WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Default Long Term Injuries from Thru Hiking

Hi

As I was pondering thru hiking last night I began to think about the possibility/percentage of people who have any long term/over use injuries that might arise due to a thru hike.

What made me think of this is my b/f has bad hips, back and knees due to several summers he spent tree planting in his 20's as due most of his friends that planted with him. I would like to avoid causing myself any chronic pain later in life.

So any of you past thru hikers have any over use, chronic pain that you can attribute to thru hiking? If so, anyone have recommendations for the best way to avoid injuries?

Thanks

just mental problems

Donating Member/AT Class of 2003 - The WET year
    Images

[quote=hiker_sue;300863]
    So any of you past thru hikers have any over use, chronic pain that you can attribute to thru hiking? If so, anyone have recommendations for the best way to avoid injuries?

==================================

The pads on the base of all my toes on both feet "tingle" now and then since my hike in 2003. Feel it mostly when I stand in the shower and curl my toes under. Not something that stops me from doing anything I want ...but definitely something that resulted from my thru.

Not sure how I could have avoided it and I don't have any specific recommendations for future hikers in that regard. But I will offer this for what it's worth ....TAKE CARE OF YOUR FEET !! Don't ignore them.

I had some pretty tall challenges to overcome during my thru but by far the two most important body/health lessons I learned were HYDRATION and FOOT CARE !!

'Slogger
    The more I learn ...the more I realize I don't know.

Images

Quote Originally Posted by L. Wolf View Post
    just mental problems
    Would those be the effect of thru-hiking, or the cause?

Getting out as much as I can..which is never enough. :) Mags's Avatar

My knees are showing a little bit of wear; but I think they ar e better now. I think all the road walking I did at the end of my last hike did not help.

I'm only 32, so knows what PHYSICAL long term damage I've done.

Now, as LW said, mental damage is another story!
    Paul "Mags" Magnanti
    http://pmags.com
    Twitter: @pmagsco
    Facebook: pmagsblog

The true harvest of my life is intangible...a little stardust caught,a portion of the rainbow I have clutched -Thoreau

Registered User Frolicking Dinosaurs's Avatar
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by L. Wolf View Post
    just mental problems
    You can't blame that on the trail

Unless your BF has something like a disease that is causing his joints to deteriorate or spinal injuries, the chances of hikng causing him any additional long-term joint or ortho problems are pretty slim.

You are going to need to get in shape to hike anyway so why not start doing that. It will become apparent as you train if you or your BF have a condition that needs medical attention or is worsened by getting in shape. Most problems are helped by getting into shape.

Quote Originally Posted by hiker_sue View Post
    If so, anyone have recommendations for the best way to avoid injuries?

Just this thought... walk at your own speed. If you're tired, slow down, take a break, or quit for the day. Lots of injuries happen when folks are tired. (Same is true for sports like skiing.) I don't walk fast, but I walk safe. Knock wood, and all that.

Journal Entries

Quote Originally Posted by hiker_sue View Post
    Hi
    As I was pondering thru hiking last night I began to think about the possibility/percentage of people who have any long term/over use injuries that might arise due to a thru hike.
    What made me think of this is my b/f has bad hips, back and knees due to several summers he spent tree planting in his 20's as due most of his friends that planted with him. I would like to avoid causing myself any chronic pain later in life.
    So any of you past thru hikers have any over use, chronic pain that you can attribute to thru hiking? If so, anyone have recommendations for the best way to avoid injuries?Thanks
    When in 1992 at age 63 I asked my doctor if there was any reason why I shouldn't go to Georgia and walk home, he answered "no, it's one of the best things you could possibly do." I was specifically worried about my knees, which had given me problems off and on for years. "No problem," he said, "the longer you walk, the stronger they will get."

Nothing since has indicated he was wrong.

Weary

I was recently diagnosed with the earliest stages of osteoarthritis at 28 yrs old. I was 24 when I hiked. I beleive its related to my bowed legs. It could also be related to my many miles on a bike. There is no ways to prove it was related to my thru-hike at all. With that being said, if I would get another opportunity to hike it again, I would do it again, even though I know I have slightly damaged knees.
    TB
    Madness does not always howl. Sometimes, it is the quiet voice at the end of the day saying, "Hey, is there room in your head for one more?"

Captain Fantastic's sidekick soad's Avatar
    Images

I lost both my big toe nails on Katahdin in mid-september, they are just about grown in now, four months later.
    “Back in the day, when the emperor or the king or whatever waged war, they went to war, too. But that's been lost in time.” DM

I know of almost nobody who has developed chronic pain or infirmity from just one thru-hike.

However, unless you have the discipline to carry a lightweight backpack, I do not suggest you do this seven years consecutively.

your feet will increase in size

++ New Posts ++