WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Thread: trane'n

Images

Default trane'n

What would you recommend to do for cross training to prepare for a thru-hike?

Should I change anything about my diet?

Should I change anything about my sleep habits?

GAME 2000
    Images

I don't think I would worry about diet or sleep habits.

Obviously, it will be easier at the beginning if you are in good shape. The best training for long distance hiking is long distance hiking. I usually takes about six weeks of long distance hiking to become an endurance athelete. In the beginning, it is about endurance, going up hills and going down hills (I use the term 'hills' lightly, sometimes there will be a few mountains thrown in there. ). You will work all your leg muscles really hard, along with the torso, i.e. abs and lower back.

You don't have to be in shape to start a thru-hike. A lot of people use the first couple of hundred miles to get in shape, they just have to take it a little easier in the beginning. Remember, there is a fine line between building yourself up and tearing youself down...so be careful in the beginning that you don't tear yourself down. That advice is also applicable to pre-hike training, take it easy, you don't want to hurt something before you even get to the trail. Injuries make it difficult/impossible to hike. If you want to do pre-hike training...remember up-hill, down-hill, up-hill, down-hill, over and over.

Youngblood

As previous post stated, best training for backpacking is backpacking.

Second choice is anything that replicates backpacking. Wear a backpack and hit the stair master at the gym. Climb stadiums with a backpack on. Climb stairs.

Third choice is anything that works your lower body and gets you heart rate up. This includes running, biking, cross country skiing in the winter, etc.

++ New Posts ++