WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Default Have to do 15 min talk on AT to Rotary Club, any ideas?

So I think I can handle talking. But what should I talk about.. What should be my angle.. They say you can only make two points during a fifteen min period.. I am thinking about talking about living out your dream. Anyway if anyone has any input here it would be appreciated..

Talk about Benton MacKaye's vision. What it means to you.

talk about how the AT facilitates positive experiences for people. not just finding out about yourself and gaining confidence, but how all the amazing social interactions often leave hikers with a renewed faith in humanity. oh, and benton mackaye's vision is also a good thing to talk about.

Images

Quote Originally Posted by hopefulhiker View Post
    So I think I can handle talking. But what should I talk about.. What should be my angle.. They say you can only make two points during a fifteen min period.. I am thinking about talking about living out your dream. Anyway if anyone has any input here it would be appreciated..
    Been to a zillion Rotary meetings, and every speaker talks about "vision", theirs or others. If you want to capture them, though, show them something, such as:

(1) "I use trekking poles because..." Most will never have seen real trekking poles, and some will think they're like XC skiing poles (yeah, we know their not). Tell a bunch of (mainly) older white guys that using them saves your knees, helps you move, and are fun to use for other things (lightning rods, tent poles, fishing) and they'll laugh and remember you.

(2) "200 Days Of Noodles." Show a few examples of what you'll be eating (compare it to the Rotary Lunch...classically chicken/peas/mashed potatos!) and how it's healthy, low fat, and nowhere near enough calories ("Yesssss...we live for CHEESEBURGERS in trail towns!").

(3) "Bears? What Bears?" Everyone is convinced the AT is as remote as the Amazon (or as it used to be). Show them it's a big path (big map!) close to a lot of places they go to and that they can visit too. It's wild enough to be enjoyable, but not to worry about being eaten by bears (they only eat base camping tourists).

The Weasel
    "Thank God! there is always a Land of Beyond, For us who are true to the trail..." --- Robert Service

Default How about "learning to live with less"

How about talking about how the Trail teaches you do do more with less? Our spirit-deadening culture of over-consumerism is a big topic of interest these days.

You could compare (with a lot of humor too, which is great at a presentation) the contents of a thru-hiker's pack at the start and again at the end.

Or, discuss how hikers eventually learn that a good attitude is more valuable than all the fancy expensive gear in the world.

Just some thoughts. Let us know what you decide and how the talk goes!

I do a lot of public speaking. Here's my tip for you. STart the talk by spending 5 minutes relating an interesting personal story from your hike. Something that will transport them to the trail, and have them get a sense of who you are, and what the experience meant to you. Then transition into making your points, whatever they are. If you do the first part correctly, you'll have them eating out of your hand.

If I were you, I would try and get across to your audience how important is is for them to take a young person for a hike. Be it their son/daughter or grandson/grandaughter, or niece/nephew, or their neighbor's kid. It will get them off of their duffs, and get them talking about your presentation when they get home.

Good luck!

I'm doing a Rotary gig in a couple of weeks as well. I usually do the normal slideshow routine, but this time I'm going to throw in something about risk (taking off into the unknown, taking chances in the face of the safety net of real job, etc)

Registered User Frolicking Dinosaurs's Avatar
    Images

Having seen several of Jeff's presentations, I have to say he knows how to do an interesting presentation. I like the idea of bring out the vision, how it became a reality and how important it is to keep the trail. Children are our future so Jeff's idea goes well with that.

I like Mowgli's take, Hopeful. Whatever it is you do, don't make it about yourself, your vision is irrelevant, it's about what vision you can wake up in others

A sermon, delivered last June, by moi. FWIW. Timed for delivery in exactly 15 minutes, in fact. About Benton, wilderness, blah blah.

Go with Mowgli's idea.

Quote Originally Posted by terrapin_too View Post
    A sermon, delivered last June, by moi.
    I don't see how your swipe at Inhofe, however deserved, fits into this presentation.

Go smelly, set up your tent, and light your alcohol stove and make some tea, then walk over to the north west corner and pee.
    Actions speak louder than words.

Very funny MaxNathy, lol, just like ol times!

Quote Originally Posted by MOWGLI16 View Post
    I don't see how your swipe at Inhofe, however deserved, fits into this presentation.

Inhofe deserves a serious swipe. But I didn't deliver it well in the sermon. Point I was trying to make is that ancient sprituality generally encompassed reverence or at least respect for the earth. I wanted to contrast that with Inhofe's rabid and perverse form of Christianity, which shows nothing but scorn for the earth. The good news is, Inhofe's chairmanship is over.

Images

Quote Originally Posted by maxNcathy View Post
    Go smelly, set up your tent, and light your alcohol stove and make some tea, then walk over to the north west corner and pee.
    Actions speak louder than words.
    Tooo funny. Almost spewed my drink. LOLOL thanks for the laugh.
    "It was on the first of May, in the year 1769, that I resigned my domestic happiness for a time, and left my family and peaceable habitation on the Yadkin River, in North Carolina, to wander through the wilderness of America." - Daniel Boone

Quote Originally Posted by Lilredmg View Post
    Tooo funny. Almost spewed my drink. LOLOL thanks for the laugh.
    That was actually PERFECT!

TREE-HUGGER GA-ME 92' TREE-HUGGER's Avatar

I'v done close to 100 A.T. talks over the last 15 years ranging from 15 mins to an entire 3 hour show. And I can promise you it will be 15 minutes of questions. Just give them 3 mins of trail stats and what you did and open it up for questions. This will cut down on your prep time and they have tons of the usual questions that are so easy to answer. Even when I do a 3 hour show on the A.T. and all of my equipment displayed and demonstrated all I do is pick raised hands the entire time. 15 mins will go by fast.

Tree Hugger:

While your suggestion might work for some audiences, many Rotary Clubs (and other civic groups) have an expectation that they will receive a presentation of a particular length.

I would agree some time should be left for Q&A.

Good ideas, so far.

Just don't talk politics.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
++ New Posts ++