WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Default section hike from Erwin Tenn to Laurel Fork Gorge

Im planning a section hike from Erwin Tenn to Laurel fork gorge area.Can anyone give me any info on this section,Miles....difficulty of hike,shelters etc...Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by smknjo View Post
    Im planning a section hike from Erwin Tenn to Laurel fork gorge area.Can anyone give me any info on this section,Miles....difficulty of hike,shelters etc...Thanks
    Just over 70 miles. 8 shelters. not too tough. very scenic.

Thanks,does dennis cove rd cut any off these miles if I stop there as opposed to going on to the gorge?..I cant seem to find a detailed map,do you suggest wingfoot or another guide book?...Smknjo

Thanks,does dennis cove rd cut any off these miles if I stop there as opposed to going on to the gorge?..I cant seem to find a detailed map,do you suggest wingfoot or another guide book?...Smknjo
    Very nice sections. The TN/NC guidebook should have the info you need. The TN Eastman site has some info, but the clearest map they have does not show the road to Dennis Cove from Hampton, which is via paved USFS 50, reaching Rt. 321 in Hampton in 4.1 mi.

On the AT 2.7 mi. after Dennis Cove there is a blue-blazed trail leading 1.0 mi. to a parking area on 321. I have read about vandalism at this lot, but not anything lately.

Very nice sections. The TN/NC guidebook should have the info you need. The TN Eastman site has some info, but the clearest map they have does not show the road to Dennis Cove from Hampton, which is paved USFS 50, reaching Rt. 321 in Hampton in 4.1 mi.

On the AT 2.7 mi. after Dennis Cove there is a blue-blazed trail leading 1.0 mi. to a parking area on 321. I have read about vandalism at this lot, but not anything lately.

Edit: Didn't know I doubled!? Adding that the average climb per mile for this trip would be 270', if my Maptec is correct.
    Last edited by Groucho; 01-11-2007 at 23:46.

Quote Originally Posted by L. Wolf View Post
    Just over 70 miles. 8 shelters. not too tough. very scenic.

Quite so. And wisely avoiding Pond Mtn. (No offense to purists and Pond Mountain lovers.)

maybe the prettiest section south of Virginia.
    geek

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Adams View Post
    maybe the prettiest section south of Virginia.
    geek

?? Laurel Falls is still 45 miles from the VA border ??

Springer-->Stony Brook Road VT MedicineMan's Avatar
    Images

Default Pond does offer a few views

so dont write it off completely...you can see the Roan from it and also Watagua Lake (assuming the leaves are off the trees) and there is a pond on top during wet weather.
    Start out slow, then slow down.

Pond mountain has a new relo and is not that bad. I dont see all the hype about it. Very nice area on the way up (rhodo tunnels, cliffs, views, etc) to take your mind off the climb and awesome on top (can see fossils "skolithus" up there in rocks right on trail by spring on top) , and the new relo is gravy train coming down to the lake. Much better than going down that blue blaze to hampton and walking the road up IMO unless you really need to go there (food, The Castle, etc, altho I always find it an easy hitch from the lake to town and back ). There is also an awesome side trail off the top before you get to the firetower above dennis cove that takes ya down to Frog Level with some more falls and can walk out the entire gorge to deniis cove road, is really nice but does have several river crossings. Laurel Falls are nice as ever.

RAT

Images

The new Tennessee/NC maps are very nice, and have most of the detail you'll need. The databook or the Companion will provide even more. You can leave your car at Kincora Hostel on Dennis Cove Road and get a shuttle down to Erwin to start. That's a safe spot, and Kincora is one of the nicest hostels on the trail.

I'm not so sure I'd call it an easy section -- the climb over Big Hump southbound sure kicked my butt. Lots of big mountains and beautiful views from the balds. Wonderful section.
    Ken B
    'Big Cranky'
    Our Long Trail journal

where do i get the maps?...Smknjo

http://www.atctrailstore.org/
    a.k.a CHOP-CHOP

Here or at your local outfitters.

++ New Posts ++