WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 8 of 8 FirstFirst ... 4 5 6 7 8

I am curious whether it is worth taking along a tenkara fly fishing rod on an Allegheny Trail thru hike in July. The whole rig only weighs a few ounces, but I wouldn't want to bother unless there was some decent fishing fairly frequently.

Quote Originally Posted by staehpj1 View Post
    I am curious whether it is worth taking along a tenkara fly fishing rod on an Allegheny Trail thru hike in July. The whole rig only weighs a few ounces, but I wouldn't want to bother unless there was some decent fishing fairly frequently.
    I know zilch about fishing but I can tell you that a fair amount of the ALT is along water. The 4 miles south of Cass are on the Greenbrier River Trail. North of Durbin, you actually ford the West Fork of the Greenbrier before your ascent to the Shavers Mountain ridgeline (if you're hiking NOBO). And then after descending Shavers Mountain and passing by the hamlet of Glady, the Trail goes along the Glady Fork for 25 miles.

I'm sure if you contact the ALT's "owner" - West Virginia Scenic Trails Association - you'd get an answer.

Images

FWIW, the West Virginiai Scenic Trail Association, the group that built and takes care of the ALT has, with the cooperation of USFS, mapped a route through the "missing link". They have annual trail crew weeks in June close to the weekend of Fathers Day and could use your help in building trail through the missing link. I missed it this year, but do plan on joining next year. Also, they are hosting their annual fundraiser, "The Trek", that is a backpack trip with support of shuttles. Check it out at: http://wvscenictrails.org/Trek.aspx
    Handlebar
    GA-ME 06; PCT 08; CDT 10,11,12; ALT 11; MSPA 12; CT 13; Sheltowee 14; AZT 14, 15; LT 15;FT 16;NCT-NY&PA 16; GET 17-18

x2 what Handlebar said. (Hi Handlebar!) Also, for folks looking to thruhike the ALT, I recently hiked the missing link on backroads, and it was a very pleasant experience. Don't let the missing bit scare you away from a truly fantastic trail. Let's get it done, but it can be enjoyed right now. Happy trails.

I received a PM requesting my Allegheny Trail spreadsheet. I have not updated this in a few years and it's oriented NOBO which was the direction of my planned thru-hike but anyone interested might find it useful.
    Attached Files Attached Files

Images

Quote Originally Posted by Cookerhiker View Post
    I received a PM requesting my Allegheny Trail spreadsheet. I have not updated this in a few years and it's oriented NOBO which was the direction of my planned thru-hike but anyone interested might find it useful.

Thanks for the spreadsheet! I plan on hiking north from the AT this year. Maybe a couple trips.

Cookerhiker, I would like your opinion if you don't mind. Not to begrudge West Virginia Scenic Trails Association any money for the their map, but as far as I can tell it hasn't been updated in like 10 years. Wouldn't I be just as well of with the NatGeo map #242? I'm thinking between your sheet and #242, I shouldn't have any issues. What do you think?

V8
    ______
    /l ,[____],
    l---L -OlllllllO-
    ()_) ()_)--o-)_)

Quote Originally Posted by V Eight View Post
    Thanks for the spreadsheet! I plan on hiking north from the AT this year. Maybe a couple trips.

Cookerhiker, I would like your opinion if you don't mind. Not to begrudge West Virginia Scenic Trails Association any money for the their map, but as far as I can tell it hasn't been updated in like 10 years. Wouldn't I be just as well of with the NatGeo map #242? I'm thinking between your sheet and #242, I shouldn't have any issues. What do you think?

V8
    I haven't seen the National Geographic maps but I know they're usually reliable. Last I knew, the WVSTA sold the maps separate from the guidebook. You may wish to purchase the latter. Also, I recommend signing up for membership for one year so that you can gain access to their website where updates to the trails are posted. Finally, the ALT is broken into 4 sections, each with a coordinator. You may want to e-mail each coordinator to ascertain latest trail conditions and changes. One example: I believe that a road walk north of Thomas has been eliminated with agreement to access a wooded section previously closed by a private landowner (a utility or logging company, I believe).

I encourage you to read recent trail journals from trailjournals.com as another resource.

Good luck!

Images

Thanks for the info. I have sent the the WVSTA an email.

V8
    ______
    /l ,[____],
    l---L -OlllllllO-
    ()_) ()_)--o-)_)

Images

+1 on emailing the coordinator for each section. That should prove very helpful.
    Handlebar
    GA-ME 06; PCT 08; CDT 10,11,12; ALT 11; MSPA 12; CT 13; Sheltowee 14; AZT 14, 15; LT 15;FT 16;NCT-NY&PA 16; GET 17-18

Page 8 of 8 FirstFirst ... 4 5 6 7 8
++ New Posts ++