quote Originally Posted by Donnie View Post
    I can't make any promises this far out seeing as my work schedule is constantly in flux but if you can't find a ride from Bruceton Mills to Cumberland, send me a message. It would be a little out of the way but I could make the trip for another hiker.

-Donnie
    Thanks - I'll let you know.

Quote Originally Posted by stranger View Post
    I know there is another thread on here about thru-hiking this trail but it doesn't seem to get into the nuts and bolts around doing so.

I am very interested in thru-hiking this trail starting in the next week or so and would really like to hear from others who have been on the trail, thru-hiked it or know about it.

In particular...

- public transportation to each trailhead (I have a car but would need to get back to it, or could just rely on public trans/shuttles)
    - is the current trail guide accurate?
    - maps?
    - resupply options?
    - signage and trail markings, good or vague?
    - ticks? lyme disease?
    - campsites, shelters, etc...?
    - is may/early june a bad time to hike (mud, bugs, etc...)

Any information is greatly appreciated!
    I can answer some of your questions based on the extensive planning I've done. Of course we'll see how reality comes out after my NOBO thruhike starts on Tuesday, May 18.

As noted in previous posts to this thread, the ALT is maintained by the West Virginia Scenic Trails Association. You can purchase the guidebook & maps from them but the last edition of the book is dated 2003. If you want more current updates, you must join the WVSTA - dues are only $12.

You asked about shelters - there are about 6 or so on the entire 292 miles of the AT. The Guidebook also lists areas where camping is good and the few areas where camping is prohibited. I composed a spreadsheet with key data points (camping areas, state parks, road crossings, lodging, etc.) and have attached it to this post. It apparently exceeds the size limit so if it doesn't show, send me a PM or e-mail and I'll send it to you. The spreadsheet also lists the nights where we plan to camp and the mileage for each day. I composed it in QuattroPro and converted it to Execel dropping the formulae so I'm not sure how it will come out.

Resupply options: we don't want to leave the immediate trail corridor so we're using 4 maildrops. In order from the south, they are a B&B in Huntersville (Mile 75), a cottage in Durbin (Mile 119), the Canaan Valley Lodge in the state park (Mile 184) and the PO in Rowlesburg (Mile 238). The closest the ALT passes to any full-scale grocery stores is in Davis outside of Blackwater Falls SP (Mile 195) but it's still a 2-3 mile walk. Until you reach the Canaan Valley at mile 184, the closest town for any meaningful resupply is Marlinton which is 6 miles off the trail. Otherwise, there are small grocery stores in Huntersville (75), Cass (101), Glady (147), Thomas (197), and Rowlesburg (238).

A word about mileage: it's not exactly precise. The WVSTA website says "330 miles or will be when last 20 miles are complete" but adding the mileage up in the Guide results in 292 miles. Then there's a major trail closure in the north resulting in a relocation that shaves off some miles but how much is uncertain because of contradictory descriptions in the WVSTA guide & website. As near as I can figure, the total mileage now is 288 miles which you'll see is the total on my spreadsheet.

Regarding that reference to the "last 20 miles," the ALT has a missing link in the south. You'll find plenty of references to it and how to deal with it in the previous posts.

Logistics: public transportation is limited and you have to arrange for some shuttles. Here's what we're doing:
    1. Parking our car Sunday evening May 16 at the northern trailhead on the WV/PA border (I've been told it's safe);
    2. Getting a ride to Cumberland, MD where we spend the night;
    3. AMTRAK the next day at 9:30 AM to Washington DC, thence another train to Lynchburg, VA where we spend the night;
    4. Early Tuesday morning the 18th, shuttle to where the AT intersects Stony Creek Rd. very near Pine Swamp Branch Shelter.
    5. Hike the AT southbound for 2.5 miles to the Peters Mountain ridgeline where the ALT begins.
    6. Hike on that day and camp
    7. About 1 PM the next day (Wednesday) arrive at the end of the southern missing link and pick up another shuttle to where the ALT resumes at I-64 on the WV/VA border and continue our hike north.
    One note re. AMTRAK: you can take AMTRAK closer to the ALT junction at I-64 on a different line and alight at White Sulphur Springs but this train only leaves 3 days a week so you have to arrange your schedule around it. As far as I can tell, bus service is virtually non-existent.

At the southern end, you can contact the shuttlers from the ATC list who service Central Virginia or you can contact Hikerhead who lives in Roanoke and is very familiar with the southern half of the ALT - you'll note his many posts above. For the northern end, I was lucky in that I lived in Western MD for 2 1/2 years and had enough contacts I was able to secure a shuttle.

Administratively and trail maintenance-wise, the ALT is broken into 4 segments with a coordinator for each one. I e-mailed all the coordinators for any info/updates on trail conditions. In general, the ALT is not maintained anywhere near to AT standards so I expect blowdowns and faint-to-zero blazes. I also asked the northern coordinator about shuttlers but to no avail.

FYI the ALT drops below 1,200 only once briefly and that's on the aforementioned detour. The highest point is 4,120'. And based on my perusal of the guide, it appears (famous last words here) that there are few if any long uphills so characteristic of the AT. There's a 27 mile stretch along a river, the Glady Fork, which I'm eagerly anticipating. And there's one major river ford (Greenbrier) where a high-water alternative is also available.

I could go on and on but hope this helps. Again feel free to contact me.
    Last edited by Cookerhiker; 05-09-2010 at 10:01. Reason: Added link to WVSTA

Default Overall map of ALT

I created this map yesterday and would be the first to admit that it's not overly precise but it gives you an idea of where the ALT is located, at least relative to the rest of West Virginia. I omitted the 21 mile stretch at the far south where it branches off from the AT on Peters Mountain.

Images

Wow cookerhiker, thanks a lot for your posts. Please consider posting a journal of your trip, have fun!
    -milkman

got soul?

I have set up a journal: www.trailjournals.com/CookerhikerALT but I won't likely post much until I return home. I expect virtually no internet access for at least 190 miles and I'll never be near a library or other place with public access. We have a planned zero day at Canaan Valley but I don't want to spend it on a computer.

I can answer some of your questions based on the extensive planning I've done. Of course we'll see how reality comes out after my NOBO thruhike starts on Tuesday, May 18.

As noted in previous posts to this thread, the ALT is maintained by the West Virginia Scenic Trails Association. You can purchase the guidebook & maps from them but the last edition of the book is dated 2003. If you want more current updates, you must join the WVSTA - dues are only $12.

You asked about shelters - there are about 6 or so on the entire 292 miles of the AT. The Guidebook also lists areas where camping is good and the few areas where camping is prohibited. I composed a spreadsheet with key data points (camping areas, state parks, road crossings, lodging, etc.) and have attached it to this post. It apparently exceeds the size limit so if it doesn't show, send me a PM or e-mail and I'll send it to you. The spreadsheet also lists the nights where we plan to camp and the mileage for each day. I composed it in QuattroPro and converted it to Execel dropping the formulae so I'm not sure how it will come out.

Resupply options: we don't want to leave the immediate trail corridor so we're using 4 maildrops. In order from the south, they are a B&B in Huntersville (Mile 75), a cottage in Durbin (Mile 119), the Canaan Valley Lodge in the state park (Mile 184) and the PO in Rowlesburg (Mile 238). The closest the ALT passes to any full-scale grocery stores is in Davis outside of Blackwater Falls SP (Mile 195) but it's still a 2-3 mile walk. Until you reach the Canaan Valley at mile 184, the closest town for any meaningful resupply is Marlinton which is 6 miles off the trail. Otherwise, there are small grocery stores in Huntersville (75), Cass (101), Glady (147), Thomas (197), and Rowlesburg (238).

A word about mileage: it's not exactly precise. The WVSTA website says "330 miles or will be when last 20 miles are complete" but adding the mileage up in the Guide results in 292 miles. Then there's a major trail closure in the north resulting in a relocation that shaves off some miles but how much is uncertain because of contradictory descriptions in the WVSTA guide & website. As near as I can figure, the total mileage now is 288 miles which you'll see is the total on my spreadsheet.

Regarding that reference to the "last 20 miles," the ALT has a missing link in the south. You'll find plenty of references to it and how to deal with it in the previous posts.

Logistics: public transportation is limited and you have to arrange for some shuttles. Here's what we're doing:
    1. Parking our car Sunday evening May 16 at the northern trailhead on the WV/PA border (I've been told it's safe);
    2. Getting a ride to Cumberland, MD where we spend the night;
    3. AMTRAK the next day at 9:30 AM to Washington DC, thence another train to Lynchburg, VA where we spend the night;
    4. Early Tuesday morning the 18th, shuttle to where the AT intersects Stony Creek Rd. very near Pine Swamp Branch Shelter.
    5. Hike the AT southbound for 2.5 miles to the Peters Mountain ridgeline where the ALT begins.
    6. Hike on that day and camp
    7. About 1 PM the next day (Wednesday) arrive at the end of the southern missing link and pick up another shuttle to where the ALT resumes at I-64 on the WV/VA border and continue our hike north.
    One note re. AMTRAK: you can take AMTRAK closer to the ALT junction at I-64 on a different line and alight at White Sulphur Springs but this train only leaves 3 days a week so you have to arrange your schedule around it. As far as I can tell, bus service is virtually non-existent.

At the southern end, you can contact the shuttlers from the ATC list who service Central Virginia or you can contact Hikerhead who lives in Roanoke and is very familiar with the southern half of the ALT - you'll note his many posts above. For the northern end, I was lucky in that I lived in Western MD for 2 1/2 years and had enough contacts I was able to secure a shuttle.

Administratively and trail maintenance-wise, the ALT is broken into 4 segments with a coordinator for each one. I e-mailed all the coordinators for any info/updates on trail conditions. In general, the ALT is not maintained anywhere near to AT standards so I expect blowdowns and faint-to-zero blazes. I also asked the northern coordinator about shuttlers but to no avail.

FYI the ALT drops below 1,200 only once briefly and that's on the aforementioned detour. The highest point is 4,120'. And based on my perusal of the guide, it appears (famous last words here) that there are few if any long uphills so characteristic of the AT. There's a 27 mile stretch along a river, the Glady Fork, which I'm eagerly anticipating. And there's one major river ford (Greenbrier) where a high-water alternative is also available.

I could go on and on but hope this helps. Again feel free to contact me.
    When you do the blueblaze to the Raptor Observatory, don't backtrack, keep on heading the same way and your back on track in about 100 yards where the two trails come back together. It's a circle around the observatory and what is called the blueblaze should be the main trail IMHO. Nice job on this spreadsheet.

Quote Originally Posted by Hikerhead View Post
    When you do the blueblaze to the Raptor Observatory, don't backtrack, keep on heading the same way and your back on track in about 100 yards where the two trails come back together. It's a circle around the observatory and what is called the blueblaze should be the main trail IMHO. Nice job on this spreadsheet.
    Thanks for the tip and good luck on your upcoming hike in PA.

Thanks for the tip and good luck on your upcoming hike in PA.
    Thanks. Also, there's a firetower you'll go by about a mile past the Seneca Shelter. Take a break and check that out.

http://www.senecastateforest.com/senecamap.pdf

some pics from my allegheny hike today. figured some people in this thread might enjoy them...

Dan, much thanks. Very nice photos - enough to get me more psyched!

Our hike has been postponed by 2-3 days because of some family issues which is why I'm on-line now instead of riding AMTRAK to the southern terminus as planned.

Default Good Luck!

Cookerhiker,

Nice meeting you and Karen at Traildays over the weekend. Wishing you best of luck on your ALT hike, and look forward to tales of your adventure on your return.

CG

Default Shuttles / Transportation

If you were to hike the trail and forget about the last section with the gap and end near I 64, how would someone get to from there without a car?

Anyone know about the northern terminus as well...possible shuttles?

Thanks

Default The hike that wasn't....

Well we got all of 15.6 miles and had to end the hike because of an injury which occurred at our first (and only) night's campsite. It was an action-packed 15.6 miles what with numerous blowdowns, non-existent "trail" through waist-high nettles & other underbrush, lots of beautiful wildflowers, 2 crossings of the Eastern Continental Divide, stretches through marshes & bogs, absolutely no fellow hikers, and to top it off at the end of the day: an encounter with a big rattlesnake (no, it wasn't the cause of the injury). Although very well-blazed (Yellow-blazing on the ALT is equivalent to white-blazing on the AT), the path was barely or not discernible in places. So even if the injury hadn't occurred, we intended to reassess the hike after 3-4 days, 50 miles when we reached our first townstop in Huntersville. If we had continued to battle blowdowns and high brush for the entire 50 miles, we likely would have called it quits. The WVSTA had apprised me that winter blowdowns were uncleared but most of them obviously predated last winter.

Now I don't know how typical this stretch was compared to portions further north. The whole ALT is quite remote and unpeopled - especially compared to the AT - but the southern portion where we hiked (I-64 north to Sherwood Lake Rd.) was particularly isolated.

It's a bummer especially considering all the time I spent planning the transportation & shuttles at each end, the resupply maildrops, the hiking schedule. I still want to return to this trail but most likely at a different time of year - either April before the understory growth or the second half of October. Perhaps after The Gathering?

Anyway I learned a lot in the planning process if not on the 1 1/4 days hike. So that the time I spent doesn't completely go to waste, I'd be pleased to share my spreadsheet, resupply options, trailside and off-trail lodging and facilities (such that they are) and any other info. for anyone who's interested in the ALT.

Quote Originally Posted by stranger View Post
    If you were to hike the trail and forget about the last section with the gap and end near I 64, how would someone get to from there without a car?

Anyone know about the northern terminus as well...possible shuttles?

Thanks
    Re. the I-64 end, you have some good choices. Either take AMTRAK on the Cardinal line to White Sulphur Springs or Greyhound to Roanoke. From either location, you can draw from the ATC shuttle list for a shuttle. But keep in mind that the AMTRAK train only runs 3 days per week. Consult AMTRAK's website.

The north is more problematic. It's easy to find the parking lot which appears safe to leave a car but shuttlers and transportation are harder to find. My previous posts described how I arranged a shuttle to Cumberland where I took AMTRAK. I lived for 2 1/2 years in Western MD and drew on my contacts and friends, resulting in a free shuttle. My attempts to secure a single north-to-south shuttle were unsuccessful.

If I were doing it again (and I might be!), I'd go to the websites of West Virginia University and Frostburg State University and try to find a bulletin board/chatroom and/or student outing club to solicit a ride. I'd think there'd be some college student looking to make a few $$$ for a shuttle. Of course, you can also advertise here on WB. I asked the WVSTA (the ALT maintaining club) about shuttlers but they had nothing to offer.

Images

Default Starting Sobo Thru March 15

I've had the Allegheny Trail on my "to do" list for a couple of years and am planning to start southbound on March 15. Got the guidebooks and the updates and really am thankful for CookerHiker's posts above. Plan to contact the caretakers for each section to get updates on trail conditions over the next two months.
    Handlebar
    GA-ME 06; PCT 08; CDT 10,11,12; ALT 11; MSPA 12; CT 13; Sheltowee 14; AZT 14, 15; LT 15;FT 16;NCT-NY&PA 16; GET 17-18

Quote Originally Posted by handlebar View Post
    I've had the Allegheny Trail on my "to do" list for a couple of years and am planning to start southbound on March 15. Got the guidebooks and the updates and really am thankful for CookerHiker's posts above. Plan to contact the caretakers for each section to get updates on trail conditions over the next two months.
    That's a good time to start before the trail Weeds-Over. They keep the blazing in pretty good shape but don't have a lot hands for maintenance so you might have to step over a few trees here and there. Are you keeping a journal?

Quote Originally Posted by handlebar View Post
    Send me a PM if you'd like my planning spreadsheet. It's organized northbound but you could adapt it. I composed it using the ALT guidebook with relevant stops including planned camping areas. It also has info on our planned re-supply points and town stops (such that they would have been).

Quote Originally Posted by Hikerhead View Post
    That's a good time to start before the trail Weeds-Over. They keep the blazing in pretty good shape but don't have a lot hands for maintenance so you might have to step over a few trees here and there. Are you keeping a journal?
    Yes, that comports with my experience as noted in Post 115 above. A March 15 start should avoid the thick underbrush I encountered. I was surprised how high the undergrowth was already by May 22 when we started. And you can expect some blowdowns.

I'm hoping to resume (actually restart) the ALT next Fall, tentatively a few days after the ALDHA Gathering.

Images

I live in kingwood, wv. Very close to the allegheny trail and northern terminus in bruceton. If I can be of any help such as shuttles or logistics let me know. Or i could join one of you for a weekend if the schedules mesh.

Doc Mike

Page 6 of 8 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 LastLast
++ New Posts ++