WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4
    Images

I think this is a great offer, Warren. If my husband's health is better, I'd love to join you and Terry in March. I've hiked this part already, but it sure would be great to be back on the trail again. Without my pack, I think I could even do the miles, albeit slowly.

Default Clarifications

max patch post #34: "I disagree with just about everything that WD says and does, but in fairness to him he has stated in the past that he buys a meal first before he steals food from the restaurant. He also pays for the first movie at the theater and then steals the subsquent ones. It appears that the only thing he steals without making some type of initial payment is sneaking past toll booths to reach trailheads. I could be wrong but that is what I think WD has stated in the past.

Clarification to #34

1) steals? how about this:before he 'gathers' leftover food from other people's tables. This is only done in non-AYCE dining establishments and only when I am on a long distance hike when I need the extra calories. As far as I know, there is no specific law saying such action is illegal, neither can I find it forbidden by any religious dogma (i.e., Ten Commandments) nor have I ever seen anything posted prohibiting it in said dining establishments. To rationalize this behavior, I ask myself a deep, philosophical question, "Is this uneaten leftover food going to go to the maggots or is it going to go to me?" The answer is easy since my primal instincts take over.

2) steals? only in a multiplex, corporate theatre (where the management feels that this action is not a big problem or they would just hire another person at minimum wage to prevent it from happening or else move their ticket-taker station to a more 'strategic' position for better 'surveillance') and only for movies that are not sold out (which is very rare). Movies are now run automatically by machines (not paid by the hour) even if there are no other people in the audience and we also 'leave no trace' (litter). Watching a movie eating leftover popcorn is a rare delight. Once again, there is no law saying that this action is illegal; I can find no religion doctrine that specifically forbids it; and, I have never seen a prohibition of this practice posted at the theatre or projected onto the screen with the other 'do nots' (i.e. turn off your cellphones).
    The deep philosophical question I ask myself to rationalize this particular action is "Do I have less money in my wallet, or credit card balance, when I walk out of this theatre than when I walked into it." The answer, which always eases my conscience, is Yes.

3) steals? how about 'avoids'

4) sneaking past toll booths? actually it is walking past open and closed gatehouses that are on roads that lead to trail crossings (which is legal and free) or driving past closed gatehouses (i.e. National Parks usually after 10-11pm and before 7am) or gates that are open but it is too early for the gatekeepers to be awake but not for the loggers and their trucks.

troglobil #44 Q: What is an internegator?
    A: (in addition to the previous definition) An internegator is also an internet poster (usually in the minority) who seems to be on a misguided vendetta against a particular person(s) who thinks and acts differently then they do and the internegator consistently uses either distorted truths or falsehoods as a basis of support for their argument. They can be relentless almost to a point of obsession to deride and discredit at the mere sight of one's name and their hypercritical posts, and name-calling, can be so repetitive that it frustrates other more well-meaning travelers/observers (usually the majority) who are also on the same information superhighway.

Boston #45 Q: Is food provided or are hikers expected to bring their own and cook for themselves?
    A: (thanks for an easy one and for one that is on-topic) Hikers are expected to bring their own food and cook for themselves. Of course, going with food that doesn't have to be cooked is an option. Some limited food can be obtained from Neels Gap in the early afternoon on the second day and we will probably go into Hiawassee for supper at the end of the fourth day.

Bilko #50 Q: Are there going to be any Condradancers on the hike?
    A: (another easy one) First of all, I think you mean contradancers. As of now, at least two (my wife, Terry, and I).
    Warren Doyle PhD
    34,000-miler (and counting)
    [email protected]
    www.warrendoyle.com

Red Hat post: "Without my pack, I think I could even do the miles, albeit slowly."

That is a correct assumption. One can usually do more miles (albeit with longer walking hours) with a lighter pack and a slower pace (over the long term) than a person with a heavier pack and a faster pace (over the long term).

In March, we will have about 12 hours of daylight. A 20-mile day is about 1.7 mph which is physically doable for most normally conditioned people and if they are content/happy to walk all day.
    Warren Doyle PhD
    34,000-miler (and counting)
    [email protected]
    www.warrendoyle.com

Images

It's a very kind offer Mr. Doyle. If it were the first week in April, I might have taken you up on it. Those that have to bring up the past, which has absolutely nothing to do with the present offer, ought to be ashamed of themselves. And having met Mr. Peoples, I'm sure he would not want what he said in a private conversation to be plastered all over this forum. I was appalled when I read that post. And that's all I have to say about that.
    "It was on the first of May, in the year 1769, that I resigned my domestic happiness for a time, and left my family and peaceable habitation on the Yadkin River, in North Carolina, to wander through the wilderness of America." - Daniel Boone

Dixicritter asked that posters please remain on topic. Please do. Thank you.
    "Sleepy alligator in the noonday sun
    Sleepin by the river just like he usually done
    Call for his whisky
    He can call for his tea
    Call all he wanta but he can't call me..."
    Robert Hunter & Ron McKernan

Whiteblaze.net User Agreement.

Last edited by MOWGLI; 01-18-2007 at 21:58. Reason: Served no purpose and appeared to condone inappropriate behavior

In case anyone was wondering there is a moderator for this forum and that moderator is me. It is supposed to be a cushy housekeeper position with all the extensive perks that come with being a mod—vacation house, company vehicle, personal secretary, digital wireless connection--with limited need to handle daily interaction. Anyway, while Dixi made the original two requests to stay on topic, it was my call to pull several posts from this thread. The moderation implemented here was a compromise between enforcing various parts of the user agreement (see off-topic, hijack, personal attack vs. illegal acts). For this case, the solution reflects admin’s priority in ending repeated feuding on this most excellent site. Thank you.
    "Sleepy alligator in the noonday sun
    Sleepin by the river just like he usually done
    Call for his whisky
    He can call for his tea
    Call all he wanta but he can't call me..."
    Robert Hunter & Ron McKernan

Whiteblaze.net User Agreement.

Geezer

Quote Originally Posted by Alligator View Post
    In case anyone was wondering there is a moderator for this forum and that moderator is me. It is supposed to be a cushy housekeeper position with all the extensive perks that come with being a mod—vacation house, company vehicle, personal secretary, digital wireless connection--with limited need to handle daily interaction. Anyway, while Dixi made the original two requests to stay on topic, it was my call to pull several posts from this thread. The moderation implemented here was a compromise between enforcing various parts of the user agreement (see off-topic, hijack, personal attack vs. illegal acts). For this case, the solution reflects admin’s priority in ending repeated feuding on this most excellent site. Thank you.
    Thank you. You are doing a fine job, allowing people to be frisky but not demeaning.
    Frosty

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4
++ New Posts ++