WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast
    2005 Camino de santiago

Default Advanced Whey Protein

I'll second the choice for Wal Mart's Six Star Body Fuel, Advanced Whey Protein, comes in 2 Lb container, though. Chocolate tastes great cold, just mix with water or, I mix some powdered milk too. 1 Scoop (27 g) gives you 110 calories yet only 3 g carbohydrate & just 2 g sugar but 20 g protein, plus other.

Its an awesome flavor but resupply is likely a drag.

has anyone ever relied on protein shakes as a breakfast, and not as a nutrtional supplement addition to their diet? I'm really interested in these shakes to replace items like poptarts, and in turn save weight, less carbs, more calories. I"m worried that i would be starving shortly after drinking the shake though. Perhaps a couple of packets of oatmeal and a shake would fulfill me for a few hours, then snack on GORP and lunch after that. I typically have to start munching on GORP a couple of hours after oatmeal/2 poptarts anyway... but on a thru hike, the hunger could become unbearable with mainly a shake at morning???

Default discount protien powders

a really good source for protiens powders at a good price is Jesup Gym.
    http://www.jesupgym.com/

Catch-Up
    Images

During my thruhike last year, I used "Whey to go" chocolate protein powder, mixed with 2 packets carnation instant chocolate breakfast, and Mt. Hagens freeze-dried organic coffee with a little powdered milk mixed in. Talk about a pick me up! I drank atleast 1 of these a day, about 32oz.

Quote Originally Posted by Nightwalker View Post
    As far as non-meat protein goes, TVP is my favorite. Cover it in water 10 minutes, and when you pour the water off, the gas goes with it. I never have digestive problems with it at all by doing this. It goes good with oatmeal and Ramen. Probably lots of other things too.

As far as taste goes, it's kind of like a very light-tasting toasted rice. It's made from extruded and toasted soy flour and water.
    does anyone know where you can find TVP (textured vegetable protein)?

may your tracks be long quicktoez's Avatar
    Images

I'm a vegetarian and you need a lot of protean on the trail so I use soy and whey protein. You can get both cheap at heath food stores and even most supermarkets in the heath section. I mix it with a bit of sugar and coca and milk powder in a 16 oz. wide mouth Nalgene bottle. I put a few plastic jacks (kids game) in the container because mixing powder on the trail is very difficult without a blender. I would love to know if any other vegis have other ideas though.
    May all your track be long ==== quicktoes

While protein shakes and Ensure-like beverages provide nutrition I don't believe they are efficient, either in weight or in cost. For trail use, those are usually two big factors in choosing food. If one is looking for high calories, high protein, vitamins, etc., there are better products for on the trail, IMO.

Consider: 1 packet of Carnation Instant Breakfast mixed w/ 1/3c of NIDO

The two ingredients total 2.33oz and provide 280 calories. That's 120 calories per ounce which is nearly triple that of Ensure Plus and four times that of regular Ensure (I've mixed Ensure's volume ounces with the powders' weight ounces but I think the comparison is close enough...someone correct me if not).

More importantly, the two packets combined provide RDAs of;
    26% protein
    13% fat
    13% carb (three fourths of that from sugar)
    vitamins -- minerals --
    A 45% calcium 55%
    C 47% iron 25%
    D 25% potassium 19%
    E 25% phosphorus 45%
    B6 20%
    B12 20%
    There's more vitamins and trace minerals but you get the idea.

I use vanilla flavored CIB and add some Medaglia d'Oro instant espresso coffee for my caffeine kick. It's a good flavor and with a couple Logan bread bars to munch on it becomes a healthy and quick breakfast. Drink two cups and you're approaching 100% RDAs of some vitamins and minerals. Warning -- this mix is a little bulky and I sift it so it dissolves faster with less clumps.

But if you're looking for just a calorie punch my current favorite is Lindt's Lindor 60% Extra Dark Chocolate Truffles which come in at 165c/oz.

FB
    "All persons are born free and have certain inalienable rights. They include the right to a clean and healthful environment..."

Article II, Section 3
    The Constitution of the State of Montana

Whey protein will supply a much higher quality protein than a carnation pack would. More grams of protein also.
    "Every day above ground is a good day"
    www.hammockforums.net

It's true that a whey protein powder has much more protein than the mix I posted above. I can't comment on the quality of the proteins...the bulk of the proteins in the mix is milk protein which is usually considered acceptable. Regardless, both whey and NIDO (and probably CIB) proteins originate in cow's milk but the whey protein has a much higher amount of amino acids which is thought to be a good thing.

I know some protein powders have very little of anything other than the protein and associated amino acids so if it's protein you're going for that might be the most efficient way (no pun intended ). There's a nice list of protein powder contents here; http://www.consumerlab.com/results/nutdrinks_ing.asp#1 and it shows that some powders have some vitamins and minerals.

I think I can be talked into retracting my statement that the mix is more effcient in weight and price if we don't consider the balanced nutrition provided by the mix. But I still think it makes a great, hot breakfast/drink and is more satisfying and filling than the usual coffee/tea.

FB
    "All persons are born free and have certain inalienable rights. They include the right to a clean and healthful environment..."

Article II, Section 3
    The Constitution of the State of Montana

After doing some more research, I'm starting to lean toward just buying some Balance Bars in bulk, instead of whey protein in bulk. A serving of 220 calories of whey powder tends to run at a cost of about $.66. A balance bar when bought in a box of 15 costs about a dollar apiece, and that has 220 calories. Not to mention more nutritional value and lower GI rating..all of which will probably lead to more energy, and is definitely more filling than gulping down 10oz of protein mix. That $.36 difference will really start to add up over a few months, but could be worth it for more satisfaction on the trail, but still won't totally break the bank.

I'm still up in the air on this. I just got back from GNC where I intended to pick up a 6lb container of whey which is on sale, but the salesman persuaded me to pick up their 'weight gainer' instead when i told him I was really after calories. The cost was slightly less, and I took his word for it since the serving sizes were all out of skew on the 2 products. Got home, turns out he was wrong, the weight gainer actually has about 25 calories less per tablespoon of powder. Frustrating. I'm starting to think I may try to just stick with energy bars if I find I can afford it, and possibly add whey powder to this regimen if I find I'm losing weight still.

Quote Originally Posted by vaporjourney View Post
    After doing some more research, I'm starting to lean toward just buying some Balance Bars in bulk, instead of whey protein in bulk.
    I wouldn't buy anything in bulk. You could be sick of it before you get to Neels gap.

Is it raining yet?
    Images

Thumbs down change of mind

Quote Originally Posted by BlackCloud View Post
    Optimum Nutrition makes excellently tasting chocolate protein shake powder. Duble choc., mint choc., and rocky road. All are good. You can get the stuff on ebay for less then the stores. It also has more protein per serving then any other affordable protein shake that I've found.
    I want to amend my post. Rocky Road not so good......
    Be Prepared

They have fruit juice flavored powder that dissolves well without a blender, making it quite tolerable, I think I'll just always fortify my drinking water with it.

Donating Member/AT Class of 2003 - The WET year
    Images

Been a while since I looked into this at any level of detail ...but if I remember correctly the body needs protein to build/repair muscle tissue. Carbohydrates on the other hand are the body's source of energy.

I could be all wet here but personally I think too much emphasis on protein at the expense of carbohyrates might make for a tired hiker. At the rate hikers burn calories I would think we would need more of the "quick energy" and easily burned fuels durng the day.

Totally agree that Snickers bars (and all other high sugar snacks) are empty calories in the long haul and under "normal" (low energy consumption) conditions are worthless in terms of nutrition. But on the trail they supply the boost (albeit SHORT TERM) that many of us need to keep on keepin on.

I like sugars/starches etc. during the day and would rather have the higher protein foods later in the day as my metabolism slows and my muscles are screaming for replenishment.

Just me maybe though ...

'Slogger
    Last edited by Footslogger; 03-27-2007 at 11:00.
    The more I learn ...the more I realize I don't know.

GA-VA 2005, VA-CT 2007, CT-ME ??
    Images

It's not just you, 'Slogger. I always try to have some chunks of Slim Jim/ pepperoni/ TVP/ cheese, etc in my dinner at the end of the day. I think it helps a lot with the 'overnight repairs'.
    -Mark

Frieden and Ed - World Explorer Team frieden's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by vaporjourney View Post
    After doing some more research, I'm starting to lean toward just buying some Balance Bars in bulk, instead of whey protein in bulk. A serving of 220 calories of whey powder tends to run at a cost of about $.66. A balance bar when bought in a box of 15 costs about a dollar apiece, and that has 220 calories. Not to mention more nutritional value and lower GI rating..all of which will probably lead to more energy, and is definitely more filling than gulping down 10oz of protein mix. That $.36 difference will really start to add up over a few months, but could be worth it for more satisfaction on the trail, but still won't totally break the bank.

I'm still up in the air on this. I just got back from GNC where I intended to pick up a 6lb container of whey which is on sale, but the salesman persuaded me to pick up their 'weight gainer' instead when i told him I was really after calories. The cost was slightly less, and I took his word for it since the serving sizes were all out of skew on the 2 products. Got home, turns out he was wrong, the weight gainer actually has about 25 calories less per tablespoon of powder. Frustrating. I'm starting to think I may try to just stick with energy bars if I find I can afford it, and possibly add whey powder to this regimen if I find I'm losing weight still.
    I was a certified personal fitness trainer and nutritionist for many years. If you look at my posts, I've posted some fitness stuff before, although I can't remember where. (first thing that goes, eh?)

There is protein powder, like WPI (Whey Protein Isolate), which is just protein, and then there is meal replacement powder that varies depending on what you need it for. Yes, Carnation Instant Breakfast is good, but stay away from bars if you can. You don't wanna know what's in there.

For something like a thru-hike, you'll want a meal replacement powder (for simplicity, we'll say MRP). Getting a cheap protein is just a waste of money. You may as well load up on corn starch. EAS is excellent, but can be pricey. I used to use Designer Protein, but they changed their formula. Do a little research, and choose from the top 5 in quality. Ask a trainer who looks like Arnold, not just a clerk at GNC. I'm sure there are some who work there who know what they are talking about, but I haven't met one yet. You are better off getting high quality, and just using less.

MRP is great for protein and nutrients, but do not rely on it for carbs. You'll still need to eat stuff like pasta, which, luckily, is lightweight also. Don't use shakes to replace more than 3 meals/snacks per day. If you are relying heavily on MRP shakes, do not use that strategy for more than 1 month. For example, MRPs for Month 1, minimal MRPs for Month 2, MRPs for Month 3, etc. I make my own GORP, and snack on that all day. If you really want to carry some kind of bar, use Snickers (not in hot weather, obviously). There is more nutrition in a Snickers bar, than most "health" bars (including theirs, for some reason).

Eat like crazy in towns, and remember: veggies, veggies, veggies, water, water, water.....

I have been trying different things along these lines too. I think of them as meal supplements. This AND a pop tart( or what ever). I have found to make them a little more palatable, I make a mixed serving of powders, the protein/breakfast stuff, some powdered milk, and instant coffee! Mocha-frapa-protein. I am trying out a new one tomorrow made by Kashi. It seems to have a lot more protein than the Carnation. I also might try the vanilla and the coffee mix too. Or mix the vanilla and the chocolate. I am also looking at those flavored non dairy creamers to add different flavors.

Survivor Dave's Trail Shuttles-www.atsurvivordave.com
    Images

Default Protein Powder

I have been using protein powder within 45 minutes after working out at the gym and have seen a lot more muscle mass because of it. It has 23 grams of protein per scoop(I use 2) plus the milk at 8 grams per cup(use 2 cups).

Seeing that the only "gym" I will be using on the Trail is mostly for my legs, should I still consider taking protein powder with me? How much muscle mass will I lose on the Trail?

Also, I've seen posts about this stuff called Nido by Nestle that is powdered whole milk. I hear it is a better taste than non-fat powdered milk. Anyone think it's worth the extra bucks and weight?

Are there "trail foods" that offer lots of protein that will be enough?

Thanks,

Survivor Dave

Quote Originally Posted by Survivor Dave View Post
    Are there "trail foods" that offer lots of protein that will be enough?
    Nuts, cheese, various meats (eg summer sausage,) beans, legumes, protein bars. Town stops every 3-5 days... "real" food. You can get various meats in foil packages or small cans (eg., chicken, tuna, salmon, baby shrimp, sardines, SPAM, etc.)

Nuts, cheese and summer sausage are the easiest and most common.

Quote Originally Posted by Survivor Dave View Post
    I have been using protein powder within 45 minutes after working out at the gym and have seen a lot more muscle mass because of it. It has 23 grams of protein per scoop(I use 2) plus the milk at 8 grams per cup(use 2 cups).
    What are you using?

Be careful of your dosage. Pay close attention to new body smells (increased urea in urine, farts, sweat). You might just be eliminating alot of that protein. I've tried two different kinds and neither really helped. In fact, I've made greater strength gains since stopping.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast
++ New Posts ++