Page 6 of 24 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 16 ... LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by teblum View Post
    Bump Jumper,

After returning from the week hike, I began to go to the local high school and climbing the football field stands. Doing this with a 30 pound pack approximated the actual trail.
    Wonderfull idea! I'm going to get started today.
    Last edited by dixicritter; 08-05-2007 at 11:56. Reason: fixed the coding

Quote Originally Posted by teblum View Post
    Bump Jumper,

I too live in Florida. While not overweight by any stretch of imagination, I found the actual trail to be beyond hard, in spite of walking five miles a day in preparation.

After returning from the week hike, I began to go to the local high school and climbing the football field stands. Doing this with a 30 pound pack approximated the actual trail.

Mine arena is 50 feet high. You can get a feel for what the real deal is like.

It WILL be very hard at first, but a time or two each week, and adding a pack after you get more fit will have you reaching the trail ready to hike and without suprises.

Miles of Smiles
    Tom

Thanks for a great idea!
    Last edited by dixicritter; 08-05-2007 at 11:58. Reason: fixed the coding

i lost 50 pounds over the past year, partly due to a lifestyle change regarding what i eat, but mostly due to activity. hiking is totally friendly to extra pounds...at first-- then the extra pounds start disappearing!

Images

Just decided to add to this thread now because I've been so embarrased about my weight. On Monday I start a new, low stress, less time consuming job (although I'll be sitting on my butt). So now is the time to stop dying going up hills and worrying about how slow and how few miles I can walk. Some days the kids and I are going to ride bikes to drop them off at school - the teens on their own and the little ones pulled in a bike trailer. Other days I'll drive them and use the walking trail next to the school, as well as the football stadium steps. I've already stopped buying junk food (much to my husband's chagrin), and don't eat anything less than two hours before bed. Hopefully by the time we can take another section hike I'll be in much better shape. I've also promised myself a cute little feminine hiking outfit from LL Bean when I've dropped the 70 pounds I need to lose.

Images

I just got back today. Had a blast.
    I dont know that I could jog up and down bleechers but a 2 mile walk in the evening will have to do for now.
    I am excited about hiking. I bought my first hiking sticks while up at Neels Gap. They are supposed to be the lightest and the best. Whatever that is..they sure were expensive.....
    Tom, where in Fla do you live? I am in CF.
    I am going to check out those other sites for clothing. I just may find something.

Images

Can someone please post websites for clothing. And if you know they are for the larger gals...that would be even greater. Thanks.

There are several threads in this forum that have links in them specifically for plus sized women, here's a few...

http://www.whiteblaze.net/forum/showthread.php?t=17625

http://www.whiteblaze.net/forum/showthread.php?t=15629

http://www.whiteblaze.net/forum/showthread.php?t=10615

Hope that helps a little bit. Maybe some other folks will have some other links for you too.

Images

Quote Originally Posted by BumpJumper View Post
    I just got back today. Had a blast.
    I dont know that I could jog up and down bleechers but a 2 mile walk in the evening will have to do for now.
    I am excited about hiking. I bought my first hiking sticks while up at Neels Gap. They are supposed to be the lightest and the best. Whatever that is..they sure were expensive.....
    Tom, where in Fla do you live? I am in CF.
    I am going to check out those other sites for clothing. I just may find something.
    Bumpjumper, you can just hike up and down Mt Dora. LOL Haven't you seen the sign for the Highlands of Mt Dora. On the sign there is a picture of a mountain range (the FL Appalachians I guess). In Gainesville, we have FL field aka The Swamp" and if you walk from the bottom to the top (it's great because it has ramps and stairs and bleacher seats) it's about 6 stories. (Didn't mean to depress you TN fans so early in the morn. So sorry Ms Dino.)

Images

Oh Geez Gary. I never new we had a MT. DORA. I have climbed it. What about Sugarloaf Mountain...now that is a big one for Florida.....

Images

Oh Geez Gary. I never new we had a MT. DORA. I have climbed it. What about Sugarloaf Mountain...now that is a big one for Florida.....
    There is Alachua mountain just west of Gainesville at the end of Millhopper Road.

Images

Ok, I am new to this hiking thing. Trailtalker got me into it. I want to know how hard this is going to be for an overweight woman to do.
    No fat jokes ok.....
    I aint morbidly obese but I carry alot of extra weight.

i need to drop a few lbs myself neo

you could always switch to lite beer

Images

Taildragger check your messages

Images

Listen up ladies! Don't let anyone or anything stop the love of the hike! With that said I highly suggest looking at REI for the "big boned" women of the world, like myself. They have convertible pants, wicking shirts, shorts, and more for larger women. I, fortunately, am loosing weight, but got a lot of clothes from them in the past. Not all women in the world are 5'6 and 110lbs like these certain companies make us out to be-example: size XL is really S! Keep up the hiking! Keep on hiking on!

Addicted Hiker and Donating Member Hammock Hanger's Avatar
    Images

As you know I too am a BIG BONED lady... it don't stop me!!
    Hammock Hanger -- Life is my journey and I'm surely not rushing to the "summit"...:D

http://www.gcast.com/u/hammockhanger/main

Images

I know most Americans are overweight but that doesnt excuse us.

Trailtalker just got back from a three week hike in AT VA.
    I was so jealous. I cant wait to get to that point.
    Thanks to all of you who have been a BIG encouragement. Yall are great.
    I live in Fla so I have only flatlands to walk. Occassionally, we will find an incline

Yes this is an older thread but had it not been so long, I would not have gotten everything out of it.

I will have to try LLBeans. I cannot find anything my size (18)
    I have even been looking for kayaking clothing and cant find any of that as well.
    I leave for GA mountains tomorrow morning and will be kayaking the Nantahala on Thursday so I was looking for some splash clothing.
    So far my feet are ok, but I did have knees aches and pains. Like needles in them. What is that about.
    BumpJumper, my wife is also heavy and has always had trouble finding clothes for the outdoors. Try Cabela's - she was able to go into the "new" store in Hamburg, Pa. and buy stuff right off the rack!

Ok, I am new to this hiking thing. Trailtalker got me into it. I want to know how hard this is going to be for an overweight woman to do.
    No fat jokes ok.....
    I aint morbidly obese but I carry alot of extra weight.
    Ladies please remember some in-shape hikers may not wish to hike with anyone they deem a health risk to themselves. They also may feel slowed down. If asked about your "size" if/when you attempt to locate a hiking partner by "Private Messaging" It's not always meant as "hitting" on you.
    I just got reported to attrol by an unknown person who first contacted me about hiking. I was accused of this very thing for asking this person's (not so sure it was female) dress size (I would ask pants size if a male wanting to hike). I explained I do discriminate (even if they are currently a one-ton gold metal Olympic marathon runner, I'm not taking the chance). And I realize other health issues could be happening with a skinny hiker. I've already had a very bad experience with an overweight hiking partner and refuse to let it happen again. PS: I don't blindly PM others about "getting together". If I don't know you, it's not happening.

Hi all,

I don't know if it's been mentioned on here yet, but for any woman within striking distance of the Georgia mountains, you might want to check out the Atlanta-based Trail Dames

I just spent a most excellent weekend at the Len Foote Hike Inn with these awesome women as their guest speaker, and I believe I got the better end of the deal. We laughed all weekend, and ate very well!

Founded by my '03 buddy "MudButt," Anna Huthmaker of Atlanta, this group originated as a safe springboard to assist curvy, nature-loving women in getting into the woods and hiking, camping, even backpacking. They do educational, low-mileage days with an emphasis on having a good time.

But due to Anna's ebullient and positive ways - truly, she is a force of nature, and anyone in a rotten mood around Anna has only themselves to blame - other women asked to join in the excursions. So now it's open to any woman who wants to get into the woods and hike with friends. And at various times, they invite their "Trail Dudes" along for activities.

In any case, for any woman who wants to learn to get along comfortably and safely hiking in the mountains, on day hikes and overnights, check out their schedule and email Anna. I don't know that she has posted past December, but whatever she comes up with, I know it will be a good time. You can be a rank novice, and will be embraced.

Though they are Atlanta-based, I came from mid-NC to hang with them.

http://www.traildames.com/ is the website. Anna does this for love, not money. It's not commercial, just a gal with a big sense of fun and a mission to get more women out into the woods. I know I'll be joining them again, perhaps for a sectioning "thru-hike" of the Foothills Trail.

From the website:
    "It is a group of women that know that all of the
    sweat and shortness of breath is meaningless when
    you are surrounded by the laughter of friends.
    This group hikes slowly, enjoying
    every second because we know that the
    journey is 99% of the fun. When it comes
    to that final destination though,...you will
    find us doing a rousing chorus of the
    "Dance of the Real Woman" as we
    celebrate the life that is in us all."

Last edited by Jan LiteShoe; 12-05-2007 at 11:28. Reason: spillink
    "The Ordinary Adventurer"
    http://www.FunFreedom.com

1,630 miles and counting earlyriser26's Avatar
    Images

You can hike at pretty much any weight. You just can't keep up with people doing 20+ miles. You can go slow and take beaks and 8 to 12 miles are within most peoples reach. I'm soaked climbing a flight of stairs, but I can do a hike with 3,000 ft climbs if i take my time. Think 1.5 MPH vs. 3MPH and you will be fine.
    There are so many miles and so many mountains between here and there that it is hardly worth thinking about

Very few people are at their ideal bodyweight, most Americans are over, many are underweight. I would think a woman 20# overweight would be better able to hike than a scrawny underweight person, 'cause she's used to carrying a little weight around. The heavier you are however, the more likely you are to damage connective tissue in your knees, ankles, and feet (esp the plantar facia in your arch).

So, don't overdo the mileage, maybe start with day hikes and make sure you have well fitted footgear, socks, insoles. Get on a healthy diet on and off trail for the rest of your life and realize that daily exercise is essential for health and prioritize it.

Page 6 of 24 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 16 ... LastLast
++ New Posts ++