WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
    Images

Default Walnut Mt Shelter

Just 1.8 miles past Roaring fork Shelter for north bounders. Real nice Privy, water is a bit of a walk, looks to be fairly reliable. Shelter is tiny, (5 person?) but I detected no signs of leaking. On the signs at Roaring Fork Shelter and at Deer Park shelter, "Next shelter 11 miles" not mentioning the Walnut Mt shelter. I spent a comfortable, quiet night there alone, possibly due to the signs
    I saw a few nice tent sites a few 100 yards South of the shelter, and a real good stream in that same distance.

Default Walnut Mtn Shelter

Very small shelter . We hiked further north and found great campsites about 1/4 mile from the summit of Bluff Mtn. There are plenty of good tent sites from Bluff Mtn Derr Park Mtn Shelter.

Images

We passed it up. We left Hot Spring that morning and if my estimations were correct it was 13 miles from Hot Springs. We pushed another 7 or so miles to the summit of Max Patch, determined to make it there to see the sunset. I'd do it again, just to see that sunset, then the stars, then the sunrise the next morning.

It was a very small shelter compared ot the others we saw on our section hike (except maybe Cable Gap, which was also small and in nowhere near as decent shape). It did have a shiny new roof though.
    "If trees could talk, would we be so cavalier about cutting them down? Maybe....if they screamed all the time, and for no good reason" - Jack Handey

Images

Lightbulb NEW Roaring Fork Shelter (Nov '05)

I just heard from the ATC that a new Roaring Fork Shelter has been completed and the old one either has been or is slated for being torn down.

The new Roaring Fork Shelter is 8.2 miles from the Groundhog Creek Shelter.

I'll take pics next week on our hike and post 'em.

RainMan

[I]ye shall not pollute the land wherein ye are: ... Defile not therefore the land which ye shall inhabit....[/I]. Numbers 35

[url]www.MeetUp.com/NashvilleBackpacker[/url]

Images

This shelter was supposed to have been torn down long age. Don't know why it escaped, but glad it did. I didn't stay there though. I went on to Deer Park.

GA-VA 2005, VA-CT 2007, CT-ME ??
    Images

Yes, a small one for only 5 or 6, but there is some camping room around. The roof is solid, but the walls and floors have cracks that will let breezes through, especially with all the wind that comes swooping up the valley nearby.
    -Mark

Images

I just finished a hike past walnut shelter. Just when Ineeded water! The water supply there has been dried up. They are clearing the entire area! I read in the log that its to restore part of the bluff...does anyone know more about this?.

Images

Lightbulb

Quote Originally Posted by ajmack
    ... They are clearing the entire area! I read in the log that its to restore part of the bluff...does anyone know more about this?.
    There's a whole thread on WhiteBlaze discussing the clear-cutting on Walnut Mountain. Can't say where the thread is off the top of my head, but perhaps a search will turn it up for you. It was about a month or two ago.

RainMan

[I]ye shall not pollute the land wherein ye are: ... Defile not therefore the land which ye shall inhabit....[/I]. Numbers 35

Just got back from a three day hike. Stayed at Walnut Mtn shelter first nite. Great tentsites just a short walk just behind the shelter with good views. Water is available down a blue blazed trail at the edge of the clear cut area. Have to climb over some downed trees to get to it and it was a muddy walk but plenty of water. It had just rained so maybe not so good in dry times.

So, they're leaving Walnut Mountain Shelter up? That's excellent if so - I've stayed there before, and would like to again on a trip later this month.

Images

Quote Originally Posted by mikecordes
    Very small shelter . We hiked further north and found great campsites about 1/4 mile from the summit of Bluff Mtn. There are plenty of good tent sites from Bluff Mtn Derr Park Mtn Shelter.
    yeah but most hikers are to dependent on shelters,they are afraid of getting their tent wet neo

Images

Question

Quote Originally Posted by The Alethiometrists
    So, they're leaving Walnut Mountain Shelter up? That's excellent if so - I've stayed there before, and would like to again on a trip later this month.
    I'm re-reading Walking With Spring and Earl Shaffer writes that he stayed at Walnut Mountain Shelter and was glad to see it. I wonder if it's the same structure today. When my wife and I stopped there briefly last Thanksgiving, it looked as if it might be 60 years old!

RainMan

Images

Default Shelter and water question

I am planning a hike and need to know if this shelter is still there and how's the water flowing this time of year?

I know down here in 'bama it has been miserably dry.

I stayed at Walnut Mountain Shelter last week - It's in fine shape, with a new roof courtesy of the local AT club. (Thanks for that!) The weather was wonderful - so cool we needed flannel shirts first thing in the morning. Vastly cooler than back home on the Piedmont.

There's a clearcut very close to the shelter that the AT goes right through. It's supposed to be part of some sort of bald restoration, but so far it just looks like a clearcut.

Images

3 of us stayed at Walnut Mtn shelter on Aug. 9th during a Max Patch to Hot Springs hike. It kept us dry during a storm, but the sleeping platform has big gaps in it and is not level. There are several nice campsites on a side trail that leads up the hill behind the shelter.
    The privy was fine, but the spring wasn't so good.
    Two of us got stung by yellowjackets while hiking across the clearcut area. The flowers were blooming then and were covered with more bees and yellowjackets than I've ever seen in one place.
    :)}
    Hans

Images

Was there this weekend on a section hike - Allen Gap to Davenport Gap. The water source was non exisitient where you are directed to look for it. If you go further down the bulldozer path 1/4mile you will hear the stream on your left. Bushwhack through the briars and fallen timber (this was at night) and there was a trickle enough to fill my water bag. If you continue down the trail for a 1/2 mile there is a good water source from a stream that is easier to access.

Still there, but water wasn't.

Default Walnut Mountain Shelter

Great photo of the shelter. I helped put the new roof on. Two of us were crawling around on those ancient rafters (poles) because we were skinny and lightweight do so. Good to know it is holding up!

Default Shelter

that's "lightweight enough to do so."

Images

I just finished a section hike south from Sam's Gap to Standing Bear. Pretty much everyone we passed within 30 miles of this shelter either told or asked us about the bear situation @ Walnut Mountain Shelter (and the lack of water between Little Laurel and Jerry's Cabin)

Apparently many people have had their stuff yanked by bears. We met a couple a few days before at the Little Laurel Shelter who told us they had a lot of their food and supplies taken away. However, we saw how they were hanging their food, and it was rather low.

When we finally got to the shelter, the register had many entries from people losing their stuff (food, jetboils, etc), but there were some more recent ones that said they hung correctly and didn't have a problem.

Also, we heard stories about someone who was hammocking around here, and got bothered by a bear. He had to yell for an hour or something before the bear finally realized there was no food there.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
++ New Posts ++