WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

well the 20 miles for the first day will probably filter out most people who are not already in hiking shape

12 hours of daylight divided into 20 miles is 1.7 mph (with a daypack).
    The age range in the seven expeditions was from 14 y.o. to 68 y.o.
    This mph pace (1.7) should be doable by anyone who plans to backpack the entire AT in 5-6 months.
    Warren Doyle PhD
    34,000-miler (and counting)
    [email protected]
    www.warrendoyle.com

Images

Default An interesting offer and thread

Interesting offer, Warren, and I can't say I'm surprised at some of the replies. Some people don't seem to get what your kind of hiking is all about, still.

Journal Entries
    Images

As a practical matter, where would participating hikers camp each night? At road crossings?

If I weren't a working stiff, Warren, I'd like to hike with you. The idea of doing those kinda miles, straight out of the gate, with a light pack... makes me smile.

But there's this little matter of the job. Schedules. Dang. Now, if you and your team and van are free around August or September, in the mid-Atlantic region, I have this little trek in mind....
    Last edited by rafe; 01-17-2007 at 00:35.

Lightbulb Shades of Gray...

Quote Originally Posted by Shades of Gray View Post
    Interesting offer, Warren, and I can't say I'm surprised at some of the replies. Some people don't seem to get what your kind of hiking is all about, still.
    Warren's "style of hiking" has resulted in him and his groupies being permanently banned from Kincora hostel as undesirables, based solely upon their behavior. (This is not hearsay, but was told to me directly by Bob Peoples himself during my thruhike in 2006.) I have seen him post on WB advocating that hikers (clearly identifiable in appearance as hikers) in trail towns go uninvited into private places of business (restaurants) of which they are not customers and when no one is looking, taking goods that they neither paid for, had given to them, nor had yet been thrown away in the trash, which constitutes theft. I could go on, listing more examples from his past, but his history is consistent: he has established a public record of displaying Enron ethics, and this is a blot to have as part of our beloved Appalachian Trail community IMO.

This leaves aside my original point, which is that he would refuse to give a ride to a hiker solely due to disapproving of their mere choice of route during part of that day when he's giving rides to other hikers and has spare room in his vehicle. That's his right, to be sure. It's also the right of other members of the hiking community to disapprove of him and ostracize him, if their ethical standards of behavior exceed his behavior.

Some of us do get what Warren's kind of hiking is all about, SOG. I don't think you do. Either you didn't know about and wouldn't approve of the sorts of behavior he chooses to engage in, or you do approve of it. I sincerely hope it is the former.

Geezer

Quote Originally Posted by minnesotasmith View Post
    This leaves aside my original point, which is that he would refuse to give a ride to a hiker solely due to disapproving of their mere choice of route during part of that day when he's giving rides to other hikers and has spare room in his vehicle. That's his right, to be sure. It's also the right of other members of the hiking community to disapprove of him and ostracize him, if their ethical standards of behavior exceed his behavior.
    No it isn't your right. If he wants to get a group of like minded people together to hike, you have no business telling them they are wrong for what type of hike they hike.

Just because he has "spare room in his vehicle" does not mean he has to take along everyone who wants to ride in it, any more than you have to fill your car with dogs because some hiker with a half dozen of them wants a ride and you have room in your car.

Give it a rest, MS. People are allowed to pick hiking companions for whatever reason: gender, age, hiking speed, time in towns, avoiding towns, drinking, not drinking, etc etc etc.
    Last edited by Frosty; 01-17-2007 at 10:52.
    Frosty

Quote Originally Posted by minnesotasmith View Post
    I have seen him post on WB advocating that hikers (clearly identifiable in appearance as hikers) in trail towns go uninvited into private places of business (restaurants) of which they are not customers and when no one is looking, taking goods that they neither paid for, had given to them, nor had yet been thrown away in the trash, which constitutes theft.
    Please show me that post

Quote Originally Posted by L. Wolf View Post
    Please show me that post
    A quick search brought this up:

"in town- leftovers off of other people's tables."

Doesn't really explain the behavior, but its WDs words.

http://www.whiteblaze.net/forum/show...4&postcount=40

Quote Originally Posted by saimyoji View Post
    A quick search brought this up:

"in town- leftovers off of other people's tables."

Doesn't really explain the behavior, but its WDs words.

http://www.whiteblaze.net/forum/show...4&postcount=40
    I've done that too. And will do it in the future. But he's not advocating that others do it.

This thread is getting WAY off topic, let's get back to the topic of the thread now please.

I disagree with just about everything that WD says and does, but in fairness to him he has stated in the past that he buys a meal first before he steals food from the restaurant. He also pays for the first movie at the theater and then steals the subsquent ones. It appears that the only thing he steals without making some type of initial payment is sneaking past toll booths to reach trailheads. I could be wrong but that is what I think WD has stated in the past.

Images

Bleedin' Christ! If you want to accept Warren's offer and hike with him, then do it. If not, then move on. Why must every post the man makes be met with this same old crap? Makes me yearn for SORUCK.
    Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?

Default Amazing

Congratulations!

With your 'garbage' #28 post and your previous post recommending that I be banned from the trail, you have achieved the dubious distinction of being placed on my coveted internegator list (the first addition in over a year).
    Warren Doyle PhD
    [email protected]
    www.warrendoyle.com

Default Answer to rickboudrie's on-topic question (post #26)

Q: As a practical matter, where would participating hikers camp each night? At road crossings?

A: At or within .5 miles of road crossings. This is not a backcountry camping experience. It is a highly task-oriented, low-cost, day-hiking experience of a section of trail. Camping at or near road crossings can give the hiker more daylight time to spend walking on the trail since it dramatically cuts the amount of time needed to drive to and from the trail every evening/morning.
    Warren Doyle PhD
    [email protected]
    www.warrendoyle.com

Warren, would you please clarify what I highlighted in post #6, and I guess now low-cost (above).
    "Sleepy alligator in the noonday sun
    Sleepin by the river just like he usually done
    Call for his whisky
    He can call for his tea
    Call all he wanta but he can't call me..."
    Robert Hunter & Ron McKernan

Whiteblaze.net User Agreement.

Default Reply to Alligator posts #38 & #6

post#38 Warren, would you please clarify what I highlighted in post #6, and I guess now low-cost (above).

post #6 It sounds like Warren is offering to do this for free.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Warren Doyle
    There would be no expected payments for this service.

Unless he means for mailing the backpacks back?

1) There would be no fee for the actual hike.

2) Obviously, I would expect folks to cover postage expenses for my mailing their daypacks back home.

3) 'Low-cost' refers to non-hiking expenses such as hostel/motel/campground fees that would be avoided by our camping at or near road crossings. These expenses/costs would not involve a payment to me.
    Warren Doyle PhD
    [email protected]
    www.warrendoyle.com

Images

This thread, in a nutshell, is why I hike alone...
    Go confidently in the direction of your dreams! Live the life you've imagined. As you simplify your life, the laws of the universe will be simpler.
    Henry David Thoreau

Sounds like a reasonable offer Warren. Enjoy.
    "Sleepy alligator in the noonday sun
    Sleepin by the river just like he usually done
    Call for his whisky
    He can call for his tea
    Call all he wanta but he can't call me..."
    Robert Hunter & Ron McKernan

Whiteblaze.net User Agreement.

Images

Default DT, you bum me out bigtime!

Quote Originally Posted by DawnTreader View Post
    This thread, in a nutshell, is why I hike alone...
    I was hoping we could get everyone that's contributed together one day for a supported group day-hike.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast
++ New Posts ++