WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3

Something very odd happened to me this week. I was hiking this weekend and when I was breaking down my hammock I lost a stuff sack (I have two stuff sacks, one for the hammock and one for the underpad). I set the underpad stuff sack on the ground and stuffed the hammock in its sack. I looked down and the other stuff sack was gone. I looked everywhere for it. I dumped my whole pack out. Went through all the pockets and compartments, looked it the pockets of clothes, set the hammock back up to make sure it wasn't tangled in it some how, I looked everywhere. I spent over an hour looking for the damn stuff sack. Nothing, so I thought maybe it blew away, so I walked around looking for it , under rocks, bushes, in the trees, everywhere but I could not find it. So I resigned, its gone.

I got home that Sunday night and tossed my pack in a closet and it has stayed there since. I haven't even opened the door to that closet all week. So whats odd???

I walk in the house today (Friday) and the stuff sack is sitting on the floor in the living room next to the couch. I was freaked out! HOW the hell did it get there??? It is a unique double ended Hennesy Hammock stuff sack and I only have the one. My head is still spinning. I live alone, no roomates or anything, no one else comes to my house, ie maid or other workers. It's just too freaky.

I once saw a good ole boy playing a banjo on the trail........err...nevermind.....
    "Every day above ground is a good day"
    www.hammockforums.net

I've had two scary moments out backpacking:

When I was homeless and living out of my pack I used to stealth camp near a university and one night I decided to stay in town for a campus movie, American Werewolf in London. Around midnight after the movie I strapped on my pack and headed up into the dark woods to a favorite little campsite. Along the way, well, I kept seeing this man-wolf thing running towards me at high speed and I knew for sure that if it didn't get me on the trail it certainly would at the next campsite. Scared spitless.

The other time I was bedroll camping in a treeline by a creek without a tent and late in the night somethng crept up behind me and let out the most godawful screaming wail. I froze up solid and waited and it came again, a combination of a baby's cry and a hyiena yelp. Scared spitless. Later some local boys told me it was an angry DEER getting personal. I didn't know it but a deer can make some pretty twisted sounds.

GA - Central PA 1977
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by FanaticFringer View Post
    I once saw a good ole boy playing a banjo on the trail........err...nevermind.....
    As long as you didn`t ask him for directions and he said "Aintry? This trail don`t go to Aintry you done taken a wrong turn!"

Just a quick sidenote of movie trivia..The boy in Deliverence wasn`t actually playing that banjo
    Sometimes you can't hear them talk..Other times you can.
    The same old cliches.."Is that a woman or a man?"
    You always seem out-numbered..You don't dare make a stand.

Forget Dudleytown. The most haunted, creepy place in the world is the Smoky Mountains.

Don't believe me? Google these names:

Dennis Martin
    Polly Melton
    Trenny Gibson

You could really forget Dudleytown now... They finally closed that section of the Mohawk Trail (old AT) and I have no inside info and am not a betting man but would bet a lot of money that people going to Dudleytown is the reason. Why they had to close a huge section of trail when only a tiny portion is in Dark Entry Forest is beyond me. They should be able to reroute around and still come out on Dark Entry Rd. in the state forest.

So now apparently the state forest is closed and you can't walk up Dark Entry Ravine anymore but you could walk in from the other side to a view and go back. Forget about getting any info from CFPA though, that's like pulling teeth. I inquired after the trail was closed but more importantly volunteering to help with any reroute but never a word back, like the last 5 or so times. They want your money but don't care about much physical help apparently. I had to call them out sending actual letter and e-mails to every address associated to finally get somebody to say "I don't think anyone would take umbrage if you cut some over grown branches". Before that they told me I could kick sticks aside but not to use my hand saw but then continually ask me for $ saying each mile of trail costs this much maintain. So it's no more money from me, I don't trust where that goes anyway. My donations are all physical on the trail where I know it counts.
    NoDoz
    nobo 2018 March 10th - October 19th
    -
    I'm just one too many mornings and 1,000 miles behind

Journal Entries

I've posted a number of times about my experiences. A search might find them. I sometimes wonder if I'm a ghost magnet. I was a bit friendly with some of the "residents" of one place. They even told me a good place to camp for the night once and it worked out.

Journal Entries

Oh, and they kind of let me know in a way that they really did not want me staying at the edge of the place. Fine with me I spent a nice night where I was pointed to.

I was creeped out by a plane crash site in MD between Lamb's Knoll and Gathland SP, back in the mid 70's. Cessna Skymaster. I haven't been able to find it on many times since going through there. But at the time I thought it had just happened.. parts scattered everywhere and a clear window to the sky where it had sheared off the trees.

More recently, there was a big one in northern VA (Mt Weather), maybe in the late 80's?, a 747 I think that had set off from Dulles and clipped the ridge, sawing off trees and making a huge clearing. I recall seeing the scratches it made crossing the pavement of the MT Weather road. Many fatalities in that one.

Images

Quote Originally Posted by RockDoc View Post
    More recently, there was a big one in northern VA (Mt Weather), maybe in the late 80's?, a 747 I think that had set off from Dulles and clipped the ridge, sawing off trees and making a huge clearing. I recall seeing the scratches it made crossing the pavement of the MT Weather road. Many fatalities in that one.

It was 1974, and was a TWA 727. All 92 on board were killed.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/TWA_Flight_514

Journal Entries

I've posted a number of times about my experiences. A search might find them. I sometimes wonder if I'm a ghost magnet. I was a bit friendly with some of the "residents" of one place. They even told me a good place to camp for the night once and it worked out.
    Oh, and they kind of let me know in a way that they really did not want me staying at the edge of the place or near it. Fine with me I spent a nice night where I was pointed to.

I guess I never said what it was. It was a cemetery beside the trail. They also had a story to tell and I did berify what they told me. Not saying where it was.

Journal Entries

Not on the AT but one time I was walking a trail which had some light snow on it. This trail had no other intersections at/near this point. I met a woman walking the other way and started a brief conversation with her and she reminded me a lot of a good friend. After talking we went our separate ways and as I was walking a bit I noticed there were no footprints that she should have left in the snow. I didn't go back to check where we were talking as I was determined to get to where I needed to be, but I can't imagine how that would have happened and if she bushwhacked onto the trail I would probably have noticed that track.

When we see something, our brains aren’t recording it like a video camera. The image on the retina is converted into a nerve signal to the brain. The brain interprets what the nerve signal means based on past experiences, and preconceived ideas. If you don’t recognize what you are seeing, the brain may interpret it as something it isn’t. In other words if you believe in ghosts, you are more likely to interpret an ambiguous sight as a ghost.

Back in the 80s, the AT was routed through an old cemetery in the Cumberland Valley (PA). I tell you the truth, it gave me the chills every time I walked though it.

Oh I think the Shenny's could compete for the most haunted place... in the 30's hundreds of people were forcibly removed from shacks in the backcountry. Many died. Reading their stories is heartwrenching. Read the biography of Mr Corbin of PATC Corbin cabin fame (a small distance off the AT). His wife died on the upstairs floor, where many hikers and visitors now sleep. I've stayed there many times since the 1970's... https://www.patc.net/PATC/Cabins/Ind...ns/Corbin.aspx

I think if you could see markers at all the places people have died in North America since the first people arrived, you’d probably be very surprised at all the markers. Yet, most ‘supernatural’ sightings/feelings seem to occur where the person affected already knew someone had died there.

Are they glitch in the matrix (DeJa'Vu) or just leftover from a past version

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3
++ New Posts ++