WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    Images

Default Cosby Knob Shelter

The "Next to last shelter" in the Smokies for Northbounders. I visited this shelter in 2000, when it still had the bear cage front, and NO privy. finding a "clean" place to dig a cat hole was an, , , adventure. I'm happy to report that the cage is down, and a new Mouldering privy is in place
    When I was there in 2000, it was a fairly dry time yet the spring was flowing nicely. There are 2 sets of "bear cables" for hanging your food (2 hooks each set). And the shelter is just a few dozen yards from the AT.

Some day I will stay at this shelter without forgetting something in the morning, I have now climbed from the gap to the shelter 3 times, twice to retrieve forgotten gear

I read in Wingfoot's guide there's a family of skunks that visit this shelter. Any sightings this year?

Default Cobbs Corner in Early April

Cobbs Corner was a welcome sight after battling high winds, deep snow at the higher elevations.
    The water source was close by. The latrine was in place and there was a tarp covering the front blocking out the frigid wind.
    Found it to my liking much better than Peck's.

Default Closed!!!

As of 7/27/2005, Cosby Knob shelter was closed due to bear activity.

Should be an open season on the sumbitches!

From what I can find on the GSMNP closing info, this shelter is open again. None in my party have been to this shelter before and I'm wondering what kind of shape it's in. Any info from anyone that has been through there recently - rats, critters etc.?

Thanks,
    Riddick

Since Cosby Knob is a relatively short distance from the Big Creek trail ( access via Low Gap trial ) I doubt that the shelter is in bad shape. Shelter access for the Park Service would not be difficult. It is possible to drive to the Low Gap trail junction.

I was there 3 years ago , in Jan , and shelter was in good shape.
    "In the abundance of water the fool is thirsty."...Bob Marley

Spent the night at this shelter last October while getting in another section.
    First there was 3 of us then 5 and before 9 pm the shelter was full. We had a nice fire going in the fireplace. A few mice that night, no skunks. Temps were in the 30s that evening. Everyone had a good time and made new friends.
    One couple was from Norway here on vacation, decided to do an overnight at the shelter. Hiked up from Cosby campground up Low Gap trail.
    If we look at the path, we do not see the sky. We are earth people on a spiritual journey to the stars. Our quest, our earth walk is to look within, to know who we are, to see that we are connected to all things, that there is no separation, only in the mind.
    - Native American, source unknown

Quote Originally Posted by Stoker53
    Since Cosby Knob is a relatively short distance from the Big Creek trail ( access via Low Gap trial ) I doubt that the shelter is in bad shape. Shelter access for the Park Service would not be difficult. It is possible to drive to the Low Gap trail junction.
    Interestingly, the AT shelters in the Great Smoky Mtns National Park are not maintained by the National Park Service. They are maintained by volunteers from the Smoky Mountains Hiking Club, who also maintain the trail itself.

Default Cosby Knob closed?

Any one know of some good campsites nearby Cosby Knob (if it is indeed closed)? And since the GSMNP officials want you to only camp in the shelter, would this be "legal" in their view?

Sky Rider

(walessp)

Images

Default Cosby Knob is Open

As of 9/27/05 Cosby Knob was open for business. It was closed 2 months ago due to bear activity but that has passed. Bears tend to keep moving this time of year. Cosby Knob is my favorite shelter since it is just one day from Mountain Mama's greasy cheeseburgers. mmm...

manzana in Austin
    thru hike 2006

Is the chain link fence still up?

Images

Quote Originally Posted by sliderule
    It was not up last time I was there (see first post). My understanding is that the park service is trying to get away from them all together.

Doctari.
    Curse you Perry the Platypus!

Images

As far as "legal" campsites near Cosby Knob, Bob, the Ridge Runner told me that The Cammerrer Tower was a good place to spend the night. When the rangers haul you off or give you a fine, just tell them "Bob" Said it was OK.

Images

Quote Originally Posted by Walessp
    Any one know of some good campsites nearby Cosby Knob (if it is indeed closed)? And since the GSMNP officials want you to only camp in the shelter, would this be "legal" in their view?

Sky Rider

(walessp)
    You may have to hike down to Walnut Bottoms on the Big Creek Trail or slide down to Cosby and camp there. If ya dont want a fine. Saw a group of College Kids get hammered at Eagle Creek a couple of years ago for having dogs, no backcountry permit and alcohol. The ranger also made them pack up and leave with their fines. He told me afterwards that if he had room on his boat they would have went to jail. Minnick who is the backcountry ranger in Cosby will sneak up there sometimes when you dont expect him to.

Quote Originally Posted by Doctari
    It was not up last time I was there (see first post).
    Okay, I am trying to connect the dots. I suppose that "the cage is down" is to be interpreted to mean that the chain link fence has been removed from the front of the shelter. I get it now.

Images

Okay, I am trying to connect the dots. I suppose that "the cage is down" is to be interpreted to mean that the chain link fence has been removed from the front of the shelter. I get it now.
    You connected that dot just right. The fence is gone!

Images

Default Probably not the best available

But here's a poor photo of Cosby Knob Shelter as it was in October 2003.
    http://www.whiteblaze.net/gallery/sh...sort/1/cat/500
    Uncle Wayne

Quote Originally Posted by Uncle Wayne
    But here's a poor photo of Cosby Knob Shelter as it was in October 2003.
    http://www.whiteblaze.net/gallery/sh...sort/1/cat/500
    Thanks. It would be great if there was a picture of every shelter.

Images

Default Water situation at Cosby Knob

I was at the shelter last week. There has always been a very reliable spring here; a metal pipe which flowed for 30(?) years. It has just stopped flowing unfortunately although there is still a seep under the pipe. I would gladly fix it but it would involve some digging no doubt and I dont know what I am doing. Apparently the pipe has filled with mud or filled with corrosion. The water is much clearer when it comes out of the pipe.

APPLE

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
++ New Posts ++