WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Olive Oil

Default Olive Oil

So I got some really decent Olive Oil that i am going to use for my pantry. I am going to take Garlic, Rosemary, and Thyme and just seal a jar of Olive Oil and let it sit and get those herbs to infuse the oil. Cut down on extra stuff to worry about.

Do-it-yourself pepsi can stoves - $20 each. Amigi'sLastStand's Avatar
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by Lowspark View Post
    So I got some really decent Olive Oil that i am going to use for my pantry. I am going to take Garlic, Rosemary, and Thyme and just seal a jar of Olive Oil and let it sit and get those herbs to infuse the oil. Cut down on extra stuff to worry about.
    When I hike, the only thing I put OO on is pasta. Else I just take a Tp size sit every meal I eat for the calories.
    You might wanna try lemon zest also in the OO. Mmmm.
    You are in heaven.

Images

Olive oil is good for starting fires, keeping the callories up, and other small tasks.
    SGT Rock
    http://hikinghq.net

My 2008 Trail Journal of the BMT/AT

BMT Thru-Hikers' Guide
    -----------------------------------------

NO SNIVELING

Somebody told me once that you have to be carefull with garlic in olive oil as it could cause botulism. I checked and found this link.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cooking_oil

El Sordo
    Images

that could be true, but it would help if 'wik' provided a reference. as i understand it, anyone can post information on wik.

I know, i had heard it on a cooking show years ago and just did a quick google to check my memory is all.

Hey, i like my eggs over easy and my steaks rare so i am no food safety weanie. Just figure you need to know the risks when you cant have refridgeration.

Am J Public Health. 1990 Nov;80(11):1372-3.

Bureau of Communicable Disease Control, New York State Department of Health and State University, Albany.

In February 1989, three cases of botulism occurred in persons who consumed garlic bread made from a garlic-in-oil product. Testing of leftover garlic-in-oil showed it to have a pH of 5.7 and to contain high concentrations of Clostridium botulinum organisms and toxin. This was the second episode of botulism associated with a low acid garlic-in-oil product which needs constant refrigeration. In response, the Food and Drug Administration has taken steps to prevent a recurrence by requiring that microbial inhibitors or acidifying agents be added to such products.
    PMID: 2240308 [PubMed - indexed for MEDLINE]

From the CDC's website: (search garlic olive oil)
    Acidification has been used as a solution to previous foodborne botulism outbreaks. In 1985, 36 patients in the United States and Canada were identified with botulism after eating at a restaurant in Vancouver, British Columbia. A case-control study implicated commercially produced, chopped garlic in soybean oil stored at room temperature as the source of the outbreak (1). In 1989, a second outbreak of botulism associated with chopped garlic in oil occurred when three patients in New York were identified with botulism after consuming a meal containing unrefrigerated, commercially produced, chopped garlic in virgin olive oil (2). After these outbreaks, FDA rules were altered to require that garlic-in-oil products contain an acidifying agent such as phosphoric or citric acid.

OK - in a nutshell -- it's OK to use dried herbs in unrefrigerated flavored oil. Fresh herbs and garlic in oil needs to be refrigerated, and has a life of only about 2 weeks.

Images

I have a bottle of Olive oil (extra virgin thank you) that I filled 4 years ago. Still no rancid taste or smell, not saying it's truely safe, but it dosn't seem bad. At the same time I filled that bottle, (10 OZ) I filled a small bottle (3 Oz) with about 2 Tblspns "garlic buds" toppped with the same Olive oil, It went bad, obviously BAD in about 8 weeks.

My thoughts: plain OO keeps "forever" contaminate it, with anything, it will turn on you. BUT, for a short trip, small amounts, I'll still add the garlic & take my chances.

Doctari.
    Curse you Perry the Platypus!

Do-it-yourself pepsi can stoves - $20 each. Amigi'sLastStand's Avatar
    Images

Was all this garlic-talk powdered garlic, or fresh garlic? Cant see how powdered would grow botulism.
    You are in heaven.

Getting out as much as I can..which is never enough. :) Mags's Avatar

Default Extra Virgin

Yes...the only olive oil you should use is Extra Virgin. Anything else is just glorified veggie oil!

(Admit to be an olive oil snob! My family would disown me if I used anything else.. )
    Paul "Mags" Magnanti
    http://pmags.com
    Twitter: @pmagsco
    Facebook: pmagsblog

The true harvest of my life is intangible...a little stardust caught,a portion of the rainbow I have clutched -Thoreau

Quote Originally Posted by Amigi'sLastStand View Post
    Was all this garlic-talk powdered garlic, or fresh garlic? Cant see how powdered would grow botulism.
    Lowspark wasn't specific in his original post... The botulism talk was concerning the use of fresh garlic, herbs and zests in olive oil.

As to your second comment, dried/powdered is thought to be safe; bacteria need moisture (water) to thrive, so without enough "free" water, they cannot grow well.

Images

Quote Originally Posted by Mags View Post
    Yes...the only olive oil you should use is Extra Virgin. Anything else is just glorified veggie oil!

(Admit to be an olive oil snob! My family would disown me if I used anything else.. )
    Mmmm, extra virgins.

Personally I like an olive oil that has been around and knows a thing or two
    SGT Rock

BMT Thru-Hikers' Guide

NO SNIVELING

Quote Originally Posted by SGT Rock View Post
    Mmmm, extra virgins.
    Wonder if that was what Saddam was thinkin' when he had the noose around his slimy neck?

Images

His virgins were going to be in Hell.
    SGT Rock

BMT Thru-Hikers' Guide

NO SNIVELING

I've always wondered about that 40 virgin thing. What happens after you ***** them all? Does allah supply you with fresh ones?

Images

And I thought I was good at thread swerve!
    Me no care, me here free beer. Tap keg, please?

Images

Quote Originally Posted by Grandma Dixie View Post
    I've always wondered about that 40 virgin thing. What happens after you ***** them all? Does allah supply you with fresh ones?
    Quote Originally Posted by Two Speed View Post
    And I thought I was good at thread swerve!
    Swerve?

Hell, this thread took a header over the guard rail.
    Skids

Insanity: Asking about inseams over and over again and expecting different results.
    Albert Einstein, (attributed)

Images

Well we have our own theory here. That any woman tha makes it to heaven still a virgin is no one we would want ourselves.

Add to that the thought that if you screw up as a martyr, you get to be a virgin for another guy in hell.
    SGT Rock

BMT Thru-Hikers' Guide

NO SNIVELING

Wow, just checked the thread for the first time since I posted, whata turn it took.

Quote Originally Posted by L. Wolf View Post
    Wonder if that was what Saddam was thinkin' when he had the noose around his slimy neck?
    I take full responsibilty AND pride for turning this thread.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
++ New Posts ++