WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Default Contemplating the Zip Stove for thru-hike '07

I have the Gigapower stove now, but find that I carry too much weight in spare fuel canisters (I keep thinking the fuel'll run out). I'm thinking that getting new canisters along the trail may be both a hassle and a major expense.

If one can get over the soot issue, why not opt for a Zip? It seems to me that the additional weight of the stove itself is generally offset by not needing to carry fuel canisters. Furthermore, in my mind it's alright if dinner takes a few additional minutes to prepare. Very rarely am I so rushed or exhausted at the end of the day that the five extra minutes needed to use the Zip would result in my not eating- if so I've hiked unwisely and will pay accordingly (as usual).

It'd be great to get some user feedback on the prospect of relying on a Zip for a thru-hike.

Thanks all!

The soot and the extra bother eventually wore me down. Other than that, the Zip's been a good companion. It's not the best stove to have when you arrive late to camp in wet weather... and all you want is a (quick) hot meal or a cup of tea before retiring.

Images

Why not opt for an alcohol or esbit stove? They are light and dependable.

Quote Originally Posted by Teatime View Post
    Why not opt for an alcohol or esbit stove? They are light and dependable.
    Because with alcohol, at least, the weight of the fuel far exceeds the weight of the stove.

Images

I like the idea of the Zip, though I haven't used one myself. You might as well start the hike with it. You can always switch, if it doesn't work out.

BTW, I used a canister stove for most of my hike, having started with an alcohol stove. I never carried a spare canister. A couple of times I thought I might run out of fuel, but never actually did. The canisters last quite a while; there are frequently partially-empty ones in hiker boxes and shelters; and if you're running low you can scale back using it, for instance, not boiling so much water for hot drinks.
    If not NOW, then WHEN?

ME>GA 2006
    http://www.trailjournals.com/entry.cfm?trailname=3277

Instagram hiking photos: five.leafed.clover

Default Contemplating the Zip Stove for thru-hike '07

I started the AT with a zip stove. The soot didn't bother me since I'd just wrap my cook stuff in a plastic grocery bag that was replaced with every resupply. The problem is that it requires the most fiddling with when you least feel like fiddling (fiddle factor). I sent mine home after the smokies. Pat from Maine and I still use it on our day or weekend hikes. Pat and I have enough gear to be outfitters (+ many stove) but we use a simple homemade alcohol stove when we want to do any real hiking.

Images

Quote Originally Posted by terrapin_too View Post
    Because with alcohol, at least, the weight of the fuel far exceeds the weight of the stove.
    even adding the fuel, i can't find a zip stove lighter than an alcohol. interesting idea though...

I really like the idea of the zip stove, I think I'd use an alcohol stove again if I did another thru-hike and augement that with cooking on a small cookfire. I've been doing that lately on hikes just for the heck of it, and it works fine in most conditions when I'm not in a hurry. Push 3 stakes in the ground, grab a few handfuls of twigs and go to town.

You might want to check out Zelph's thread on the Martha Stewart stove. It's a passive wood burner that you can put any alcohol stove into when you want to go that route.

Quote Originally Posted by PJ 2005 View Post
    even adding the fuel, i can't find a zip stove lighter than an alcohol. interesting idea though...

Obviously it depends on your resupply interval and your cooking/eating habits. My experience to date has either been white gas (Svea, Whisperlite) and the Zip stove. I've never had to think much about fuel resupply... until now. You can last a month in the woods with a Zip or a Whisperlite and a 22-oz fuel bottle.

I can't seem to boil 2 cups of water reliably with 1 oz of alcohol. That concerns me. Next summer I'll probably take my canister stove as primary, and maybe some alcohol stove as backup. Unless I get more comfortable and confident using alcohol stoves in the meanwhile.

Images

Quote Originally Posted by BirchBark View Post
    If one can get over the soot issue, why not opt for a Zip? It seems to me that the additional weight of the stove itself is generally offset by not needing to carry fuel canisters. Furthermore, in my mind it's alright if dinner takes a few additional minutes to prepare. Very rarely am I so rushed or exhausted at the end of the day that the five extra minutes needed to use the Zip would result in my not eating- if so I've hiked unwisely and will pay accordingly (as usual).

It'd be great to get some user feedback on the prospect of relying on a Zip for a thru-hike.

Thanks all!
    I think you're a good candidate for a zip. They are well built and dependable.
    Buy one soon and start practicing your fire building skills before you head out on your hike. You'll get over the soot thing.

(Marta) I like the idea of the Zip, though I haven't used one myself. You might as well start the hike with it. You can always switch, if it doesn't work out.
    And like Marta said you can always switch.

I say go for it. Enjoy your thru!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Terrapin,

What kind of stove are you using? I've had good luck with both a supercat as well as just a refried-bean can with slots cut near the top. Use a windscreen and any alcohol stove should get 2 cups of water boiling on 1 oz of fuel.

I considered the zip. But honestly at the end of the day I didn't want to bother gathering wood, or wet wood....

Journal Entries
    Images

Default ZIP???? or NOT ZIP

check out this LINK:

http://hikinghq.net/stoves/zip.html

i prefer the MSR POCKET ROCKET...its' much lighter...NO FUSS, NO MUSS!

good luck with your hike!
    see ya'll UP the trail!

"Jaybird"

GA-ME...
    "on-the-20-year-plan"

www.trailjournals.com/Jaybird2013

Journal Entries

Don't let them talk you out of a Zip. It's a great thru hiking stove. It's simple, low tech, environmentally friendly, and reliable. I've never had trouble getting a fire going. I've never spent time scurrying for wood before cooking. Just pick up a few handfuls of fuel as you hike along during the day. I always picked up scraps of birch bark from fallen limbs, and snapped off bits of dry fuel from the dead lower branches of trees as I walked along.

On sunny days I could collect plenty of fuel by occasionally picking up promising looking dry sticks broken by hiker boots. Most shelter fire places had burned stubs of previous fires.

Nor is there a soot "problem." Just keep your stove and pot in a plastic bag -- the kind every trailside store fosters on you, whenever you buy a Snicker bar.

A Zip does force you to think ahead to supper time -- not a terribly hard thing to do. Thinking and looking and moving your legs is what thru hiking is all about.

Weary

Default No Zip

I started with a Zip Stove, but sent it home at Gatlinburg. It takes way too much fiddle time. It burns the wood so quickly you must constantly keep the stove fed.
    CT

Quote Originally Posted by Johnny Swank View Post
    Terrapin, What kind of stove are you using?
    It's a TinMan (AGG) stove. Mine is from a can of Mountain Dew. I'd say my success rate is about 50% (1 oz denatured alcohol to boil 2 cups tap water.) I've yet to build my own. Might try a Trangia or somethin'.

Images

Why not use a zip and carry a backup alky stove (which weighs almost nothing) with and few onces of emergency alcohol.

Thats what I would do.

Journal Entries
    Images

Thumbs down ZIP Stove

I considered using a Zip Stove on my thru but decided to bring my Wisperlite instead. I was glad I didn't bring the Zip when I saw the smoke that they make. Folks that were using them had to cook some distance from the shelter to prevent annoying others.
    Grampie-N->2001

on the other hand cooking with a Zip means the smoke drives the bugs away

Images

Quote Originally Posted by BirchBark View Post
    I have the Gigapower stove now, but find that I carry too much weight in spare fuel canisters (I keep thinking the fuel'll run out). I'm thinking that getting new canisters along the trail may be both a hassle and a major expense.

Thanks all!
    i have taken mine on a few long section hikes,plus the smoke they produce helps keep the skeeters away,i like this stove,it's cool neo

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
++ New Posts ++