WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Default Harrison's Pierce Pond Camps

Thinking about using the road to Harrison's Pierce Pond Camps in Maine as a spot to leave a car for a shuttle. Would this be a feasable thing to do? Is it a decent road to drive in on?

It's a gravel road but well-maintained. Not a problem with a family car.

Warwick, NY - 3 miles from Wildcat Shelter on AT
    Images

I placed a car at what was called Main Logging Road for two dayhikes: One was from Caratunk to the logging road and then the next day from Main Logging Road to East Flagstaff Road. This was 9/30/04 & 10/1/04.
    Aaron

Quote Originally Posted by nanillac View Post
    Thinking about using the road to Harrison's Pierce Pond Camps in Maine as a spot to leave a car for a shuttle. Would this be a feasable thing to do? Is it a decent road to drive in on?
    to WhiteBlaze!
    Get yourself a Maine Gazetteer from Delorme. You can park right at Harrison's for a small fee, there's not really room for a car at the trail crossing if I remember right.
    Teej

"[ATers] represent three percent of our use and about twenty percent of our effort," retired Baxter Park Director Jensen Bissell.

Depending on the winter and spring thaw/rain, this road can be a little bumpy at times for a passenger vehicle. Of the fifteen or so times I have driven it, there have been two times that I have had to park about 1 mile short of the actual trail crossing due to road erosion.
    No need to pay a fee to park at Harrison's since there is limited, but seldom used, parking at the trail crossing and more trailhead parking (unsigned) a few hundred yards past the trail crossing.
    As a matter of fact, if one wants to day hike the entire Maine section of the AT (except for the first 14.6 miles north of the NH/ME border which poses logistic problems), it is possible to do this without paying any fees with the proper strategy. This all depends on how strongly you feel about paying fees to private corporations to walk on a public trail.
    When I have time, I plan to start a "How to Day Hike the 100-mile Wilderness' thread.
    Happy free trails!
    Warren Doyle PhD
    34,000-miler (and counting)
    [email protected]
    www.warrendoyle.com

Images

That road all the way up to Harrison's was awful last year especially with the logging trucks coming down the opposite side.

Call Tim ahead of time and arrange for his famous pancake breakfast. Yum!
    Happy Lifetime Sectioner!

Quote Originally Posted by warren doyle View Post
    "How to Day Hike the 100-mile Wilderness' thread.
    Happy free trails!
    can't wait for that and the ensuing huffing and puffing from the usual peanut gallery.

As a matter of fact, if one wants to day hike the entire Maine section of the AT (except for the first 14.6 miles north of the NH/ME border which poses logistic problems), it is possible to do this without paying any fees with the proper strategy. This all depends on how strongly you feel about paying fees to private corporations to walk on a public trail.

Happy free trails!
    Warren:

What purpose does the above post serve - other than to stir things up? Do you derive pleasure from watching the fish that rise to your bait?

MOWGLI16,

Since this is supposed to be the 'information superhighway', I know there are people out there who would like to know that one can day hike the 100-mile Wilderness if they want to. I will provide both 'regular' and 'philosophically creative' logistics for the 'obedient' and the 'questioning' respectively.

I don't question your passion/commitment/competency in providing information on the 'western' AT alternative.

Is there only certain people that should be allowed to share their passion/commitment/competency about the AT on this website?

As you already know, I'm not in a 'safe, popularity' contest here.

Bait is in the eyes of the beholder. I see no 'can of worms' here.
    I'm not into 'hooking' people. I'm just into providing additional information to help people realize there are choices.
    Warren Doyle PhD
    34,000-miler (and counting)
    [email protected]
    www.warrendoyle.com

Aaaaaaanyway, back to the Harrison's/Pierce Pond question. When I came off the trail onto the gravel road this summer I took a left instead of going straight and found myself after a few hundred yards at Harrisons and met the owner who was one of the most pleasant and helpful people on the trail. He filled me up with ice cold water, a couple great stories and sent me off feeling better about an already glorious day on the AT. Great Place and I may even plan for a night there when I head SOBO this June.

Back on topic:
    WhiteBlaze member Aaron/Askus3 is well known for his great Maine AT trip reports that focus on short day hikes and car spotting.
    His site has a very detailed parking/access section, here's what he has regarding nanillac's question:
    http://rohland.homedns.org/at/state/...&sectionID=103
    Teej

"[ATers] represent three percent of our use and about twenty percent of our effort," retired Baxter Park Director Jensen Bissell.

I have heard nothing other than good about
    the man, and what a place! Pierce Pond!
    WALK ON

Quote Originally Posted by woodsy View Post
    I have heard nothing other than good about
    the man, and what a place! Pierce Pond!
    Exactly! Take the short detour. Meet the man. Enjoy Harrison's. One of Maine's best kept secrets. Harrisons at Pierce Pond.

Quote Originally Posted by warraghiyagey View Post
    Exactly! Take the short detour. Meet the man. Enjoy Harrison's.
    Absolutely!
    http://www.whiteblaze.net/forum/vbg/...&imageuser=314
    Teej

Teej, thanks for the photos.

MOWGLI16,

Since this is supposed to be the 'information superhighway', I know there are people out there who would like to know that one can day hike the 100-mile Wilderness if they want to. I will provide both 'regular' and 'philosophically creative' logistics for the 'obedient' and the 'questioning' respectively.

I don't question your passion/commitment/competency in providing information on the 'western' AT alternative.

Is there only certain people that should be allowed to share their passion/commitment/competency about the AT on this website?

As you already know, I'm not in a 'safe, popularity' contest here.

Bait is in the eyes of the beholder. I see no 'can of worms' here.
    I'm not into 'hooking' people. I'm just into providing additional information to help people realize there are choices.
    FYI: most people on this website seem to be more interested in backpacking than mere hiking.

Harrison's was great: the owner, the pancakes, and the swarm of hummingbirds.

Quote Originally Posted by Appalachian Tater View Post
    FYI: most people on this website seem to be more interested in backpacking than mere hiking.

Harrison's was great: the owner, the pancakes, and the swarm of hummingbirds.
    Depending on the person one is not better than the other and we shouldn't be made to feel that way by people who would like us to. What's the point of the word mere. Mere hiking is how I prepped for the trail and I LOVED it. Anyone else who is merely hiking should be able to also without judgement from outsiders.

Quote Originally Posted by nanillac View Post
    Back to the question, when? do you plan on hiking? The season could make a difference whether or not you can drive all the way in.
    WALK ON

Default Planning on hiking in July.

Will be hiking during the first of July.

I went through there at the beginning of July last summer and the roads were fine and there were a couple cars at Harrison's. I'm sure you could work something out with him to leave your car there. He is a very friendly person

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
++ New Posts ++