WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Default Second pair of shoes

I will be hiking the first 500 mile of the AT this Spring (first big hike) and will be using Trail runners (NB 809). Should I be bringing a second pair of shoes as well?

My $0.02. It's less of an issue with light shoes, but let's say you've been walking in rain or mud all day. It's still nice to have camp shoes -- anything that lets your feet air out while providing minimal protection -- but what's that luxury worth to you? Your call.

Get some 99 cent flip-flops like these: http://www.cccfcs.com/FCS/uploads/Flip%20Flops.jpg
    They're light and work well in nasty showers as well as for camp.

AT 4000+, LT, FHT, ALT Blissful's Avatar
    Journal Entries
    Images

There are several threads on camp shoes. You can do a "search" for them. As for me, my Payless fake crocs will do me well for around camp.

Hiking Blog
    AT NOBO and SOBO, LT, FHT, ALT
    Shenandoah NP Ridgerunner, Author, Speaker

Registered User hammock engineer's Avatar

I think I see what you are getting at.

If it is camp shoes. I like to bring some to let my feet air out and dry when in camp.

If you are referring to how long your NB will last and whether or not you should carry a backup pair, I say no. I have put about 250-300 miles on my current NB trail runners. This is from 100 LT section hike this fall, a couple overnights, and countless day hikes. They look like they could hold up for another 300+ miles. I cannot tell you the model number off hand. I just buy which ever trail runners are on sale.

From what I have read in other threads and a couple journals, most people get around 800 miles give or take out of a pair. I plan on having 2 new pairs sitting at home when I start my thru. This way my parents can mail me a pair when mine wear out. If you do this take into account that some people's feet gain some length when they do a long distance hike. I spend a lot of time on my feet, so I am not as worried about this.

If you are worried about this then leave an extra pair with someone to mail you if needed.

Thanks for the comments. This is what I had in mind. Would it be a good idea for me to carry a second pair of shoes to wear when my main shoes were too wet to hike in and/or have a second pair of shoes to hike in to relieve my feet? Would it be better for my feet to be changing shoes during the day?

Registered User hammock engineer's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by visionrider View Post
    Thanks for the comments. This is what I had in mind. Would it be a good idea for me to carry a second pair of shoes to wear when my main shoes were too wet to hike in and/or have a second pair of shoes to hike in to relieve my feet? Would it be better for my feet to be changing shoes during the day?

You could and I think it would be a little better for your feet. But if the first pair got wet, then the second pair would get we too. Then there is the weight of the second pair and extra socks. If it is a wet day, the second pair is not going to dry out. So the next day you have 2 wet pairs to deal with.

This would work some if you were day hiking or hiking from a base camp. But I would not do this while hiking. But go with what works for you.

Quote Originally Posted by visionrider View Post
    The idea is to have a set of clothing that is used ONLY at camp and always kept dry. Anything else is liable to get wet. With this system it can rain all it wants while you're hiking. When you arrive at camp you'll have clean dry gear to change into. Of course this also means that when you leave camp (the next morning) all that clean dry gear goes back into storage for the day, and what you hike in may well be the wet shoes/socks/shorts/underwear that you wore yesterday.

GAVA '04; GAME '05
    Images

another reason i like sandals/crocs as camp shoes is they let your feet expand a little and heal after being constrained in the shoe all day. it's amazing how comfortable you feel after just putting on your camp shoes in the evening.

++ New Posts ++