Hmmm...I'm not sure why there's so much hate on canister stoves, especially resupply problems. I started my thru with the MSR microrocket (2.5oz if you get rid of the stupid plastic case it comes in) and a small fuel canister. I usually made 2 cups of coffee in the morning, and boiled water for dinner (sometimes I would have coffee at lunch too). I never had problems finding fuel, and I only completely ran out of fuel once. Then again, I was smart about my fuel usage and always kept an eye on my fuel level, especially when nearing town. When I made coffee it was the instant kind, so it's really just heating to desired temp, and with dinner I would boil just enough water to place in a plastic bag and cozy. I also never turned the stove up to maximum flame. I don't understand why people do this. It's NOT a flamethrower...if there's flame coming out, around, and halfway up the pot; you're heating the woods! I prefer the convenience of the stove vs pouring liquid fuel. Also, my entire cook-set was sub 1lb. Snowpeak Ti cup and pot, canister, microrocket, and cozy/plastic bags. If messing with alcohol saves me 3oz, it's just not worth it to me. You can measure the canister fuel level by placing it in water...also, shake it and listen to the canister. This is obviously not an exact science, but when it's nearing empty the sound of the fuel shaking in the canister goes from a sloshing sound to a tinkling sound (I know that's a poor explanation, but it really does . Now, with this setup I find it just as weight practical as alcohol; however, take the Jet boil with the extra plastic, on the over-sized canister, the oversized mug, the plastic lid, etc...and it may not be weight effective.