WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Huts or not?

Images

Default Huts or not?

I'm debating on whether to stay in the AMC huts. What kind of weather can I expect through that area in late July? Would it be in my best interest to sleep indoors?

The reservation system confuses me a bit, too. I've alwasy hear that you need to reserve ahead of time, so I went to the AMC site to check it out. The prices are ridiculous! $87 dollars a night!? Considering what I've heard about them (like thrus not being allowed to eat with the other guests even if they've paid the same) I'm not sure I want to spend that much.

So, should I tent? What if I change my mind...can I walk in and get a bunk?

Quote Originally Posted by VictoriaM View Post
    I'm debating on whether to stay in the AMC huts. What kind of weather can I expect through that area in late July? Would it be in my best interest to sleep indoors?

The reservation system confuses me a bit, too. I've alwasy hear that you need to reserve ahead of time, so I went to the AMC site to check it out. The prices are ridiculous! $87 dollars a night!? Considering what I've heard about them (like thrus not being allowed to eat with the other guests even if they've paid the same) I'm not sure I want to spend that much.

So, should I tent? What if I change my mind...can I walk in and get a bunk?
    If you pay then you eat with other paying guests.

Images

Quote Originally Posted by VictoriaM View Post
    Considering what I've heard about them (like thrus not being allowed to eat with the other guests even if they've paid the same) I'm not sure I want to spend that much.
    If you pay for it you get to eat with the hut dwellers. If you do work for stay you are a second class citizen at some huts, third world trash at others, then the next one you are the crews best friend. I was lucky enough to be soboing through the whites so the nobos gave me the intel on the crews that were not friendly. If you do the work for stay you will sit outside during dinner and eat the leftovers, then sleep on the dinner tables(it is better than in the bunkroom where they snore like chainsaws) all for minimal work. It is not a bad deal at all if the crew doesn't treat you like a bum.

VictoriaM-"So, should I tent? What if I change my mind...can I walk in and get a bunk?"
    There are places in the Whites where you cannot camp, and it could be dangerous to try. The only section where you may have to stay at a hut is between Mispah Hut and Osgood Tentsite, a distance of about 15 miles. Keep in mind this is a very long 15 miles and you probably don't want to plan that as a day's hike. By the time you get to the Whites, you will know about work-for-stay and other options. Lots of hikers go thru every year without problems. Keep an open mind about the huts, consider staying at one(even the Dungeon at Lakes), and you will be just fine.

There are at least a couple of non-hut campsites: Liberty Springs, Garfield (near summit,) Guyot, and The Perch. Not to mention the shelter at Ethan Pond, etc. There's a small nominal fee at some of these. If you don't have the cash, the caretakers will write you a "bill" that you can pay whenever. Once you're on the east side of Rte. 16, you're cool again except for Speck Pond campsite. The Presidential ridge is really the worst-case scenario -- from Rte. 302 (Crawford Notch) to Rte 16 (Pinkham Lodge.)

Donating Member/AT Class of 2003 - The WET year
    Images

[quote=VictoriaM;301996]I'm debating on whether to stay in the AMC huts.

===========================================

I personally don't know of any thru hikers from 2003 who actually "made reservations" at one of the huts ...but there may have been some. Because of uncertainties in terms of miles/day hiked, weather and the like I would think that locking-in on a specific date well in advance of being there could be a dice roll.

That said ...I did stay at 2 huts on my thru, both of which were "work-for-stay" situations. In both cases I got a bunk and a decent meal (albeit AFTER the full paying guests). If I had it to do all over again that is what I would do.

While there is no guarantee of landing a work-for-stay deal I think that given the full price of an overnight's stay it is worth the risk.

'Slogger
    The more I learn ...the more I realize I don't know.

Read the AMC advice to thru-hikers. It tells you about work for stays and such. Also, read the information in the Companion or Wingfoot. Because you can't predict your arrival date, I would not recommend making reservations at this time. But, if you want to eat and sleep with the rest of the paying guests, then expect to pay $87.

Journal Entries
    Images

I was in the Whites last year at the end of June. In general the weather was bad. On Mt Washington, in the morning it was sunny, 40F with 60mph wind gusts. However, after 1200, the weather turned real bad. And quickly, I might add. Ensure you have cold weather gear by then.

As to the huts, many thru hikers will do a "work for stay" as already mentioned. The "Croo" will give you a task to perform, sweep the floors, do the dishes, clean the oven, etc...and then you can stay the night without paying the exorbitant price. You will probably sleep on a table.

Personally, I wouldn't rely on a work for stay, though. SOBO's might also be coming through at that time and I don't know if the Croo would tell you no, but I wouldn't want to be denied and then have no where to stay for the night. If you plan ahead of time you can stay at the campsites for, I think, $8 and even Lakes of the Clouds has the "dungeon" (although I wouldn't want to stay in the dungeon). At Lakes of the Clouds, I would try for a "work for stay". Stay in the dungeon as a last resort for the $8.

You can try and find "stealth" sites as well, but above treeline that will be difficult...

You should be able to get good info at the Hikers Welcome in Glencliff, NH just before the Whites and then plan accordingly.

See you on the trail,
    mt squid

usually confused but never lost Fannypack's Avatar

Default all in good time, no biggie

Quote Originally Posted by The Old Fhart View Post
    By the time you get to the Whites, you will know about work-for-stay and other options. Lots of hikers go thru every year without problems. Keep an open mind about the huts, consider staying at one(even the Dungeon at Lakes), and you will be just fine.
    ditto, it is way tooooo early to be planning (IMHO) anything to do with the AMC huts... all in good time... There are so many miles before NH, it will all work out... In 1996, I worked for stay at Zealand Falls Hut (stayed on porch) , Lake of the Clouds Hut (bunk) & Madison Hut(bunk) , i got to eat but of course i had food just in case they did have enough food for us.

Quote Originally Posted by mountain squid View Post

You should be able to get good info at the Hikers Welcome in Glencliff, NH just before the Whites and then plan accordingly.
    Good advice. You'll get plenty of info there, from what the croos are like to where to stealth.*

* when I use 'stealth' I mean camp legally and LNT-y.
    Teej

"[ATers] represent three percent of our use and about twenty percent of our effort," retired Baxter Park Director Jensen Bissell.

Images

Nope, I'm a planner. The more I think about now, the less guesswork there is later.

So...night temps?

Images

My last post was in response to Boston.

It's a pretty mixed bag really.

You can get around them pretty easily outside of the Presidential Range. You may get stuck up there unless you are willing to either put in some extra miles to trek off trail a short distance, or to get up real early and charge along.

If you hit the Prezzies in a stretch of good weather, I highly recommend taking your time in here. There really is no reason to rush over them. Stop at Crawford Notch and resupply before going up into the Presidentials so you have plenty of food and fuel, then go up. Below treeline and outside of a 1/4 mile radius around the huts, you can camp in the woods as long as you are at least a certain distance from the trail or flowing water. I can't remember the exact regulation. Finidng good sites might be tricky though. Or you can climb up to Nauman Tent sites which sort of co-exists with Mizpah Hut. From there meander around to Mt. Washington and descend into Tuckerman's Ravine and grab a shelter at the Hermit Lake Shelters. If you've got a cell phone, you might want to call ahead to Pinkham Notch and make a reservation if you are going to be hitting on a weekend. You'll wake up in the morning looking up through Tuckerman's Ravine. Climb Tucks again to the Summit of Mt. Washington and continue over. Climb the various Presidential peaks and poke around up there a bit. Depending upon how far you get, choose to either take a pleasant and reasonably short 1 mile side-trip down to either the Perch, Gray Knob cabin or Crag Camp and spend the night under the hospitality of the Randolph Mountain Club (very reasonable fees) The Perch has tent platforms and a mostly enclosed shelter, Gray Knob is a caretaker tended cabin, Crag Camp is not tended, but is regularly visited by the caretaker from Gray Knob. All have privies. The one at Gray Knob is pretty darned good...though really cold in February. All these facilities are self-service only. Crag Camp and Gray Knob are excellent choices should the weather go foul on you. A quick 1 mile hike back to the trail the next day sets you up for a nice day climbing over the Adamses (Mt. Adams has five or so peaks), Madison and then down into Pinkham and over Wildcat to Carter Notch where there is a self-service hut. If you got further than the turn off to Gray Knob etc. then there is the Osgood Tent Sites about 2.8 miles past Madison Springs Hut. Descending from Madison Springs in the rain is a pain in the backside. I fell twice in the course of about 1 hour on this section. Those were the only two times I actually fell during my whole hike. Bent one hiking pole all to hell, and had the devil of a time getting it straightened.

From Pinkham Notch you are past the Huts.

I enjoyed my Hut stops in the Whites. I worked at Galehead and Madison Springs and paid at Mizpah because I wanted to get an early start over the Prezzies on a gorgeous day. I stayed self-service at Carter Notch and passed the other Huts mid-day.

I had a fairly expensive hike though. That one night at Mizpah cost something like 65 bucks.
    Andrew "Iceman" Priestley
    AT'95, GA>ME

Non nobis Domine, non nobis sed Nomini Tuo da Gloriam
    Not for us O Lord, not for us but in Your Name is the Glory

Quote Originally Posted by icemanat95 View Post
    From Pinkham Notch you are past the Huts.
    Just a thought... even if you're not planning to stay there, stop at Imp Shelter (on the Carter-Moriah ridge) and check out the view. Quite impressive, and will feel even more so -- knowing you just walked over it.

Images

On the topic of a roof over your head in the whites, the ski patrol building on Wildcat was open this year. Is that a regular thing?

As usual, Iceman covered things pretty well.

Victoria: I only stay at the Huts (using the thru-hiker work/stay option) if the weather is bad or threatening. I generally don't want to stay in a place that crowded, and the real problem is that if you do the work/stay, your "work" is invariably done well after breakfast, after the Hut guests have left. (Most Hut work/stay jobs involve cleaning up bunkrooms, public areas, bathrooms, etc. and this can't be done efficiently if the guests are still there). What this means is that in many cases you won't get started on your day's hiking til 9:30 or ten, which affects your whole hiking day.

Except for about one full day (from Mizpah Hut to Madison or just after it), where your overnight options are limited because you're at or above treeline, there are really more places to camp than you might think.

If the weather's good, I think you're better off camping. I'd keep the Huts in mind as a "back-up" alternative during questionable weather, but I wouldn't plan on staying at them, and I sure in hell would never pay full price at them, which is ridiculous.

Overall i liked the huts I stayed at madison, lake of the clouds and one other... They were great! They do make you sweep the floor and you have to sit and watch everyone else eat but I really enjoyed the stay... They have little nature programs and the staff is generally nice...

Images

I'll pay full price for any I have to stay in. No work-for-stay for me.

Up to you.

Of course it means you can get an early morning start.

And after sharing a crowded, fetid bunkroom with 24 New Yorkers and their boisterous offspring, I assure you you'll WANT an early start.

I can think of around 400 better ways to spend 89 bucks, but whatever works.

Night temps for a day in late July:
    http://www.mountwashington.org/weather/summit.php

Record High: 68°F (1959)

Record Low: 31°F (1987)

Average Daily Temperature: 49°F

Average Monthly Melted Precipitation: 8.02

Average Monthly Snowfall: Trace

Total Snowfall So Far This Month: T (Hail)
    -----------------
    Watch the sunset. Get up for the sunrise.
    Teej

"[ATers] represent three percent of our use and about twenty percent of our effort," retired Baxter Park Director Jensen Bissell.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
++ New Posts ++