WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    Former Admin

Default Adjusting to life after thru - hike

Comments, concerns, issues, experiences, about adjusting to life after a thru-hike.

Default Re: Adjusting to life after thru - hike

Originally posted by admin
    Comments, concerns, issues, experiences, about adjusting to life after a thru-hike.
    It was definitely difficult adjusting for me, after my 2000 Thru Hike. Previous to 2000, I had hiked from Springer to Harpers Ferry, came home, and blended back into the common life with no effects. But it was completely different after 2000. It seemed that life was too busy, so many different colors, and noises to get use to again. No one was interested in my hike, or willing to talk to me about it. Although friends did notice a change in me. Some of the comments were that I was alot quieter, more subdued, a completley different person. I have changed. Some things that I really cared about before the hike, are unimportant to me now, money, career, relationsips. I am alot happier now. I think anyone that has Thru Hiked the AT will agree with me. Try it you will like it!
    Last edited by Singletrack; 09-21-2002 at 17:36.
    Singletrack

GA-ME 3/5/02 -8/14/02
    Images

I'm glad someone posted this thread! We have been back for about 6 weeks now and I am just finally starting to feel okay and normal, again. Everyone mentions this "downtime" that hits you when your hike is over, and I had figured it'd be a few days and I could shake it off, but I went into almost complete recluse mode...I didn't want to see friends or family or talk to anyone about my hike, people would ask questions and then not really care about the answers, just in a "well I guess I should ask about their hike" sort of way... I didn't find it difficult to adjust to "real world"...I had no problems driving, no trouble immediatley visiting the mall to buy new jeans to fit my 20 pound weight loss, etc...but I had trouble dealing with the amount of people I ran into everyday. I couldn't beleive how many people, how much STUFF was just there and at my instant disposal. It still blows my mind. As for the "not wanting to work thing", I came back with the almost total opposite attitude, I decided right away to enroll in classes for Master's Degree, and my husband has been looking for work since the day we finished, we are both so bored out of our minds that we can't wait to get back to work! And I know this defintley isn't the "PC" attitude of the thru-hiker, but I also couldn't wait to immerse mylsef in the material goods of everyday life. All I wanted to do when I got back was eat, drive my car, and shop for the luxuries I couldn't have on the trail. I want a bigger TV, a more comfortable mattress, better car-camping gear, a newer, better road bike. Funny how so many people react so differently....
    "It's a dangerous business, going out your door...if you don't keep your feet, there's no telling where you might be swept off to."-The Hobbit

Default How the hike changed my life

It’s been nearly 3 years and I can’t shake my M&M fetish. Before my 2006 hike I could not stand plain M&Ms, if I ate M&Ms they had to be the peanut or almond M&Ms. Since my hike I only want plain M&Ms and I can go through a pound in under an hour.

why adjust? you made it. you escaped the rat race for 1/2 a year. flip flop and keep going.

Getting out as much as I can..which is never enough. :) Mags's Avatar

My standard post on this issue. Rather than post-hike adjustment, I tend to think of pre-hiked adjustment....

http://www.pmags.com/joomla/index.ph...ost-trail.html
    Paul "Mags" Magnanti
    http://pmags.com
    Twitter: @pmagsco
    Facebook: pmagsblog

The true harvest of my life is intangible...a little stardust caught,a portion of the rainbow I have clutched -Thoreau

Donating Member/AT Class of 2003 - The WET year
    Images

I thought at first the heart attack last March would make it easier to move on and forget about the trail ...but it only made it worse.

So ...if anyone is considering a heart attack - - you can forget it.

'Slogger
    The more I learn ...the more I realize I don't know.

Oh, this thread is so special. I attempted a thru this year and had to get off after 700 miles with sever shin splints. I sank into a deep depression, thinking that I had failed; so deep that I couldn't see the forest for the tree.

And people at my employment noticed a change in me; I found that stressful situations were difficult for me to handle. I wasn't the same person and there were those that didn't appreciate the change, which included by boss.

Although, my grandson (11) repeats stories that I have told him about the trail. He is my saving grace.

It's been five months and I am first finding the joy in my adventure; looking at pictures and creating my scrap book. I can close my eyes and remember everything about a particular day.

I will return, someday. I have finally accepted that I am a section hiker and that's just fine with me (almost)
    Zeke

Journal Entries
    Images

Thumbs up Adjusting

I think that anyone who finishes a thru-hike has to make some sort of adjustments, after getting back to the real world. Six months of living life on the trail has to make a person change. The experience is somewhat like attend college or going into the military. You have to adopt your life style to your new way of life.
    It's been six years since I finished. I think of the AT and my hike often. It used to be every day but now it's only every other day or so.
    Grampie-N->2001

Default Like vinegar

Quote Originally Posted by Mags View Post
    My standard post on this issue. Rather than post-hike adjustment, I tend to think of pre-hiked adjustment....

http://www.pmags.com/joomla/index.ph...ost-trail.html
    Mags, great article, it's poignant and a little scary, but immediately made me feel connected to you in some other level. I'm planning my first thru, my first hike actually, for this summer. I'm battling a lot a head vs. heart issues, but a few years ago I decided to trust my gut and it is leading me to Katahdin. I've had the idea for a long time, but at the age of thirty finally have the spirit to follow it. I'm worried about not knowing what I'm doing or where I'm going, but it's exhilirating to live in the moment and that's what I'm seeking.

The thing that brings me comfort is the thing I would tell you: Pursue excellence in everything. See you on the trail.
    Not all those who wander are lost... well, I mean I kinda roughly know where we are... East is definitely that way... right?

Quote Originally Posted by phenimore View Post

The thing that brings me comfort is the thing I would tell you: Pursue excellence in everything. See you on the trail.
    Thanks for the kind words.

That's what I am trying to do, believe me. Follow my passion. I am stuck deep in Dilbert Land, but hope escape by 2010..PERMANENTLY.

Best of luck in your journey!
    Paul "Mags" Magnanti

The true harvest of my life is intangible...a little stardust caught,a portion of the rainbow I have clutched -Thoreau

The internet is calling and I must go. buff_jeff's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Mags View Post

, but hope escape by 2010..PERMANENTLY.

Best of luck in your journey!
    Uh, oh, got some big things in the works, eh? Good luck! I can only hope to one day escape permanently.

I only got into backpacking 2 years ago and my longest hike was Springer to Harper's Ferry, so I don't have the perspective that some people have, but it definitely has changed my outlook on life. I oftentimes think that this hobby has "ruined" me. I had a hard time adjusting to the college atmosphere this semester and my grades have suffered tremendously as a result. I think I'm over that now, though...I hope, going into next semester. I think about hiking everyday and I don't expect that to change. I just need to work on finding balance in my life.

The internet is calling and I must go. buff_jeff's Avatar

I also think one of the hardest aspects of it all is not having anyone to talk to about it. My roommates think I'm retarded and I don't even bother bringing it up anymore and I haven't met a single person genuinely interested.

it's just walkin'. nothin' to adjust to. try being a 20 year old coming back after war having seen and done some atrocious ****.

Quote Originally Posted by Lone Wolf View Post
    it's just walkin'. nothin' to adjust to. try being a 20 year old coming back after war having seen and done some atrocious

Doing the AT showed me a much different lifestyle than my conservative, very blue-collar, upbringing. If it wasn't for the AT, I'd still be in RI doing what everyone else in my family is doing. It was the watershed moment in my life. For better or worse, my life is the way it is now from doing the AT.

Plus, when I came back from the AT, I found out my parents were divorced, the family home had been sold and the dog was even put to sleep for good measure. All in a 5 mo period.

Not anything like fighting a war. but I did learn that my entire world was turned upside-down. Perhaps I should have bucked up more, but coming off the trail was a rather hard experience for me.

Finally, have you fought a war LW?

My brother was over in Iraq and my essay helped him he said.

I can't fathom what he saw as a medic in Baghdad. But we can relate to the sense that our worlds were turned upside down.

Or so he said.

I'll take my brother's word, a veteran and someone I am close to, over yours.
    Paul "Mags" Magnanti

Images

Quote Originally Posted by Footslogger View Post
    I thought at first the heart attack last March would make it easier to move on and forget about the trail ...but it only made it worse.

So ...if anyone is considering a heart attack - - you can forget it.

'Slogger
    LOL...people in my break room gave me a look i laughed so hard...i'll stick to an atery clogged-free lifestyle...

Quote Originally Posted by phenimore View Post
    Mags, great article, it's poignant and a little scary, but immediately made me feel connected to you in some other level. I'm planning my first thru, my first hike actually, for this summer. I'm battling a lot a head vs. heart issues, but a few years ago I decided to trust my gut and it is leading me to Katahdin. I've had the idea for a long time, but at the age of thirty finally have the spirit to follow it. I'm worried about not knowing what I'm doing or where I'm going, but it's exhilirating to live in the moment and that's what I'm seeking.

what a great position to be in...pre-hike...the jitters...the unknown...i didn't read white blaze before i left, so i was as ignorant as they come...learning by fire was a great experience, and now i'm hooked...addicted...which ever is stronger...

Quote Originally Posted by buff_jeff View Post
    Uh, oh, got some big things in the works, eh? Good luck! I can only hope to one day escape permanently.

I only got into backpacking 2 years ago and my longest hike was Springer to Harper's Ferry, so I don't have the perspective that some people have, but it definitely has changed my outlook on life. I oftentimes think that this hobby has "ruined" me. I had a hard time adjusting to the college atmosphere this semester and my grades have suffered tremendously as a result. I think I'm over that now, though...I hope, going into next semester. I think about hiking everyday and I don't expect that to change. I just need to work on finding balance in my life.
    Be thankful to have learned this early in life...and keep it...our society (especially) has us following some mythical "jones family" that can rarely be achieved...how many people do you know who make a cagillion dollars and are still unhappy? lots...happiness comes in many forms for many people, but too often we resort to what makes others happy as sources for our own happiness...but that doesn't work...it's like trying to be a luxury hiker when you want to be a gram weenie...just be yourself, find happiness and then embrace that **** with a bear hug...life is way, way too short to be anything but blissful...

it's just walkin'. nothin' to adjust to. try being a 20 year old coming back after war having seen and done some atrocious ****.
    always simplifying things to their basic elements...wolfie you got something most don't, an enormous amount of life experience...and we both know it's more than just walking...i know we've changed each other in two years... ...

this thread is runs so deep within me...i have (and have said many times before) been changed beyond belief because of the trail...after the trail this year, i moved to chicago...a great city...pre-trail, i was a city guy...i wanted to move to every major metropolitan area in the world...now, i could care less for most of the things around here...cities provide some nice conveniences: easy access to grocery stores, samosas, lotsa cute girlies...but, i now know that i prefer the comfort of the slower lifestyle...taking time to reflect before acting...being able to connect with the woods, stars, drinkable water...my priorities have changed...

i think the AT, through all of it's goodness (trail angels/magic, comraderie, deeper friendships, and much more) bring a sense of what "could" be possible if the world was a different place...the rejuvination in the belief of the human spirit is something that is hard to get past, and unless you have fully experienced greatness on that level, it's hard to understand or act out...
    Check out my website: www.serialhiking.com

AT 4000+, LT, FHT, ALT Blissful's Avatar
    Journal Entries
    Images

My 20 yr old nephew leaves for Afghanistan in late Jan. (he's in the army).

Hiking Blog
    AT NOBO and SOBO, LT, FHT, ALT
    Shenandoah NP Ridgerunner, Author, Speaker

Images

Default Life after hiking

So far my experience has been that I have not adjusted to life after thru-hiking yet…that’s why I am on Whiteblaze (!). But I am working on it. K.B.

it was the 2nd AT hike that truely hooked me. I was'nt interested in doing it again after the first hike. I did'nt pine for the trail too much..but some. But, the 2nd hike had me dreaming of the Pct and others. The AT, for me, lit the match. Thank God for that. That trail will always be very special to me and many others.

Accept, that U will never be the same after your hike. U will never fully readjust to what U were before your hike! Accept, that U R ever changing - evolving. Realize, change can be good!. Remember, all that your hike has taught U and what U have experienced. FEEL THAT? Now, take that with U into eternity and live with it everyday.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
++ New Posts ++