WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Default What do you really need as far as maps, guides go?

You can buy the whole ATC set which has the books and maps for the whole AT but do you really need all that? What are the books that are done by state for? I'll probaly get wingfoots guide but of course thats not a map so ill get maps too but the little books do you need those? Also which maps are the best to get? Mapdana anyone?

All you need is eyes to see the blazes with and the data book. Maps are optional. That's all I ever used anyways.

RAT

Images

Depends on how much you like maps. I love looking at maps, and I couldn't have lived without them on the trail.

Just as one option for you, this is what I did: downloaded and printed the free ALDHA guidebook, cut it into a usable guide, using only the pages I'd need, then carried only what I'd need to get me to the next town stop. The rest I'd have mailed to me.

Then, with maps, I bought the first set, getting me to Fontana. Then I just went to the outfitter in each town and picked up only what I'd need to get me to the next outfitter. Figured that way, if I went home early, I wouldn't have wasted any money on maps I'd never use!

Only had a problem once, because the outfitter in the Delaware Water Gap had been flooded out in those awful rains last spring, and hadn't replaced all their stock. They were clean out of NJ/NY trail maps. I ended up tracing someone else's map, and that was good enough to get by.

So you really don't have to carry all those books and stuff with you. You should only have a few pages of a guidebook, and maybe two maps with you.

Registered User hammock engineer's Avatar

Warning, you have just opened one of the biggest cans of worms on WB. Be prepared for the insuing arguements.

I am bring the ATC maps and guidebook for each section on my thru. I do not like to hike anything more than a city park or farmers woods without a map. Well worth it in my eyes.

There are countless arguments (I mean threads) on this. Do some searching.

The maps and Wingfoot's book will be all that you need.
    Some will say you don't need the maps either, but it would be irresponsible of me to tell anyone else to go hiking without a map.

On my thru hike, I took sheets out of Wingfoot's book, sheets of the companion downloaded off the internet, maps( five years old) for that section, and the Mapdana for that part that I was hiking.

The maps being out of date did not present a problem for me.. later in the trip I cut some of them up and just took the profiles.. A lot of people dump the maps in hiker boxes to save weight.. Southbounders might be able to pick them up.

I found that I leaned on Wing foot's book the most, then the maps, then the companion and finally the mapdana. I think it is really important to take some kind of reference or two.. I would also take some kind of compass.

Images

The map (and book) set for the next year is usually discounted in December for ATC members. It is a BIG savings. It seemed to me the books were almost "free" by buying the set at a discount rather then just the maps. I am reading the books in planning and then leaving them with my wife.

I will take Wingfoot's book and mail drop the maps as I go. The book is good for info but the maps show the trail profile which to me is darn handing when you are thinking of pulling a 20 or need to get to town ASAP.
    The heaviest thing I carried was my attitude.
    Montani semper liberi - Mountaineers are always free

Desire is the main ingredient for success

Images

A map is kind of like a first aid kit. You might get by without ever using it, but it sure would be good to have when the need arises. The problem is that, like that first aid kit, there's no way to predict when you might need it or how badly you might need it. What Pokey 2006 did sounds pretty reasonable.

The state by state guide books contain a lot of local information on things like history, geology, and turn by turn description of the trail. All very interesting but not probably something you'd want to carry on a thru or long section hike. My wife loves maps, reads them like other people read a good book, and often carries the state book for where ever we are hiking. But we've never been out for more than 2 weeks at a time.

Images

just wingfoot. if you're itching to see a map, there will be people around with them.

Bring the maps.

Sure, when all is going well, you don't really need them, but that's the rub. When things start going seriously sideways, you DO need them and you need them RIGHT NOW.

I found the maps very valuable for planning my day, especially in the hot months when afternoon thunderstorms are an issue. I could try to plan my efforts to put me below the summits when the storms rolled in....two close calls with lightning had made me a bit gun shy. A subsequent run in with lightning has just confirmed that opinion.

Also. On most other trail systems out there a solid grounding in map reading is very helpful. Using the AT as a day-to-day training ground for your map reading skills is a great thing. The White Mountain trail system is complex BTW. The AT is marked, but the trail names on the signs change frequently as the AT was largely routed across the pre-existing trail system. With the maps, your chances of getting mis-routed in bad weather (and good) go down dramatically. Many of the people I encountered who had trouble following the trail in the Whites and complained about trail markings, did not have maps and were at the mercy of the trail markings.
    Andrew "Iceman" Priestley
    AT'95, GA>ME

Non nobis Domine, non nobis sed Nomini Tuo da Gloriam
    Not for us O Lord, not for us but in Your Name is the Glory

Quote Originally Posted by icemanat95 View Post
    Bring the maps.

Sure, when all is going well, you don't really need them, but that's the rub. When things start going seriously sideways, you DO need them and you need them RIGHT NOW.
    Well put. I like having them. I did one short section without. No problem. Lucky. But given a choice, I want maps.

i just used wingfoot, but sometimes it was nice to know what the day was gonna be like as far as elevation change though. and i got that info from a partner with the maps

Images

Quote Originally Posted by terrapin_too View Post
    Well put. I like having them. I did one short section without. No problem. Lucky. But given a choice, I want maps.
    Ditto. With a map and a compass(even just a small keychain or watch type) you can reckon your location, get to lower elevation, escape dangerous weather, find a water source, find a road, etc. Civilization = medical assistance.
    "That's the thing about possum innards - they's just as good the second day." - Jed Clampett

I'm personally going with the mapdana's and wingfoots. figure the mapdana's have somewhat of a map, with data from the companion/data book, then the wingfoot guide for more detail. personally, i dont like elevation profiles, because i end up dreading the climbs and decents before i actually start hiking them. granted, i dont have the saftey aspect of seeing the small forest roads etc to saftey, but hiking the AT is an adventure after all eh?
    mike!
    P.S. dont tell my eagle scout father im going without topo map+compass

Images

Quote Originally Posted by PJ 2005 View Post
    just wingfoot. if you're itching to see a map, there will be people around with them.
    I carried maps and it was interesting how often mapless hikers wanted to look at them.
    If not NOW, then WHEN?

ME>GA 2006
    http://www.trailjournals.com/entry.cfm?trailname=3277

Instagram hiking photos: five.leafed.clover

AT 4000+, LT, FHT, ALT Blissful's Avatar
    Journal Entries
    Images

Buy them. I look at them even now, planning routes, seeing elevation changes, noting where I might want to camp if I want solitude. Not having maps to me when in the wilderness is irresponsible. Sure some might say sarcastically - follow the white blazes - But after having our son lost once and us unable to follow the trail in Northern VA due to poor blazing, that teaches you otherwise. Plenty of other ways to save money, IMO. You can also do what we did. Look around, wait and hikers ending their hikes will sell maps. Or get some at discount at various places (for instance I saw the CT/MA map set with guidebook discounted 75% at our outdoor shop.) We have been picking up maps for the AT for a year or two now so we have the whole set - from ATC versions to National Geographic to AMC maps for the WHites.

Hiking Blog
    AT NOBO and SOBO, LT, FHT, ALT
    Shenandoah NP Ridgerunner, Author, Speaker

I usually hike alone, barring meeting anyone on the trail that day. So, I take my map. For all the reasons stated so far, and for all the reasons Jack will point out (and has done so repeatedly here on WB, thanks Jack ) taking your own set is the best idea.

Quote Originally Posted by saimyoji View Post
    I usually hike alone, barring meeting anyone on the trail that day. So, I take my map. For all the reasons stated so far, and for all the reasons Jack will point out (and has done so repeatedly here on WB, thanks Jack ) taking your own set is the best idea.

Of course I should have said: "...best idea for me." You may decide otherwise.

it's extremely stupid to hike without maps. especially for first timers on the AT.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
++ New Posts ++