WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

27 days till my thru hike

Default little help please

when is the best time to start a north bound thru-hike march or april?

mid march to mid april--can't go wrong nobo

The earlier you start, the more likely you are to have some very cold weather and/or snow and ice storms. You may have snow storms in May - but you will probably have at least one if you start in March. (Though given the way this winter has been going - who knows? 73 degrees in January?!)

Starting in April gives you plenty of time to get to Katahdin before October 15.

Quote Originally Posted by Spirit Walker View Post
    (Though given the way this winter has been going - who knows? 73 degrees in January?!)
    It never got up to 73* here today in Atlanta. Far from it!

It realy doesn't matter anymore. It can be done at any time in between. The traditional time was early april, as people tried to avoid crowds a second mass start time of early march was started. Eventhough early march is supposed to give you more cold weather, in 2002 the first and only bit of snow on my march 10 start date was in mid Va, so not everything follows the rules.
    TB
    Madness does not always howl. Sometimes, it is the quiet voice at the end of the day saying, "Hey, is there room in your head for one more?"

Quote Originally Posted by backpackingcrazy View Post
    when is the best time to start a north bound thru-hike march or april?
    April 1st is best

I agree, April 1st. We had 75 degrees here in PA yesterday. (i think winter will hit in March this year)

Default It does'nt matter

I'am starting March 15 ,,,, weather you leave March or April it does not matter because you will still have to take the same amount of gear. Everyone has told me you will have some of the same cold nights and possible snow In march April and May.,, so what's the difference.. when you leave???? Personal after finaly getting the chance to do this I can barely wait to March to leave.. Let alone have to wait another month to leave... On a personal note I like hiking hiking the 5000 foot moutains in GA,NC,TN, in cooler weather with less bugs it's just more comfortable...
    "LOVED OR HATED, BUT NEVER IGNORED"

Journal Entries
    Images

To avoid the crowds, I would start during the 2nd week of April (during the week, not on the weekend). It will still be busy, but probably not as much so...

No matter when you start, you will likely experience cold weather (either down south or up north as you finish). The earlier you start, however, probably increases the chance you will see snow (think warm happy thoughts) somewhere...

See you on the trail,
    mt squid

I started on April 10th and wished I would have started a bit sooner like the middle to end of March. You also might want to take in consideration when you might be getting into Baxter St. Park. Sooner is better IMO.
    a.k.a CHOP-CHOP

I started March 4th, and the weather was pretty good. I had snow in the smokies and one blizzard on Max Patch, but that kind of weather didn't last very long. It was nice not to have to deal with as much really hot weather (i'll take cold over heat when hiking any day). It would have been nice, however, to catch spring in the smokies, just for the show. I totally missed all the mountain laurel blossoms etc. Still, if I had to do it again, I wouldn't start later than mid march. It's really all personal preference and time constraints (I had to finish by Sept.) though.
    "You were once wild here. Don't let them tame you."

I would have started earlier in March if I had a chance. "March Forth"

In 2000 I was going to start on March 4th, but pushed it back to April 1st because I was afraid of the weather. Most of March was gorgeous that year. April was a big mess in Georgia. Go figure.

I fear it doesn't matter. . .but if you're a slow hiker start earlier.

++ New Posts ++