WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
    GA - Central PA 1977
    Images

Default Odd/Supernatural sightings along the trail?

I am in the process of writing something and am at the part where I am remembering some odd "things" I could have sworn I saw up along the trail over the years as well as things people I met back then told me they saw....So I figure I`d ask here...Has anyone on this board Personally seen anything odd at any time in your hiking career on the AT?..Ghosts..Big Foot..UFO..15 foot dragon fly..Gargoyle..Ostrich..Armadillo..Anything?
    Sometimes you can't hear them talk..Other times you can.
    The same old cliches.."Is that a woman or a man?"
    You always seem out-numbered..You don't dare make a stand.

Many, many moons ago... I was camped (illegally) near one of the AMC huts. A beautiful starry night, with a lady friend. A meteorite fell, so close that we could hear it. Not supernatural, but I'll never forget it.

Donating Member/AT Class of 2003 - The WET year
    Images

Does it count if they were chemically induced ??

'Slogger
    The more I learn ...the more I realize I don't know.

Quote Originally Posted by Programbo View Post
    .Has anyone on this board Personally seen anything odd at any time in your hiking career on the AT?.
    You mean odder than Tootslogger in a propeller beanie?

I lurked here for a while before joining and I recall some old threads that dealt with this subject. Unexplained events, sightings, noises, etc., are a hobby of mine. It's convenient living in one of the most haunted places in the country. I've never seen anything unexplained while hiking on the AT, but a few others on this site have.
    I hope they show the part where they trade guns to the Indians for corn, and then the Indians shoot them and take the corn. - Bart Simpson

Quote Originally Posted by Programbo View Post
    I am in the process of writing something and am at the part where I am remembering some odd "things" I could have sworn I saw up along the trail over the years as well as things people I met back then told me they saw....So I figure I`d ask here...Has anyone on this board Personally seen anything odd at any time in your hiking career on the AT?..Ghosts..Big Foot..UFO..15 foot dragon fly..Gargoyle..Ostrich..Armadillo..Anything?
    Now, to be serious (),

I have always wanted to track down the Brown Mountain Lights in NC.
    I bet someone on this list has seen them, near Linville Gorge.
    Google Brown Mountain Lights if it doesn't ring a bell.

Donating Member/AT Class of 2003 - The WET year
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by Jan LiteShoe View Post
    You mean odder than Tootslogger in a propeller beanie?
    ================================

...not to mention the Kilt !!
    The more I learn ...the more I realize I don't know.

Quote Originally Posted by Footslogger View Post
    ================================

...not to mention the Kilt !!
    Oh yes.
    Gives odd a whole new meaning!

Quote Originally Posted by Jan LiteShoe View Post
    Now, to be serious (),

I have always wanted to track down the Brown Mountain Lights in NC.
    I bet someone on this list has seen them, near Linville Gorge.
    Google Brown Mountain Lights if it doesn't ring a bell.
    How about a Brown-Mountain-Light-Hunting Ruck this summer?
    LOL.

It's not exactly on the Trail, but I'm convinced that Gettysburg is haunted.

Quote Originally Posted by Jack Tarlin View Post
    It's not exactly on the Trail, but I'm convinced that Gettysburg is haunted.
    Why say you?
    Story?

Images

Weelll...I have strange dreams about the Burningtown/Wayah Bald area and when I went there and took a picture at Burningtown Gap, low and behold, there was a Spirit Orb that showed up in the pic. Alright, it could be a reflection, but, I have nothing like it in any of my other pics. I had really strange dreams at Lemon Gap near Hot Springs. I'm talking vision dreams that you can remember every part of even years later. Brown Mountain Light Hunting Ruck sounds like fun.

Images

Not me personally, but if you check out G-Walk's journal from '06 he talks of a possibly haunted room #24 at the Doyle. He told me about it personally a couple days after the event, but has included a brief mention in his Trailsjournal. Even included a picture.

http://www.trailjournals.com/entry.cfm?id=145215

Images

They say that Punchbowl shelter is haunted by a little boy who was found died ontop of Bluff Mountain. If I remember right, there is a small memorial to him on the AT as it crosses the top. I used to belong to a hiking club in VA and some of the members who have slept there have heard the cries of a young boy in the middle of the night.

Formerly CoralRives
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by Footslogger View Post
    Does it count if they were chemically induced ??

'Slogger

LMAO. I imagine there are plenty of those stories!
    "Be good and you will be lonesome" M. Twain

There is a road, no simple highway,
    Between the dawn and the dark of night,
    And if you go no one may follow,
    That path is for your steps alone

Images

Default Crashed aircraft

I was walking along the trail on the east end of the Smokies and came across a funny looking green piece of metal. Being an ex-Air Force mechanic I recognized it as a piece of an aircraft bulkhead painted zinc chromate primer green, but couldn't figure out for the life of me what it was doing up there. Later that day I saw a couple of park rangers and I asked them about it. They told me an F-4 Phantom had crashed up there in the early 80's. I now work as a contractor on an Air Force base and currently work with a guy who remembered that crash because he was stationed at Shaw AFB in South Carolina where it was based when it crashed. Small world.

Sign me up for the Brown Mountain Lights Ruck. Wilsons Creek in summer is a great swimming-hiking trip.

Quote Originally Posted by Sarge View Post
    I was walking along the trail on the east end of the Smokies and came across a funny looking green piece of metal. Being an ex-Air Force mechanic I recognized it as a piece of an aircraft bulkhead painted zinc chromate primer green, but couldn't figure out for the life of me what it was doing up there. Later that day I saw a couple of park rangers and I asked them about it. They told me an F-4 Phantom had crashed up there in the early 80's. I now work as a contractor on an Air Force base and currently work with a guy who remembered that crash because he was stationed at Shaw AFB in South Carolina where it was based when it crashed. Small world.

I seem to recall a similar (long-ago) plane crash somewhere down near Muskrat Creek Shelter? Or was I imagining that? There's a plane wreck somewhere in Baxter... but not near the AT. Takes some bushwhacking to find it, I'm told.

Images

An interesting question.

The one experience that spooked me occured many years ago when I was heading from the Instuite at Tremont parking lot up to Spence Field Shelter.

I was new to all of the this and I misjudged the total trail length from the parking lot to the top at Spence Field. Up I went and for hours found myself on the Bote Mtn trail. My pack was to heavy and I had run out of water but I was getting closer when I felt faint and I had to sit down and get out of my pack.

I would guess that it was about 10 min when a very old couple came from no where and stoped to talk with me. I was a mess, there was nothing dry that I had on and must have looked pretty bad.

The couple struck me as odd as they were both wearing white t-shirts, white shorts, white socks, white tennis shoes and they carried no butt pack, no day pack, no water, nothing. And what I remeber the most was that here we are about 3/4 mile away from Spence Field and the AT and this couple looks as clean as if they just steped out of their car.

The lady does the talking and she wants to know if I am ok. I tell her that I am fine that I just need to rest a little bit but that I am very close to where I am going.

The man tells the lady lets go he says he is fine. She continues to ask me if i am sure that I am ok. I again explain that my pack was very heavy and that I was going to be up here for a coule of days but that i was feeling just fine, somewhat tired but I would sleep good tonght.

The man again tells the lady lets go he says he is ok. the lady looks at the man and says "Well, we were talking that we needed to check up on him and I just wanted to make sure he is ok", the man says, "he told you he is fine, now lets be off or we will be late".

This couple wish me well and off they go like a young couple on a brisk hike. As I look up at the trail and my pack and I turn to look at them again they are gone. The trail turned to the left and I went to the curve to look at them and they were no where in sight.

I know that it sounds weird but this is a true story of mine and I have always wondered but in the shape that I was in and the heat that I was in during August it was most likely nothing. Just an older couple out hiking a loop from Cades cove, Russell fields shelter, Spence Field and back to Cades cove.

I have always wished that I had asked if they were something else but I would have felt pretty stupid if they were just out for the day. I will never know but if I ever write a book I can assure you that this will be one of my stories.

Who knows.

CaptChaos
    Capt. Chaos

Col. John "CaptChaos" Knight
    Bowling Green, KY USA

Quote Originally Posted by LeeF View Post
    Sign me up for the Brown Mountain Lights Ruck. Wilsons Creek in summer is a great swimming-hiking trip.
    You know the area better than me.
    Why don't you "organize" it?
    Declare it, chose the date and the camping spot.. and they will come.

Keeping it primitive and bring-your-own would keep it simple.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
++ New Posts ++